U-Haul owners!!!!! - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #61

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Like, like, like for what Robert wrote (Perk)!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #62

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perk View Post
WOW I did not believe those type of places and people still existed! What a blessing to a bad situation. Hope progress is made as quickly as possible. Sorry it happened but not for the people you have met.
Isn't it a JOY when GOOD comes out of bad? Hope you are on yer way soon!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #63

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Continuing the saga:

We managed to remove the damaged part of the Eurovan, the double radiator fans. If the part comes in today, we go up there tonight and should be moving early tomorrow.

Fingers crossed!

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #64

Name: Perk
Trailer: Formerly U-Haul
Arizona
Registry
Cindy,

How did the day turn out? I have had my fingers, eyes and legs crossed all day on your behalf!

The wife says I may have even been a little cross with her too, not really ... just figurative for your benefit.

Perk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Continuing the saga:

We managed to remove the damaged part of the Eurovan, the double radiator fans. If the part comes in today, we go up there tonight and should be moving early tomorrow.

Fingers crossed!

CindyL
Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #65

Registry
Well, keep them crossed. We got to the VW place. Instead of a shroud and two fans, there was only one fan. So, since the fantastrophy left us with a shroud with one post broken and one corner broken, Kevin has been using Gorilla glue and epoxy to hold together the shroud. The VW guy said that if we don't use the AC, we can install the one fan and go.

So, fingers crossed, when we get it installed tomorrow, we are off to Cumberland Gap for the Shawnee Green Corn ceremony.

Very nervous though. I wish we were not in the mountains. I think they blew the fans to begin with. Internet reports that VW should have been called to task in a recall and/or class action suit. Many Eurovans and Realtas with the same issue.

Kevin promises that we will get out tomorrow AM even if it means a rental car.

These people are still wonderful (They gave us fresh sweet corn for supper tonight. Still staying in their cabin with cable and AC.). I am sure they will not accept money tomorrow, so we were trying to find out their church today without them knowing what we were up to. We wanted to send the minister a thank-you for public announcement. We doubt they will accept money tomorrow when we leave, but we thought that if not, we would donate to their church. Certainly, it looks like there are lots of folks around here who could use a bit of help with our donation.

Staying among the Hatfields and McCoys. I am related to the Hatfields. Had hoped to sneak up there today to the Hatfield cemetery, but when I searched online to British Eurovan forums, I found a posting that had enough info that Kevin started tearing apart the Eurovan to get at the fans. Then went to get the part.

CindyL

PS: In the meantime, our tree pooped a branch at home that had to be cut up and dragged away. The report is that my convertible just has minor scratches on the roof and that it is good we were gone. It landed where our camper and Eurovan would have been.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #66

Registry
We made it to our next site only a day late. The Eurovan was a trooper even with only 1 of the two radiator fans. We did not run AC and looked for the best roads. When we get home we know Kevin can do the full repair. Will just have to look for.the cheapest part. New it is 900.00.

CindyL
Old 07-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #67

Arizona
Registry
Glad to see such positive progress! Hope the rest of the trip is less eventful and you make it all the way home with the solo fan. Our best for you.

Quote:
We made it to our next site only a day late. The Eurovan was a trooper even with only 1 of the two radiator fans. We did not run AC and looked for the best roads. When we get home we know Kevin can do the full repair. Will just have to look for.the cheapest part. New it is 900.00.

CindyL
Old 07-28-2012, 04:39 AM   #68

Registry
Well we also lost our refridgerator on this trip. I noticed pop getting warmer and Kevin noticed the floor getting wetter. So we finally figured out that the fridge was defrosting. Yesterday when Kevin tested it at our new site the compressor was really hot and no cooling. So we ran to Walmart and got a small dorm one to put in temporarily.

We have had our 3 on this trip. Watch out everyone else!

CindyL
Old 07-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #69

Arizona
Registry
I wonder if the radiator fans being destroyed and their related electrical interruption could have caused a cascade effect that knocked the Frig off? I know NOTHING about electricity and could never even make a stupid guess as to what happened. I really am sorry that this is happening and the trip is so challenging. Just stay where you have cell service so at least we can find you if the need should arise. Just do not stay at an youth hostiles, or old summer school camp ground or take short cuts down dirt roads by old pig farms. Stay in well lighted areas ... I/we do not want anything else to happen. Lets hope for an upswing in good fortune from here forward.

Quote:
Well we also lost our refridgerator on this trip. I noticed pop getting warmer and Kevin noticed the floor getting wetter. So we finally figured out that the fridge was defrosting. Yesterday when Kevin tested it at our new site the compressor was really hot and no cooling. So we ran to Walmart and got a small dorm one to put in temporarily.

We have had our 3 on this trip. Watch out everyone else!

CindyL
Old 07-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #70

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Cindy: has AAA or Good Sam service been involved in any of this, I'm just curious as to how that may have worked out if you have it and used it. I'm getting a little off topic here, but at least it does involve a Uhaul!! Nothing worse than being broke down on the road, and I've done many roadcalls that just didn't go good so I know what it can be like. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #71

Registry
We have State Farm but we will have to file for reim. for the tow. Even then I wonder if they will cover the towing. To be honest these people were not going to charge but we insisted. The tow driver charged but not much for hauling the van and UHaul. Just wonderful helpful people.

CindyL
Old 07-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #72

New York
I have AAA Premier with the extra RV coverage which was only about $20 extra. Never used it. Good Sam is always trying to get me to sign up for their RV coverage which is around $75 for the first year but I heard it doubles for the second year. There was a recent discussion on this topic, not sure if it was here or the tnttt site. I usually try to help people that are broke down, it happens fairly often by my house as we are right at the exit of a parkway, lots of people lost too, and cars turning around here at least a few times every day.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #73

Registry
Headed home tomorrow. Had a good day at Piqua Shawnee Green Corn with cousins. Staying at a hotel tomorrow PM since we will be driving all day without AC.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #74

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Well, we are home in Oak Park, IL again! The biggest pain in driving without the AC is not the heat, it's the noise from the big trucks going by on the interstate. We kept the van at about 58 mph and the single cooling fan only kicked in at the end of the trip, so the engine was getting enough cooling from the highway motion. I'll order another fan for the AC side tonight off eBay.

We did not have either AAA or Good Sam for roadside assistance. It hasn't seemed that either was price-effective for us, but I'll look again. As Cindy said, we do have the State Farm towing coverage, so I'll hand that in for reimbursement.

I don't think the fridge had anything to do with the fans failing, since the fridge started getting warm BEFORE we had the fans blow out. The fridge runs on 110 from land power, so it shouldn't be a connected issue.

Interesting thing about the fans is that all 10 fan blades were broken off the 2 fans. I can't imagine that all happened at once, so maybe we were running on just one fan for quite a while!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #75

Florida
Registry
Hey Uhaulers Come ON down (or over, or up)

Cherokee, North Carolina FG Egg Rally!!!
Oct 11-14 Check this thread out:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-nc-52749.html

Imagine the Smoky Mountains in mid-Oct, It will be GLORIOUS and lots to see and do! This is where it's at:

Happy Holiday RV Village, RV Park Rates, Cherokee, NC 28719

(It is hard to see the site map link, because of the lettering, but it is in in the brown box about 2/3 of the way down on the left side of the home page).
Old 08-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #76

Name: Becky & Dave
Trailer: U haul '82 CT13 & Casita 17' Deluxe
Oregon
Can't get on web site...help!

I am unable to access the uhaul camper site because I can't remember my user name it's needed to get password. There is no way for me to contact the administrator without it. Can anyone who is able to access the site send them my email so that I can get the user name and password. You would likely need my email address and if you private message me I can give it to you. Thanks anyone.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #77

Florida
Registry
Accessto UHaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky B View Post
I am unable to access the uhaul camper site because I can't remember my user name it's needed to get password. There is no way for me to contact the administrator without it. Can anyone who is able to access the site send them my email so that I can get the user name and password. You would likely need my email address and if you private message me I can give it to you. Thanks anyone.
I'll PM you...
Old 08-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #78

Arizona
Registry
Have you been able to get the fans fix and all repairs completed? Hope all is good and your school year is started off well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A
Well, we are home in Oak Park, IL again! The biggest pain in driving without the AC is not the heat, it's the noise from the big trucks going by on the interstate. We kept the van at about 58 mph and the single cooling fan only kicked in at the end of the trip, so the engine was getting enough cooling from the highway motion. I'll order another fan for the AC side tonight off eBay.

We did not have either AAA or Good Sam for roadside assistance. It hasn't seemed that either was price-effective for us, but I'll look again. As Cindy said, we do have the State Farm towing coverage, so I'll hand that in for reimbursement.

I don't think the fridge had anything to do with the fans failing, since the fridge started getting warm BEFORE we had the fans blow out. The fridge runs on 110 from land power, so it shouldn't be a connected issue.

Interesting thing about the fans is that all 10 fan blades were broken off the 2 fans. I can't imagine that all happened at once, so maybe we were running on just one fan for quite a while!
Old 08-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #79

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I was at the UHaul forum today and it is a little quiet. If anyone has some UHaul related news or topics, bang some pots and pans over there.

A new poster there installed a new axle with brakes, which I'd love to see pictured.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #80

New York
Tom: What's involved in registering over there. We tried some time ago but didn't get anywhere.

Tags
u-haul