U-Haul curtain rods - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #1

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
U-Haul curtain rods

Anyone have a picture of the original setup for curtains in the U-Haul CT? I see the four holes at the edges of the windows and wonder how the rods were held in place.

Sharon D
(who is still thinking but not yet made any changes to her CT)
Sharon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Uhaul used a coated springy type rod at the top and bottom of the window. The mounting holes should have a plastic insert in them into which a sheet metal type screw goes to hold the rods. If the plastic inserts are missing you should be able to get them at a hardware store, or I got mine at an auto parts store that has many small packages of various body fasteners. The inserts come in different sizes (for different hole sizes), so you may have to experiment there. The marker lights are attached the same way, as is most other stuff that attaches to the fiberglass. Some of the holes I had to file out to be square because the inserts would turn in the holes. IMPORTANT!! check the depth of the space between the inner and outer walls so as to use the correct length screw. It varies throughout the trailer. A couple places on our Uhaul a previous owner used too long a screw and it went right through the outer shell. I haven't found a source for the springy rods, but I believe at one time it was reported they were available from Lowes or Home Depot. I made my rods from 1/4" steel rod flattened on the ends and drilled a hole for the screw. You do have an anvil for that, right??? LOL Note, I edited the hole depth comment, reread it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #3

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon D View Post
Anyone have a picture of the original setup for curtains in the U-Haul CT? I see the four holes at the edges of the windows and wonder how the rods were held in place.

Sharon D
(who is still thinking but not yet made any changes to her CT)
Ms. Sharon,
Originally, it was this stuff that works quite well (top and bottom) 4M Expanding White Curtain Voil Net Wire with 6 Hooks Eyes Doors Windows | eBay

The little eyelets screw into the wire ends and they fasten to the inserts with a screw, like Mr. Bob said. Go stainless for a nice touch. You might find the wire at Lowes, I don't know. Incidentally Lowes stocks the Hillman nylon inserts in various sizes and they are quite reasonable.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #4

New York
Mary made our curtains, and we only use a top rod. Easier to open and shut.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #5

Massachusetts
Registry
I am sure that Mary made lovely curtains There are already curtain rods in my CT (and there were curtains) but I like the idea of top and bottom rods to make the curtain closer to the wall. I am trying to do things to help the trailer feel more spacious. That will include shrinking the oversized cushion on the front couch area (and making it in three pieces so it will be easier to get things in and out of storage. I also bought a telescoping table stand and intend to make a smaller table so I can get in and out of the kitchenette easier.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I got my spring curtain rods from ebay. They were shipped from Britain.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #7

New York
We had a patio door curtain that had been used only a short time, so that's what our curtains are made of. In our camper the rear stays made up as a bed with a one piece foam for a mattress. Front couch is 2/3 solid cushion from left front over, just inside door we have mounted a swivel seat from a Casita. That long cushion was a pain to move to get in the storage spaces. I have seen where some owners cut an opening in the side of those storage areas to make for easier access. We don't use the bin inserts as there is much more storage space without them. Our front bunk assembly was missing. Stove & hood are removed, counter top extended both ends. On the rare occasions that we needed to eat inside we use a folding aluminum table.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:46 PM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Yep, I have the same curtain wire, and bought it from the UK, same as the link Don posted. It works great.

Since I bought my UHaul in 2005, I've made a 'few' changes from the original UH design . I just updated at the end of this thread with my latest updates too.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...per-52133.html
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:18 AM   #9

Registry
Depending on how many travel with you, many people turn the front into a dinette and leave the rear made into a bed. We did that with our previously owned Burro. We used captain chair tops as seats, added swivels and cushions, and then used a TV table as the table. The seats became the covers to the storage bins. In our Uhaul VT, the front is already made into a dinette with seat and their cushions over the storage bins.

CindyL
Old 11-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #10

Massachusetts
Registry
I am looking at EBay right now. In order to do all 4 windows (and maybe the door) what length did you choose?
Old 11-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon D View Post
I am looking at EBay right now. In order to do all 4 windows (and maybe the door) what length did you choose?
Since my UHaul already had the little mounting holes, I just measured my windows from 'hole to hole' and ordered the total amount (double the measurement on each window if you want to do top and bottom).

When installing them, you'll cut them slightly 'short' of the width. Because you will gently 'stretch' them to install them, you'll have a little extra.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #12

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
I used welding rods for the curtain wires with a sort of circle on the ends for the screws. Be sure to measure both top and bottom lengths as I found they were not the same. My friend made me dragonfly fabric curtains. I'm happy!!
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #13

Registry
Mine came in a bag. I must have cut lengths. We did not have hooks, so I had to find those too. I hung curtains only from the top though.

CindyL
Old 11-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #14

Registry
the curtain wire that is listed on Ebay (see post #3 above) will come with the appropriate hardware.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #15

Massachusetts
Registry
Also sold through Amazon.com by ONESTOPDIY and DIRECT HARDWARE although the shipping rates are twice as much as the wire. Many different lengths offered. CURTAIN NET EXPANDING WIRE WHITE 8 METRE ( 8M ) WITH 12 HOOKS & 12 EYES CP - Amazon.com
Old 05-28-2014, 07:21 PM   #16

Massachusetts
Registry
Just to update this, The curtain wire is great. I ended up buying the plastic grommets from NAPA auto parts, and needed to buy larger eyes than came with the wire set. But at 39 cents an eye, it all worked out well. The placement of the holes by Uhaul was annoyingly inconsistent though.

Tags
u-haul