Trillium front window cover seal? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2017, 08:54 AM   #1

Name: William
Trailer: Trillium
New York
Trillium front window cover seal?

The last trip through a driving rain demonstrated that the combination of the jalousie window and the fiberglass cover over it do not keep water out. I'm thinking a rubber gasket, but have not found one that would perhaps fit over the edge of the fiberglass cover. Anyone dealt (successfully) with this problem? Thanks!
Bill Lindenfelser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I'm thinking it might be more of an issue with the window seal itself. Can you post pictures of how your cover is set up? Or how does it compare with others posted here?
The cover is more of a rock guard than a storm (window) cover.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:05 PM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lindenfelser View Post
The last trip through a driving rain demonstrated that the combination of the jalousie window and the fiberglass cover over it do not keep water out. I'm thinking a rubber gasket, but have not found one that would perhaps fit over the edge of the fiberglass cover. Anyone dealt (successfully) with this problem? Thanks!
You could put a rubber (vinyl) bulb seal on the backside of the frame. You will want to measure the width of any gap between that frame and the shell to see how thick of a bulb seal you need. Don't forget you do want it to compress to make a seal but you also don't want it to put any strain on the frame of the fiberglass by having it the bulb oversized.

The bulb seal is sold by the foot and typically already has adhesive mounting tape on the flat side. A good place to find it for an affordable price is from Ebay. Just go to the automotive section and enter the keywords "bulb seal"
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:36 AM   #4

Name: William
Trailer: Trillium
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lindenfelser View Post
Thanks for the speedy replies.
Yes, the cover is really a rock guard and does nothing to seal against rain. And jalousie Windows are OK with rain that trickles down them but are not great at keeping our rain driven by a 60mph wind.
The trailer is in remote storage until the next trip...sorry, no pics available now.
Thanks for the link to bulb seals on eBay. I'm sure I can get one of them to work.
Great place for help, this FiberglassRV!
Bill Lindenfelser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:38 AM   #5

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
While in the topic of seals, I'm trying to remove the upper seal in my windows (Trillium 4500), but am having trouble removing the existing seal remnants. Anyone have some ideas in how to clear out the tiny groove so I can slide in the new seals?
ckayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckayaker View Post
While in the topic of seals, I'm trying to remove the upper seal in my windows (Trillium 4500), but am having trouble removing the existing seal remnants. Anyone have some ideas in how to clear out the tiny groove so I can slide in the new seals?
If it is the flat seal that comes from the top window frame over the top piece of glass, you have to take the window out and the frame apart to to replace it.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:35 PM   #7

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
That's the conclusion I've come to as well having looked at it again. I was hoping there was an alternative!
ckayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:17 AM   #8

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
Not sure if you have an old or a new Trillium and how the windows/rock guards may difer.

We have a 1978 Trillium 4500. We haven't had a leak with the front window/rock guard combination. We have not resealed the windows. DH did replace damaged fiberglass panels in the rock guard and remount the rockguard with butyl tape. Our rock guard has 4 screws on the side and a bunch up top. Those mounting screws/rivets are a place you could check for leaks. Also the belly band. I attached a picture of the screws on the side of the rockguard. (We still need to get screw covers).

We have been in some bad storms camping and have driven through some good rains, but don't think we have experienced rain driven by 60 mph winds.

Good Luck finding your leak!
Attached Thumbnails
20170608_071857.jpg  
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium