Modern Atwood furnace in Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2017, 10:49 AM   #1

Name: Doug
Trailer: Trillium
California
Registry
Modern Atwood furnace in Trillium

I've given up on the old beater Duotherm furnace. Since putting in the Queen size bed, lighting the pilot light has become a chore best left to an acrobat. The Atwood fits perfectly and has electric start.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1491238091.799363.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	104649Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1491238121.718864.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	104650

Doug
Old 04-04-2017, 10:19 AM   #2

Name: Don
Trailer: 1975 BIOD Extase
Alberta
Registry
Wow, interesting. More info neeeded!! It looks like this is on the right rear side where the original water tank went.... which model is it? Are you venting to the side or rear of the trailer? How did you anchor it? Etc, etc....
trilliumdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:00 AM   #3

California
Registry

Mine is a 1973 1300 same as yours, but for some strange reason it was originally built with the water reservoir on the kitchen side and the furnace was on the curb side. I used the original DuoTherm exhaust fitting on the curb side, but had to modify it slightly, because on the Atwood in and out are not coaxial, see picture. Also the exhaust vent is in a different location.

Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1491324624.002349.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  69.7 KB
The rest was just mounting 3 4" vents inside and insuring there was sufficient cold air return. I mounted it with angle brackets to the original furnace platform.
It is a larger unit (30,000btu) than I would have chosen had I choice (found it on kijiji), but I'm very pleased with how well it works. It just runs on a lower duty cycle than a 15,000btu unit would, and in 2 minutes the place is warm. It draws 6.7A while on, nothing while off, so the lower dutycycle means it is on half the time a 15,000btu unit would be on, so average current consumption is half. Heats faster, Watt/Hour consumption less.
It's sweet.

Doug
Old 04-04-2017, 02:06 PM   #4

Name: Don
Trailer: 1975 BIOD Extase
Alberta
Registry
Do you have it on a thermostat or do you just fire it up on occasion? I've found they can be pretty noisy if they come on in the middle of the night. Any issues with that end of the bed getting unmercifully hot? Many questions!
trilliumdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:14 AM   #5

California
Registry

I do have a thermostat, an old one with the mechanical anticipator. I haven't slept with the unit as yet, but it seems no noisier than the DuoTherm. It has little but air noise like a domestic air mover. There is a wooof on ignition. I don't anticipate hot spots as there is a lot of air movement and the hot air comes out from under the bed, so takes a circuitous route to where we sleep. Also half of the cold air return is a grill right by the door, and half is from the front of the trailer just below the stove where the front settee used to be, and that air flows under the sink, past the water reservoir and through the chamber at the back of the trailer where the rear table hooks used to be. So the hot air goes to the front of the trailer first and there is a real mix of air. I don't notice any hot spots (unless you were to crawl under the bed). We don't usually camp in winter, and the thermostat is right at the head of the bed, so we will turn it on to heat the place, and then off for the night. I went out there tonight, crawled onto the bed and turned it on and everything just got warmer. This coming weekend I'll be camping in it for three nights.

Doug
Old 05-11-2017, 07:01 PM   #6

California
Registry
I've used the furnace on some chilly nights and I have no problem with it being 30,000 BTU. The trailer heats up fast (half the time of the old duotherm), and the duty cycle is short, so on 3 min, off 12.

Doug

Tags
furnace, trillium