UHaul Window Awnings - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
UHaul Window Awnings

I wanted side window awnings to allow me to open the windows in the rain. The nicest design that I've seen is Jason's( kirkman), so I unapologetically stole it.

I found some extruded aluminum at the scrap yard in a C section, which I painted and attached with 3M VHB tape and sealed to the surface with butyl putty. Also from the scrap yard, 1" aluminum pole, 1/2" aluminum tubing.

The fabric is Sunbrella from eBay. The rubber tips are from a local big box store. I used polyester outdoor rated thread to sew it and a soldering gun with cutting tip to cut it. The turned ends are from a hobby store.

I made an aluminum bracket to attach the nylon tensioning strap and VHB taped it to the side. The nylon strap locks with a cam lock fitting to hold it tight.

The entire thing comes apart and rolls up in a case that I made from the excess material.

Due to the curvature of the UHaul I had to mount the C channel centered over the window, though to block rain, it is desirable to overlap the opening part of the window more. I am able to slide the whole awning back about 6" due to the wooden stick that secures the fabric in the C channel mounting (as shown in one picture).
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4036.JPG   IMG_4038.JPG  

IMG_4048.JPG   IMG_4047.JPG  

IMG_4042.JPG   IMG_4035.JPG  

IMG_4049.JPG   IMG_4050.JPG  

Old 06-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #2

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Great looking mod!

Same color and material as my awnings! That Sunbrella really holds up well. I hope to post some pics, in a few weeks, after my next sortie.

NIce job, well done!!!
Old 06-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Really nice modification, Tom! I like how small it packs too
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #4

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Neat. I need those on our 5ver because it is easy to forget the windows are open until you discover it at bedtime and you end up sleeping on the table bed and drying the sheets with a blow dryer and the bed with the portable heater.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #5

Name: Benjamin
Trailer: Uhaul ct-13
Michigan
Tom they look great. I am placing an order for my uhaul! Nice job
uhaulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtriceflt View Post
Same color and material as my awnings! That Sunbrella really holds up well. I hope to post some pics, in a few weeks, after my next sortie.

NIce job, well done!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Really nice modification, Tom! I like how small it packs too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
Neat. I need those on our 5ver because it is easy to forget the windows are open until you discover it at bedtime and you end up sleeping on the table bed and drying the sheets with a blow dryer and the bed with the portable heater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhaulin View Post
Tom they look great. I am placing an order for my uhaul! Nice job
Thanks. It was a fun project and hopefully they will work out OK.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #7

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Tom

Your welcome !!!!! Nice steal. I'm glad you liked and used my design.
Jason
Old 06-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #8

I just got back from a couple of days of camping, some of it with rain and the awnings worked great - no water came in the windows. To be fair, there was no blowing rain, but I'm a happy camper.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #9

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Tom you did it again! Great job, they look fantastic!!!!!!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #10

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Genius!
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:50 AM   #11

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Tom
Are you taking orders? I would like something in a brown with embroidery! Great job.
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Tom you did it again! Great job, they look fantastic!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
Genius!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
Tom
Are you taking orders? I would like something in a brown with embroidery! Great job.
Thanks. The good news is that these were actually pretty easy to make. I made it harder by adding the turned wood ends and using aluminum tubes, but wooden dowels would be fine and much easier to work with.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #13

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
Looks great Tom. Good job!
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 02:23 PM   #14

Name: D Jean
Trailer: Hunter I
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I wanted side window awnings to allow me to open the windows in the rain. The nicest design that I've seen is Jason's( kirkman), so I unapologetically stole it.

I found some extruded aluminum at the scrap yard in a C section, which I painted and attached with 3M VHB tape and sealed to the surface with butyl putty. Also from the scrap yard, 1" aluminum pole, 1/2" aluminum tubing.

The fabric is Sunbrella from eBay. The rubber tips are from a local big box store. I used polyester outdoor rated thread to sew it and a soldering gun with cutting tip to cut it. The turned ends are from a hobby store.

I made an aluminum bracket to attach the nylon tensioning strap and VHB taped it to the side. The nylon strap locks with a cam lock fitting to hold it tight.

The entire thing comes apart and rolls up in a case that I made from the excess material.

Due to the curvature of the UHaul I had to mount the C channel centered over the window, though to block rain, it is desirable to overlap the opening part of the window more. I am able to slide the whole awning back about 6" due to the wooden stick that secures the fabric in the C channel mounting (as shown in one picture).
Looks great. I would like to make some for my Hunter. How long are the poles that hold the awning away from the camper, and how long is the awning that stretches away from the window?
D Jean Fullerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 03:25 PM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Jean Fullerton View Post
Looks great. I would like to make some for my Hunter. How long are the poles that hold the awning away from the camper, and how long is the awning that stretches away from the window?
Note that these posts are from 2013, and I believe Tom left this group years ago.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 03:35 PM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Note that these posts are from 2013, and I believe Tom left this group years ago.
According to his user profile, last activity was as recently as 4/25/22.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 05:06 AM   #17

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
Tom's idea is a good one, and a good use of scrounged materials.
You could duplicate the function of it with "store-bought" materials, of course, and eliminate the scrounging.

Our CT has a shade awning made of a lightweight 6x8 canvas painter's drop cloth... with "keder" strip sewn to one edge, and an aluminum "keder rail" fixed to the shell with double-stick tape & a few aluminum rivets. (NOT steel)
If you used the keder rail & strip, you'd just cut the rail & strip to the lengths you wanted over the windows, fasten it to the material of your choice, etc, etc.
A loop in the outboard end could then hold small-diameter pvc pipe from Lowe's or some such..........

https://www.amazon.com/Keder-Awning-...2524837&sr=8-2
Attached Thumbnails
18-0522 SwedePoint trip 02a.jpg  

Tags
uhaul