My best add-on: Air conditionned in my U-haul CT-13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #1

Name: Dan
Trailer: U-Haul CT-13 1985
Quebec
My best add-on: Air conditionned in my U-haul CT-13

I did a lot of cosmetic and useful upgrades this winter to my little camper and just completed the installation of an air conditionned. The installation has been done like the one of George Lauver's camper and this is my most useful mod. Thanks George for sharing your mods...

I don't know if I am alone but these little eggs are becoming quite hot during the hot and humid days. I found it hard to have a good sleep. Maybe it is because we have a central air conditionned at home. Anyway, since the installation on my 6000 BTU window type cooling unit under a seat, I am in love with my egg.

I just wanted to share some pics of my installation:
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 003.jpg   Picture 006.jpg  

Picture 019.jpg   Image00015.jpg  

Image00010.jpg   Image00018.jpg  

Image00001.jpg   Image00011.jpg  

Image00033.jpg   Image00029.jpg  

Youhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Very nice job!

Where did you buy the plastic that you used to make the mounting base for the AC unit?
Old 06-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have always been a fan of built in a/c along the floor because I do not like the top hat look on the outside. I also like you install in it's ability to seal off winter weather, something Eggcamper and Parkliner does not do.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #4

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Very nice job!

Where did you buy the plastic that you used to make the mounting base for the AC unit?
I use to be a real estate agent and had remaining plastic support for the "front house advertising".

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #5

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have always been a fan of built in a/c along the floor because I do not like the top hat look on the outside. I also like you install in it's ability to seal off winter weather, something Eggcamper and Parkliner does not do.
I was also worried by the additionnal weight of a roof mounted unit. The only problem I found with this bottom install is the fact that the cold air stay in the bottom. I had to make a vertical deflector because the only one on this little Danby unit was for horizontal position.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #6

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Looks great, that should keep it cool if not cold.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #7

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
That is one sweet little CT! Good condition and thoughtful modification. Priceless! And now you can hole up and say Aaaahhh all summer long, Dan.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #8

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
That is one sweet little CT! Good condition and thoughtful modification. Priceless! And now you can hole up and say Aaaahhh all summer long, Dan.

jack
HOOOOO YES... I will enjoy my little house all around the country. Good summer to you Jack in your Burro.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #9

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Great mods--all of them! I really like the bamboo ceiling mod. Enjoy your summer camping.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #10

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youhauler View Post
I was also worried by the additionnal weight of a roof mounted unit. The only problem I found with this bottom install is the fact that the cold air stay in the bottom. I had to make a vertical deflector because the only one on this little Danby unit was for horizontal position.
Ditto Mr. Dan, all nicely done and esp. that a/c!!! As you know, a fantastic or any exhaust fan overhead will move the hot air out and bring that cooler air up! There is no way I could use my CT down here in Florida
,this time of year, without a/c...
Old 06-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #11

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
Great mods--all of them! I really like the bamboo ceiling mod. Enjoy your summer camping.
Thanks Otters. Here are more pics of this ceiling mod.
Attached Thumbnails
P1070075.jpg   P1070091.jpg  

P1070098.jpg   P1070290.jpg  

Old 06-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #12

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Beautiful trailer, great job on the AC, and I love your user-name!
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #13

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtriceflt View Post
Ditto Mr. Dan, all nicely done and esp. that a/c!!! As you know, a fantastic or any exhaust fan overhead will move the hot air out and bring that cooler air up! There is no way I could use my CT down here in Florida
,this time of year, without a/c...
Thanks for your nice comments. I can understand you. Imagine I live in Quebec, Canada where the weather is a lot colder than Florida and even here I consider an A/C a must have. I agree with you that running the top fan helps to exhaust hot air.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #14

Delaware
Dan, I'm assuming the centerline strip (aluminum flat strap maybe?) is screwed to the wood blocks bonded to the glass ceiling at intervals thru the Reflectix. I don't know what stickum you used but I can see the squiggle on the block so guess it's a caulk gun adhesive. The Escondido Burros used plywood blocks adhered with polyester body filler to catch screws thru a thin upholstered Naugahyde centerline panel. The screw heads were covered by white snap-top screw covers to match the white Naugahyde. Did you also use a contact cement between the Reflectix and the bambo?

jack
Old 06-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #15

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Dan, I'm assuming the centerline strip (aluminum flat strap maybe?) is screwed to the wood blocks bonded to the glass ceiling at intervals thru the Reflectix. I don't know what stickum you used but I can see the squiggle on the block so guess it's a caulk gun adhesive. The Escondido Burros used plywood blocks adhered with polyester body filler to catch screws thru a thin upholstered Naugahyde centerline panel. The screw heads were covered by white snap-top screw covers to match the white Naugahyde. Did you also use a contact cement between the Reflectix and the bambo?

jack
I used Lepage PL Premium construction adesive to hold plywood blocks on the roof. Then I installed an anodised aluminium bar moulded to the roof with stainless steel screws in the newly installed wood blocks. This center bar is just there to firmly hold the bamboo in place because on the side, it is only installed in a plastic track.

Dan
Old 06-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #16

Delaware
Your ceiling attachment method (channels at sides and a batten w/ mechanical fastening in the middle) warrants attention by those who have had trouble doing this headliner job with spray adhesives alone.

jack
Old 06-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #17

Name: Betty
Trailer: Trillium
Arizona
YouHauler
I have got an old Trillium 4500, I have got to A/C the trailer and your mod looks like something I would like to do, I tried a portable unit but the backflow limited it's effectiveness and was told by the Mfg that the 8000 BTU unit was to large for the trailer and that was the reason it did not work. approx. 70sqft
Questions:
I take it the 2 round plugs is for the exhaust if not how did you exhaust to the outside and I assume you did not have a back flow issue.
What is the brand name of the unit and what was the dimension,
I need any help I can get.
Booper
booper52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #18

Name: Rob
Trailer: U Haul CT 13
Florida
Does the A/C require a drain of some sort? If so, how did you address this?
rockead rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:18 AM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockead rob View Post
Does the A/C require a drain of some sort? If so, how did you address this?
I think that the black circle in the middle of the AC mounting plate is the drain.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:34 AM   #20

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by booper52 View Post
YouHauler
I have got an old Trillium 4500, I have got to A/C the trailer and your mod looks like something I would like to do, I tried a portable unit but the backflow limited it's effectiveness and was told by the Mfg that the 8000 BTU unit was to large for the trailer and that was the reason it did not work. approx. 70sqft
Questions:
I take it the 2 round plugs is for the exhaust if not how did you exhaust to the outside and I assume you did not have a back flow issue.
What is the brand name of the unit and what was the dimension,
I need any help I can get.
Booper
Hi booper,

The model I used is Danby DAC 6011E 6000BTU but I guess that any 5000-6000 BTU will work. However, to function properly, you need to install it correctly. There are two separate air path in this unit. The first one is for inside and the second one is for outside. Because the unis is fully enclosed inside the trailer, you must create this outside path artificially with an INLET and OUTLET access hole. I gave you a picture showing what I mean. Also, you need a wall to isolate the air path under the seat. I also sent you a picture of this wall.

Hope this answer your questions.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
principe.jpg   Top_coved_removed.jpg  

Tags
u-haul