Found a 84 U-haul need help wiring - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #1

Name: Roger
Trailer: Nomad
Nevada
Found a 84 U-haul need help wiring

I found a 84 U-haul in decent shape. How ever some of the marker lights have been by passed by some nipple head business. Can you get to the internal wiring going to the marker liights on these or they completely incapsulated from the factory?

These are for the amber lights

Nothing drives me more nuts than having a light out on trailers. Even if I have one marker light out I have to fix it.

Is there any access pannels to get to the trailer wiring?

How do you access the wiring? What happens if some dough head drops the wring down between the walls? Are you S.O.L?

Thanks!
RV NUT CASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:57 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Wiring in the Uhauls is a little odd, if it is original. Assuming original; there were two cords, one out each side of the tongue. One cord fed some of the marker lights and the rest were on the other cord. The main connections to the markers were under the sink where you will have to remove the cabinet liner if it is there. The other side has a connector under the closet area that you may access through the rear storage area, remove bin if it is in there. Uhaul used those scotch lock pinch on connectors that can be a problem. If you remove a marker light there will be a ground wire under one screw. You should be able to fish wires down through the wall into the storage areas. Be sure to seal under the markers if you remove them as that is a typical leak area. I rewired our whole trailer other than what was in the walls because some of that old wire cord was cracked right down to bare wire.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:16 PM   #3

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Wiring in the Uhauls is a little odd, if it is original. Assuming original; there were two cords, one out each side of the tongue. One cord fed some of the marker lights and the rest were on the other cord. The main connections to the markers were under the sink where you will have to remove the cabinet liner if it is there. The other side has a connector under the closet area that you may access through the rear storage area, remove bin if it is in there. Uhaul used those scotch lock pinch on connectors that can be a problem. If you remove a marker light there will be a ground wire under one screw. You should be able to fish wires down through the wall into the storage areas. Be sure to seal under the markers if you remove them as that is a typical leak area. I rewired our whole trailer other than what was in the walls because some of that old wire cord was cracked right down to bare wire.

I was thinking of using a fish tape when you open up a hole for a marker light and drop it down fish new wire through the front from the tounge, Just thinking, Never seen one period. So I have no idea what I am dealing with. I am going to have to get this gal way down the price. It needs tires electrical work and some clown put out side GFI on the out side of expose to all the water snow rain no weather cover no nothing just a plug end exposed to the out side elements, Looks like they cut a big hole on the side of the trailer and slapped in this interior 110 plug in. Some people should not do electrical end of story. I have done a lot of wiring on stick built travel trailers but nothing like this. I take it you cannot use standard trailer side markers lights? When I do wiring I use gum tape on the light and seal them real good I don't cut corners when it comes to electrical.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:52 PM   #4

New York
Uhaul used plastic inserts in the fiberglass for the marker light screws to go into. New lights are available from Uhaul but they are made by Arrow so they should be available locally or any light with the same distance between screw holes. Use butyl tape under them. I fished wires down between the walls by just using a thin stiff wire. There may not be room for a fish tape. Maybe it's something simple, bad or loose bulb or bad ground connection under the light. Most of the wiring is accessible under or inside the trailer.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:29 AM   #5

Nevada
Quote:
Uhaul used plastic inserts in the fiberglass for the marker light screws to go into. New lights are available from Uhaul but they are made by Arrow so they should be available locally or any light with the same distance between screw holes. Use butyl tape under them. I fished wires down between the walls by just using a thin stiff wire. There may not be room for a fish tape. Maybe it's something simple, bad or loose bulb or bad ground connection under the light. Most of the wiring is accessible under or inside the trailer.
The butyl tape is the same as the gum tape I mentioned. I use it religiously when I wire or install lighting.

When I talked to her today she was going over some of the work she had done on the trailer and one notation was the shop she took it too , I guess it was a shop stated they could not get the wiring figured out for the amber lights so they by passed the circuit all together.

Like I said there are people out there that have no business doing electrical. I do not know or have a clue what they did or how they by passed it. The trailer is quite aways away from me.

If I can ding her down quite a bit I will go get it. I think this would be a good learning tool for me.

Two things I go going for me. It's fall going into winter and the country is in really bad shape. Nobody now days has any money burning a hole in their pocket.

I still would like to get it and redo all the wiring in it I think it would be a fun job. I like doing wiring
Old 09-28-2014, 02:07 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Pretty much everyone says that with an older trailer with wiring problems you just take all the old stuff out and start new. Faster, cheaper and less stress. There really isn't a whole lot to it. If I was looking at an older unit, the wiring wouldn't be an issue as long as I had lights to get it home, even if I had to take some temp lites to zip tie to the bumper. Others have done that also. Good luck to you.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:34 AM   #7

New York
I wouldn't be much concerned about a couple lights not working. These trailers do not come up for sale often.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #8

Nevada
Quote:
I wouldn't be much concerned about a couple lights not working. These trailers do not come up for sale often.
The wiring or lights is no issue at all I am just wanting some imput from you guys on how I should proceed if I get it. I have never worked on one of these nor even seen one in person. So its all news to me. This is where I need your guys expertese.

I do agree completely that the best thing to do is drop all new wiring into place and all new lights possible make a new junction to tie everything into place that is easy to access. like I said I really enjoy wiring and I know I would really love to work on this trailer. So again wiring is not an issue. If it had a huge busted hole in the roof then we would be talking another story. I would pass on it. I don't know if she will come way down on the price or not but it does need some work which I am capable and willing to do to get it looking first class.

You guys are a lot of help thanks a bunch!
Old 09-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #9

New York
Probably the sure thing is that the marker light wiring main connections are in the center on each side of the trailer, that is under the sink and under the closet area. The wires then run up in the walls and in several places they are glued to the walls so you can't pull them back out. You may find wiring that has become unglued and hanging inside the overhead cabinets or closet area. With a trailer this age you never know how the wiring has been modified or butchered up. So without some pictures it is hard to tell what is there. I understand your question of how it is wired, but that's the best info I can give for now without more description of what is there. Since I rewired our Uhaul I don't remember just how the markers were wired, but I do know they were split between two cords that came out the tongue.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #10

Nevada
Quote:
Probably the sure thing is that the marker light wiring main connections are in the center on each side of the trailer, that is under the sink and under the closet area. The wires then run up in the walls and in several places they are glued to the walls so you can't pull them back out. You may find wiring that has become unglued and hanging inside the overhead cabinets or closet area. With a trailer this age you never know how the wiring has been modified or butchered up. So without some pictures it is hard to tell what is there. I understand your question of how it is wired, but that's the best info I can give for now without more description of what is there. Since I rewired our Uhaul I don't remember just how the markers were wired, but I do know they were split between two cords that came out the tongue.
I totally agree with you on rewiring this trailer when I rewire a trailer no matter what it is I usuall go over kill. So with the old being glued on the inside I guess would have to leave the old in place and just drop all new down inside the walls.

Thanks for the reply I at least know what I am getting into if she comes down on the price and I get it. I will make her and offer later this week. Don't want her to think I am desperate . I do think it would be fun to fix up though. I am trying not to get excited but I cannot help it.

Tags
u-haul