Escape Trailer Storage Boxes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2007, 09:18 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I was interested in adding a tongue mounted storage box for sewer fittings and such but I didn’t want to spend the money to modify the tandem propane tank installation on my Escape Trailer. I happened to have the two metal lockers that are 10 inches wide, 6 inches deep and 16 inches tall and found that they fit really well on the side of the existing propane tanks. The pictures below shows the lockers that I installed on either side of the existing propane tanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Front_View.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	7020

The Escape trailer frame has a rectangular cross section that is the same dimensions as a wooden 2x4 so I used standard framing ties from the hardware store to install the lockers. I modified the framing ties as shown below to remove the sharp corners and trim the longer ties to fit. The framing ties on the right are as bought and the framing ties on the left are as trimmed.

Name:	Trimmed_Fittings.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	7021

The picture below shows the framing ties temporarily installed on the trailer.

Name:	Support_Fittings_Without_Storage_Box.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	7022

The left hand aft framing tie interfered with the trailer electrical harness so I trimmed off the flange as shown on the pictures shown below.

Name:	Left_Hand_Storage_Box_Support_Trim.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	7023

I ran out of photo space so I'll continue on the next posting.....
Attached Thumbnails
Left_Hand_Storage_Box_Support_Trim_2.JPG   Left_Hand_Storage_Box_Ready_for_Install___Front_View.JPG  

Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:20 PM   #2

Continued...

I bolted the lockers to the framing ties and bolted that assembly onto the trailer frame. I put a chain on the left hand locker to keep the door from hitting the trailer when open. Note that the bottom of the lockers are cut open and a steel grate is installed for ventilation. A series of drilled holes would have also provided adequate ventilation.

Name:	Left_Box_Open___Empty.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	7026

Since I use the lockers as shown below for hose and sewer fitting storage, I wanted good ventilation for drying out the contents.

Name:	Left_Box_Open___Full.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	7027

I may add a removable shelf across the tops of the lockers so I can mount my Honda EU2000 generator inside a shelf mounted storage box or carry around the fresh water hoses. I would need to insulate the mounts to cut down on vibrations and I would probably carry the generator in the TV while towing to keep tongue weight under control.

Name:	Front_View_with_Shelf.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	7029

I was not successful finding an internet source for lockers like mine, and I must admit I saved these from a trash pile 5 or 6 years ago. I suspect that there are sources for single lockers and that other concepts, like ammo cans, would work equally as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Right_Box_Open___Full.JPG  
Old 03-26-2007, 09:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
A Lady friend just had Reace install one of those polished stainless boxes across the front of their Escape. Have yet to see the results, but I (for one) am against adding any weight to the front of a trailer, but thats just MY thoughts relating to my towing situation!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:31 AM   #4

I was concerned about added tongue weight as well. I figure my boxes and contents added about 20 pounds which is about the same as 2 1/2 gallons of propane so I am good to go.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:09 AM   #5

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Thane,
That's a nice installation.
How much room is between the lockers? Enough for the generator? If not, could the lockers be moved apart? Oops, I was thinking of my battery-start Yamaha. The Honda requires room to pull-start the generator.
Anyway, nice use of "existing" material
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:53 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Adding weight to the front of a trailer is far less likely to be a problem than adding weight to the rear of a trailer -- It's generally better to have the tongue weight on the high side of the recommended range (10-12-15% of total trailer weight) than on the low side, esp when it comes to sway problems, unless the tow vehicle loading is critical.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape