Bigfoot compared to Escape - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Bigfoot compared to Escape

Living on the east coast I'm unable to look over both the Bigfoot and the Escapes (I have seen a couple Escapes), if anyone has done so can you please let me know what your opinions are of the two. Looking at the 21'ers on the web sites I show the Bigfoot (rear bed) a foot wider, 1200 lbs heavier, 2 door fridge, a dry bath, and a considerably higher price. Is the higher price justified, if so what's your opinion on why?

I tried searching but can't figure out how to have the results show only posts with both Bigfoot and Escape in them so I get way too many results to read.
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Well the good news is if you call either company and ask them to set it up for you to go and see first hand the trailer you are interested in close to were you are located. So you dont need to guess at what either looks like in real life.

When searching this forum for best results use the very bottom Search box that says Google on the drop down list that appears on the main search function.

Bigfoots and Escapes IMHO are two very different trailers built for two different target markets. I tend to look at it as I would cars - one is a mid ranged very nicely built fully functional family SUV that will run for years while the other is a fully loaded high end SUV that will also last for years but is a bit bigger and has lots of eye candy that you could probable live with out if your pockets are not that deep. Both *very nicely built* trailers though. The Bigfoots are normally larger - in all ways - so much heavier as a result.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #3

W. Mass
Thanks Carol, I'll try the Google search.

That's much better...

There seems to be plenty of threads on the subject, at least the pre 21'ers. Have some reading to do.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
Thanks Carol, I'll try the Google search.

That's much better...

There seems to be plenty of threads on the subject, at least the pre 21'ers. Have some reading to do.
As I said all you have to do is call each company and they will find you a trailer close by to go and look at in real life. I have found personally that nothing beats sitting in a trailer to help decide.

I BTW LOVE both brands of trailers - dont think you can go wrong with either!

If the sticker price of the Bigfoot doesnt cause you any pain keep in mind that extra weight may result in few extra dips into your pocket. Lower MPG for sure due to the extra weight will result in extra stops at the gas pump. I also know of more than one person who has gone off and picked up new to them Bigfoot 21's with fairly new trucks - such as a Toyota Tacoma V6 for example only to find while towing it home that the truck did not give them the performance level they thought it would pulling the trailer, especially when pulling through mountains. Or they have put the fairly lightly loaded trailer on the scales on the way home only to discover they are at or over their tow cap.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #5

W. Mass
I've already got a contact for the Escape, just waiting it's arrival. I dropped Bigfoot an email about finding a local one.

I'm aware of the added costs involved in one over the other, I do however prefer to keep my wife happy. She was not keen on the width and bath in the Escape 19 we looked at a couple years ago. I think she's softened on the marine bath after all the Truck Campers we looked at and liked.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Very simple answer, Bob. Both are high quality Canadian made trailers, BigFoot has closed and reopened due to financial reasons. Bigfoot is heavier and wider. Bigfoot will cost about 5K more than a comparable Escape. But the difference is customization. Escape will customize your trailer to the way you want it. You want to add or move an outlet or 12v plug, they will, you want to make the bed into a dinette and the dinette into a bed, they will, you want a "U" shaped dinette or delete the microwave, they will. You want to add a window or move the sink, they will. You customize it your way, like the burger commercial "Have it your way", not the factory way.
BigFoot does not make it your way.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
I do however prefer to keep my wife happy. She was not keen on the width and bath in the Escape 19 we looked at a couple years ago. I think she's softened on the marine bath after all the Truck Campers we looked at and liked.
Well the good news is she might actually like the bathroom in the 21' as it appears to me anyways to be much bigger or perhaps your wife would like to hear me use the world "luxurious" than whats in the 19' - may simple be due to the difference in the entry door placement though.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
BigFoot does not make it your way.
Not entirely true. They will do minor changes for you such as adding outlets or no microwave etc but your correct no major layout changes from those they have published.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #9

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
Boy am I glad I read this thread. I WAS looking for a 21' Bigfoot. The only one in the Trailer Weights in the Real World is enormously heavy. I guess I won't as my 3/4 ton won't handle it.

Bigfoot is solidly at the end of the list.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The 17.5' BigFoot shown at the recent Pomona, CA RV show was show priced at $39,000+ with a MSPR of $47k. Looks like they have moved into Airstream prices.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #11

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
If you are looking in this price range you should also consider the Oliver 22 footer. It has standard options that are outstanding. Weight wise, it should come in somewhere between the other two. I am waiting on our 22 footer to be completed to our exact specifications and have no idea exactly what its dry weight will be. Based on Bob's Bigfoot price above, I would also expect the Oliver to fall in the middle. None of them are inexpensive but you've apparently already realized that. I can attest to Oliver's reputation for wonderful customer service both before and after the sale. I have never heard of them telling a customer "We can't do that...". They are still not next door to you, but much closer in Hohenwald, TN. This will be our second trailer we have bought from them.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #12

W. Mass
I had looked into the Oliver before they shutdown a few years back, good to see they are back in production. Nice trailer to be sure but no permanent bed unless you leave the rear dinette setup as such. Also it is even narrower then the Escape 19, so it's out.

A web search shows the 21' Bigfoot going for $40k at Camper Outlet in Tualatin, OR.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #13

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
I WAS looking for a 21' Bigfoot. The only one in the Trailer Weights in the Real World is enormously heavy. I guess I won't as my 3/4 ton won't handle it.

Bigfoot is solidly at the end of the list.
The problem with that one example is it is not like other 21' Bigfoot Rear Bed models. It was a new trailer that had an optional full width cargo box in front which added 2' to the total length; in effect a 21 footer's body on a 23' frame. That one trailer was way heavier than the normal Bigfoot 21' Rear Bed because of the added box on front.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #14

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
I had looked into the Oliver before they shutdown a few years back, good to see they are back in production. Nice trailer to be sure but no permanent bed unless you leave the rear dinette setup as such. Also it is even narrower then the Escape 19, so it's out.

A web search shows the 21' Bigfoot going for $40k at Camper Outlet in Tualatin, OR.

Camper Outlet in Tualatin Or. has IN STOCK a new 2013 17.5 that is a customer cancellation for sale for $32098 with a MSRP of $42703 . You can see it on Craigslist, Portland ,Or.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #15

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Bob, we know of people who have had both and the Escape tows better because it is narrower, and is known for tracking well. Our Escape is only 3" wider on each side than our TV. A Bigfoot is not only wider but has a much larger frontal area which of course catches the wind more and decreases MPG. That is before figuring in the considerably higher weight.

Of course, there are those who want that extra interior area and don't mind paying the higher prices or getting an appropriate tow vehicle. The Bigfoot has a very large front window also which may be appealing. It depends on how important these factors are to you, including a dry bath. Ease of towing is a big deal to us.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #16

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
It was a new trailer that had an optional full width cargo box in front which added 2' to the total length.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
a new 2013 17.5 that is a customer cancellation for sale for $32098 with a MSRP of $42703 .
This trailer has the same optional storage box I mentioned before. This is a 17.5' trailer's body on a 19.5' frame.
Attached Thumbnails
00J0J_1bt6mA0VBY6_600x450.jpg   00S0S_2beTHDIQPmS_600x450.jpg  

Old 10-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #17

Registry
I like that newer Bigfoot 17.5 layout better than the two other plans..... keep hoping someone will buy one and then decide to let it go cheap and fast..... I know I know but I like dreaming!
Old 10-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm with Carol. If I was looking to buy a Bigfoot 17... THAT would be the floorplan I would want. Oh wait! That floorplan is kinda like the Escape 5er... imagine that
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #19

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
I want the bigfoot for the width. I am willing to pay the (tow) price. I can't afford any TT new so I keep looking for a used one. If I lived in Canada it would be a bit easier.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #20

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Love my Bigfoot plenty of room to move around in.
Tows like any other brand.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, escape