do you think renting a U-Haul trailer will help? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2017, 02:23 PM   #1

Name: Therisa
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Vermont
do you think renting a U-Haul trailer will help?

we are seriously contemplating buying a scamp 13 camper, and my partner is very concerned that we check to make sure I feel comfortable pulling the trailer before we actually buy one. We don't think that anyone would actually allow us to pull theirs as a test, so I was thinking that we could rent a U-Haul trailer and pull it around in the circumstances that we would expect to use and see how it works. Do you think that doing that would be a reasonable simulation?
DetroitRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:23 PM   #2

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
That would probably be a reasonable comparison, though of course a Scamp will pull and feel a bit different from a utility trailer. While getting comfortable pulling a trailer may take you several hundred miles worth of practice, just remember to not let anyone behind you rush you. If they don't like the speed you're going, they can go around you if there's a passing lane. If there is not, just be polite and pull over to let them pass when it's safe for you to do so.

I would also recommend finding yourself a big empty parking lot, and practice how it works to back up a trailer.
Talia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:30 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It won't be quite the same experience, but it would be a useful test.

One aspect of traveling with a trailer I hadn't really considered in advance was travel times. We can travel 75 mph on our rural interstates without the trailer, but only 60-65 with the trailer. We have to stop for gas more often, and simple things like lunch at McDonalds take a little more time to get in and out. A trip that used to take one long day now has to be spread over a day and a half.

I haven't changed my mind about towing a trailer, but it was an adjustment.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:59 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Renting the trailer will help. But one thing you must deal with is how to extend the mirrors. you still need to do this even if you rent a trailer. On my tug I just use the rubber band extended mirrors. Easy to put on and easy to take off. You will probably get a little frustrated backing up the trailer. No law to taking as many tries as you need to get the trailer in place. I am still lousy with backing up but hey I sooner or later get it in its place. Catch your mistakes early before the trailer is way out of line. That's the beauty of a parking lot there are allot of lines to follow and they allow you to see when you getting out of wack. Stop and pull up and take another shot at it.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:10 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
The double axle UHaul box I rented a couple years ago was more humpy and jerky feeling to tow than any other I've towed. But beyond that, you'd learn plenty.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:20 PM   #6

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I think I'd say no. The first time I pulled a trailer it was a U-haul using my parent's station wagon. I couldn't back it, period. I didn't have it long enough to learn, either. I don't remember anything about pulling it so that must have been a non-issue, which probably means I didn't learn anything. It wasn't until I had backed my boat trailer on a very easy (extremely wide) ramp many times that I got at all good at backing. I just don't think the U-haul experienced added a lot. Maybe if you rent one for a week and go somewhere, though. Take it camping.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:22 AM   #7

Name: Therisa
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Vermont
Thanks.

I'll try it next month and report on my progress. Thanks again.
DetroitRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:06 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Its just to get over the first time jitters and getting use to seeing nothing out the rear view mirror. Learning to think ahead when driving into gas stations so you can easily pull out instead of having to back out in a high stress confined space. Always remember with a 13 foot Scamp on flat ground you can mount the front caster wheel and shove it where it needs to go. Learn where and how steep driveway ramps can effect the trailer and try not to drive straight into them. Communication between partners while backing up is critical and how important it is that you can see your spotter. Me and my gal still have some issues with that one. She likes to try to give me directions while standing in my blind spot. Once you get to your destination adjust your mirrors from road view to trailer view so you can actually see where the trailer is going. Its all about having patience and taking the extra time necessary to set yourself up for the best possible outcome before you start rolling backwards.

If you do rent a u-haul make sure its a small single axle one. Dual axles do not respond the same way as a single axle.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:31 PM   #9

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Renting Uhaul

I laughed when I saw this post. I thought I was the only one with this idea. I dis exactly the same thing and spent two whole days and a tank of gas learning how to back up and park a trailer while our 13 ft scamp was on order. We started with a highschool parking lot and cones. We then graduated over to 2 different state parks off season and kept working on parking. One would attempt while the other filmed. By the end of the weekend I was good enough to back it in every time. We also practiced driving and gas stations. You will find the actual camper you get will be MUCH smoother and not so jumpy like a Uhaul.

Good luck and great minds!

Scott
sal6342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:28 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Think it may give you a good chance to practice backing up but I think it would be a poor comparison to pulling your camper.
ie- the weight, and distribution of this weight, of a u-haul, unless you can get it to the weight of your scamp it will tow different.
As Jon said, getting into all those tricky little stops one has to make in rural towns can be a pain.
Another consideration, you have to figure in is distance you need to leave between you and the vehicle in front of you because hauling a trailer of certain weight will need more room to stop.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:31 AM   #11
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I don't think you will gain much by renting that you won't quickly get pulling your trailer. We all were in the same boat at one point or another and managed to muddle through. Going forward you'll find a 13' trailer tracks well and remembering any place you drive in, you need to get out is the main worry. Backing is of course the challenge and smaller trailers do require a gentle hand. An empty parking lot is perfect for practice. My first experience was a school bus turn around on a back road. Next was my driveway also on a back road. Fortune favors the bold.

Our first outing was to D.A.R. State Park just west of Middlebury the weekend before Memorial Day. The campground was empty. I practiced backing up for several hours. Every camp site or so it seemed.

I would suggest putting the money into preparing your tow. Obviously you need a hitch and the electrical connections to power the lights, charge the battery and control the brakes as well as installing a brake controller and perhaps a transmission oil cooler if the tow has an automatic. Unless your tow already has these things, you can figure spending between $400 to $800 depending on how much you can do yourself.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:02 PM   #12

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Why don't you rent a small tent trailer for a weekend......go camping.....get the feel of the trailer and see if you like the camping experience.....have some fun. Probably wouldn't cost much more than a U-Haul.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #13

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
Sounds like a good idea to me. Check the price of renting a 6'x12' cargo trailer for a week. That would give you plenty of time to practice. Most of the time if it is a local rental, meaning you return the trailer to the same place you rented it, the weekly rate is very reasonable.

Five years ago my daughter needed to move home from Los Angeles, 1700 miles. They wanted $700 for a one way rental. The "local" rental rate was $39.00 for a week. (your results may vary) I rented the trailer here, pulled it to L. A. empty, loaded it and pulled it back for a total of 3400 miles. Then returned it to the same location where I rented it. And no, there was no mileage or distance restriction in the rental agreement.

The vehicle you are towing with makes a huge difference in how comfortable it is to tow.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:27 PM   #14

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
If you have never towed before, you will be very apprehensive the first few minutes, somewhat apprehensive for a while, and not very apprehensive after an hour or so. However, when towing, it is likely you will always be slightly more "on edge" than when not towing because you remain cognizant that you are controlling more than just the tow vehicle. And if you need practice backing a trailer, the best thing to practice with is a lawn tractor and a dump cart. Because of the short distance between the connection point and the wheels of the dump cart, it will jackknife in a heartbeat. If you can learn to back up a dump cart, you can back up almost any trailer. The key is not to over steer.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:17 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
All trailers will react different, depending on the length of the toung of the trailer and distance from back of vehicle and the wheels of trailer.
I have a much easier time backing up my 32ft 5th wheel then backing up the 13ft Boler.
The longer the trailer the slower the reaction to the turn of the wheel in the front.
So to get a true sense of how it's going to be backing up get a 13ft trailer.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul