big foot battery question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2016, 12:24 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Big Foot
Alberta
big foot battery question

my 97 bigfoot has two batteries and am wondering what kind of batteries they are ?
I actually think they are pooched as they read 2 volts.
I am looking at replacing them so should I get gell batteries or regular car batteries ?
Wondering if they are 6 volt ? and can I install two 12volt instead and if that is a benefit ?

thnx
Alberta Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:56 AM   #2

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
You can use either 6v in series or 12v in parallel. People do both.
The general sense is that 6v golf batteries have more power and reliability, 12 v less costly, still useable if one goes bad, and more readily available when needed.
Walt
Old 08-26-2016, 06:46 PM   #3

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
What battery do you NEED?

To add to Walt's great summary, how do you plan to camp? If mostly hooked up to shore power a single group 24 12V battery may suffice. On the other hand if dry camping with no solar a 2nd battery and or larger group size may be right for you. Knowing your power demand needs will pretty much make the decision or you. Lots of great info in other threads. Good luck.
Barb and Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:55 PM   #4

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
kinda hard....

kinda hard/impossible to tell what batteries are in your trailer when you don't include a picture......

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

have fun
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:16 PM   #5

Name: Rob
Arizona
Battery choice

Whatever batteries you choose, just be sure to get real Deep Cycle batteries that were designed for many discharge and recharge cycles, and add enough amp hours so that you only discharge the batteries down to no less than 50%. Many "Marine" batteries are not "Deep Cycle" and are designed to start the boat and perhaps run a few electronics. AGM (non-venting) batteries are best if you will be installing them in the living area. If the batteries are well vented, then Lead-Acid batteries will likely give you durability at a lower cost. I used two 6v Trojan T-105RE Lead Acid batteries in series for 220 Ah at 12 volts installed in the front locker on my 25B21RB and after two months on the road with only the rare plug-in, found they hardly discharged with just an 80W solar panel. Of course LED lights and the stereo were about the only power I used as I don't have an inverter. I plug a small digital volt meter into the 12v power outlet and never let the batteries read less than 12.3v with the power turned off. That's approximately just over 50%. Check out https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com if you want more info that most of us can process.
Sandstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:10 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
You want to vent any battery, AGM or otherwise, to the outside. They all outgas during charging. AGM's much less so, but just the same...

If boon docking is a possibility I, too, recommend true deep cycle batteries. If the manufacturer is advertising a CCA rating, my suggestion is to step away from the battery, it's probably a dual purpose battery which means it does neither start nor store amp-hours very well.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:12 AM   #7

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
You can tell if you have 6 volt or 12 volt batteries by the number of cells; 3 =6v, 6=12v.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:58 AM   #8

Name: Tom
California
Registry
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/a...0&d=1472256275

Hard to see, but the PO of our trailer had relocated the single battery in the orig. location to a two battery setup IN THE CLOSET!!! We promptly replaced them with two Optima Deep Cycle 12v units (we boonie camp a lot) in this custom box welded to the rear bumper. Solved our venting issue (NONE!!!) and the toughest part was running the wiring all the way back there (was originally in outside storage behind 5th wheel box).
bigfootlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Big Foot
Alberta
I went to a battery place and replaced with two 6v batteries. Camped the other weekend and everything went well. Thanks for replies !
Alberta Mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, bigfoot