Trillium 4500_buying toyota '06 3.3L v. '07 3.5L Sienna to tow - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2017, 03:56 PM   #1

Name: James
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New Jersey
Trillium 4500_buying toyota '06 3.3L v. '07 3.5L Sienna to tow

I have a trillium 4500 and need a more family friendly tow vehicle. I came across a 2006 awd Sienna xle with 87,000 that I can get for $8,000(including impending timing belt job) from a private seller that is in good shape. I haven't seen a 2007 listed for less than $10k (so I assume the best i can do is $9000).

I'd like to stay at/below $8,000 and try not to get a van with more than 90k.

The reason I have zeroed in on those years is b/c they have the built-in tow apparatus.

So here is the crux of the issue, will I find myself regretting not paying the extra $1500-$2000 for an '07 for the extra 40hp and 20ft/lb of torque? Will it matter for trailer that only weighs 2000#? We will realistically only be towing in the hills/mountains between NJ, NY and New England the next couple years before we move somewhere between Denver and the West Coast. I'd like to not have to drop below 55 mph on any interstate, which hasn't been a problem towing this load with my manual 2006 jetta tdi, with only 177ft/lb of torque.

I have read the posts here and on Sienna Chat extensively. The comments I have seen are either discussing performance at the max weight limit or speculative thoughts. Real world input would be awesome...will the larger engine matter matter, is $7,200 ($8,000) as much of a deal as I think? It irks me that the 2006 toyota has no satellite radio (b/c I got the lifetime sirius membership for next to nothing back in the day) but I won't let that or the lack of backup camera drive my decision. Thoughts?
junglejim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:44 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
James
No experience with the Sienna, but my tow vehicle is a '06 Highlander, which has the same 3.3 engine and transmission as the '06 Sienna.
I bought the HL used in 2011, and I've towed our 2500lbs popup every summer since, in Quebec, Maine, and in north-eastern USA all the way down to North Carolina. Tows great, power is not an issue.

Now we have a Trillium 5500. I towed it once for about 200 miles when I bought it and about 5 times locally around here. This summer is our first camping season with it, I'm guessing the 5500 will weight a bit over 3000lbs loaded, and I don't expect any issue towing.

My Highlander has 228K km (141K miles) and runs like the day I bought it. We'll probably replace it in a year or two, probably for a more recent one. Great vehicle, absolute reliability.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:43 PM   #3

New Jersey
Carl,

thanks for that feedback. Even though the Sienna weighs about 400# more, i think based on your feedback I should be in pretty good shape. Now all I need to do us track down the seller.

He went radio silent yesterday just as I contacted him about some sort of deposit or escrow. He is on vacation but maybe he is having second thoughts about his list price. After a few more days of searching, it seems like a really good deal.
Not too good to be true, but we shall see.

Thanks Again.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:50 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I had a 2008 Highlander (purchased new) with tow pkg, 3.5L V6, 5 speed auto, and I put 185K miles on it before selling it. 140K of those miles were put on with a trailer in tow. It was a very good tow vehicle and very dependable.

The 3.5L does not need a timing belt. It has a timing chain, with no change interval. That right there will save you some $$$ and make up some of the price difference.

I haven't ever had a 3.3L so I can't compare. But if given the choice, I'd opt for a few extra HP and no timing belt.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:21 PM   #5

New Jersey
For those of you that shared your thoughts. Thank you. We went with the 2006 Sienna XLE AWD and towed our trailer 400 miles. It was extremely smooth and at no point did the 3.3L, 220lb/ft of torque feel under powered. If anything I had to make sure I didn't go to fast.

For my prius and jetta TDI which I sold, the EPA epa ratings were pretty accurate. Based on fuelly.com and my experience the EPA ratings for Siennas and Odyssey's, the EPA estimate for MPG on vans is a joke.

Although I haven't had a ton of fill ups with the van, my guesstimate is that the realistic MPG dropped from about 19mpg to 14 mpg. Considering how crapola that mileage is to start with I am pretty happy with that.

Next up, 1,000 miles round trip for Canadian Thanksgiving.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:27 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I can add to my previous comment:
I've towed my 5500 over 1300 so far, with my '06 Highlander V6 AWD (3.3 liter engine, 5 spd transmission).
Our trip brought us over some the hilliest terrain in eastern Canada: the Charlevoix region and the Laurentides wildlife reserve.
I've weighted my trailer at the start of our trip: 3235 lbs loaded. We had full propane, food, beer, etc. so it won't ever weight much more than this.
Towing was always done with OD switched off. Most hills required a downshift to 3rd, keeping the rpm between 2600 and 3800 (peak torque for this engine is 3400), cresting at 70 km/h or more.
Just like everybody I could use 50 more hp, but I never felt underpowered.
Fuel mileage, recorded with my calibrated Scanguage, averages about 17l/100km, which translates to 16.6 mpg (UK) or 13.8 mpg (US). Not bad considering the hilly terrain, and within my expected range.
Rig drives nicely, very stable (I'm using an Equal-i-zer WDH), and I'm under all my weight limits.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:27 AM   #7
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejim83 View Post
For those of you that shared your thoughts. Thank you. We went with the 2006 Sienna XLE AWD and towed our trailer 400 miles. It was extremely smooth and at no point did the 3.3L, 220lb/ft of torque feel under powered. If anything I had to make sure I didn't go to fast.
Congratulations JJ. We have a 2009 Sienna in our stable and from what we have read your 06 should make a stellar TV for your camper. Enjoy!
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:41 AM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Mike i have had many cars i was always careful of the timing gear and chain usually when the water pump went out i would change everything out. I knew of people who have had the timing blow usually a new rebuild of the motor over this!

did i do it correctly?

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium