Best Modification You've Made? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2017, 09:31 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Best Modification You've Made?

I'm curious as to what fellow owner's consider this best modification to their Bigfoot, or any other brand for that matter, is/was?

For me, I have done a few small things. But the one thing was to add 2 thermostatically controlled computer fans at the top of the refrigerator exhaust to help remove the heat buildup from the coils. My Dometic was running warm in summer and this helped to cool things down so it could run more efficiently.

What have you done? Would like to hear?
JimKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:54 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Just one? I did so many upgrades to mine that I couldn't possibly choose just one or name a favorite. Here's a few that I was really glad I did.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...xle-60915.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oot-62285.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...mod-58034.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...wer-67024.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...cet-65315.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oot-68092.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...let-69191.html

I did a lot of other upgrades as well, some more complicated than these, but these are the ones that stand out in my mind as the ones I enjoyed the most.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:24 AM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
With tongue in cheek I will state that the best modification I made was not to my trailer but to my lifestyle......I retired!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:10 AM   #4

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
I'm excited to find this thread. We've only just bought out 1988 Bigfoot and are very interested in what others are doing to improve their campers.

So far, I've installed the 30 amp power inlet mod like we'd done on the Scamp we had previously. Quick and easy and now I store that black power cord in a tote with the hose, filter and pressure valve.

We have a crazy amount of ground clearance so I think someone has already completed an axle flip on our camper that included an upgrade to 15" wheels/tires.

We've also added a set of steps to assist with access that will not be mounted to the camper so we won't be needing the mud guard that was suggested earlier.

I'm interested in swapping our vent fan for a Maxx Fan but that'll have to wait for the check book to recharge; maybe next summer. Like the fan project, I can think of a lot of things that "I'd like" but none of which are required so we've decided to just relax and use our new-to-us Bigfoot and see how these project prioritize themselves.

Thanks for starting this conversation.

bill(not laura)
Old 11-29-2017, 07:15 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Three come to mind. LED lights, I added a high rise faucet, and added a slightly larger table that's not attached to the trailer.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170601_172243.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	114179
Attached Thumbnails
_20171113_052849.JPG  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:28 AM   #6

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Raz, I like the cooktop/faucet combination! Is that stock in your camper? Very nice! Also, create solution to the table base issue! Nice simple solution to a problem that has been made more complex that it needs to be...

bill(not laura)
Old 11-29-2017, 07:33 AM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
Raz, I like the cooktop/faucet combination! Is that stock in your camper? Very nice! bill(not laura)
Yes it came with the trailer. SMEV/ Dometic makes it. Check eBay. While they look very nice, the sink is very shallow and Atwood burner in my old trailer worked better. Form over function perhaps.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:26 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Hard to decide on just one modification, but I guess this is the coolest, remote control power reclining bed.

Here is my Blog with the directions http://www.proud-canadian.com/reclin...our-escape-19/
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:35 AM   #9

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Best Mod

The best and most used mod on my new Casita is 4 Bal , 7500lb scissor jacks.
Very easy to raise and lower with a power drill and or impact wrench. Will lift the trailer wheel off the pavement for changing. Rock solid support. The second best may be the power tongue jack.

Mark
Old 11-29-2017, 02:38 PM   #10

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
My favorite is, Casita, two way switch so I can turn on the porch light from inside, adding a lighted switch for my water pump, and switching to led bulbs!
Leej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:50 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Straight axle ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainjunkie View Post
Just one? I did so many upgrades to mine that I couldn't possibly choose just one or name a favorite. Here's a few that I was really glad I did.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...xle-60915.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oot-62285.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...mod-58034.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...wer-67024.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...cet-65315.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oot-68092.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...let-69191.html

I did a lot of other upgrades as well, some more complicated than these, but these are the ones that stand out in my mind as the ones I enjoyed the most.
__________________________________________________ ___

Mr Trainjunkie, ( and others), Would a switch to a new straight axle possible stop some of the bouncing and stuff falling out of cupboards on my low mileage '93 Scamp ? The Scamp was stored for the first 14 yrs of its life but axle has probably " timed out" by 2017.('? ) A local trailer shop says they can install either axle for about the same price . I'm not too worried about ride height, but the trailer does seem to sit a bit low. ( fist test ) David in Fresno and Sonora, CA
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:44 PM   #12

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
My two favorite mods were more like replacements than mods: replaced the cooktop with a Dickinson Marine recessed one, and did a Range Hood Fan conversion with a SAM-1. Click image for larger version

Name:	20161002_185129.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	114208Click image for larger version

Name:	20161002_135818.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	114209
Old 11-29-2017, 09:59 PM   #13

Name: Daniel
Trailer: 1994 Casita 16 Liberty
Washington
modifications

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	KINDLE_CAMERA_1459612481000.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	114211[/ATTACH]

1994 Casita Liberty moved the battery outside and added another battery, replaced the 10 gallon fresh water tank with a 25 gallon fresh water tank as the area allowed it with the battery gone. Other side of battery box stores tools and levelers.
Attached Thumbnails
KINDLE_CAMERA_1459612558000.jpg  
DanielAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:46 AM   #14

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
We have done a lot of mods to our 2014 LiL Snoozy. It is a good trailer the way it comes from the factory but we wanted it to suit us. It is a 2014. We did these mods over time since then.

Changed couch to custom dinette with permanent mount table and swivel chairs.

Re plumb water system to a smaller tank w/ accumulator, to accommodate dinette.

Install Cellular blinds

Add 120 volt outlet under dinette table.

Install custom wood shelves overhead w/ lights mounted in them.

Bed lift mod, large drawer under bed, drawers under sink.

Replaced tight fitting and impossible to make up standard mattress w/ 4" self inflating camp pad and 3" memory foam.

Wood riser in shower, removable

Wood towel rack ,paper towel rack and ipad rack

Replaced cheap foam molding with real wood.

New flooring (changed twice), don't use vinyl plank (don't ask how I know that!)

Marine headliner and reflective insulation in bed area. Warmer, feels better.

Install detachable power cord, Marinco kit

Add more LED lights, add outside light at door

Add Philp-it latches on cabinets, Don't open on rough roads now.

Larger truck tires, higher speed and weight rating

Oxygenies shower head. (great mod, shower works great now)

Install BAL stabilizers on rear. Nice.

My favorite is move battery from under bed. Install 2 six volt GC batteries on tongue and install custom diamond plate box for batteries and chocks etc., Install Vitron BMV-700 battery monitor. Replaced charger with Ctec 25000 25 amp smart charger.

I love working on our trailer almost as much as I love using it. We now have 29000 miles on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Shelf mod.jpg  
Attached Images

charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:03 AM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
jimke how large are your fans? i am supposing they are 12v.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:12 AM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
We've done a lot to our boler over the years but you asked for the best. For us it was also the first. Installed a screen door!
Old 11-30-2017, 08:24 AM   #17

Missouri
best mod

someone has already installed the screen door in our 95 13f scamper

lucky us

bob
Old 11-30-2017, 08:36 AM   #18

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
I agree lucky you. We have since added 2 clear plastic panels that roll up to the frame on the top half, and the support cross-bar in the middle for the bottom half. They stay in place with velcro. That lets us have the door open to let the light in, on colder days. When a trailer is as small as our 13' having the door open just adds to the brightness and feeling of space.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:55 AM   #19

Missouri
lucky you

Vivian i bought our scamper used. it came with the screen door and some other mods he had done at scamper.

one thing i note is a piece of Velcro attached at the top of the door inside. i wonder is someone had this same idea as you?

i was about to shut off and go do something else now you have me thinking.

a picture window door

bob
Old 11-30-2017, 09:48 AM   #20

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
When I replaced axle on our 13 ft Scamp I ordered one with brakes. Love having brakes. Life saver (literally) and peace of mind.

I turned that little hanging clothes closet into a pantry for kitchen stuff by adding shelves. Made a big difference in usability. Stuff that was buried under table in bin our under seats is now at finger tips.

Added channel for awning / tarp. It has been nice to be able to set up an awning and ditch the big pop up awning.

This other just applies to my older model.
  • Added 110 outlets to 2@ dining seat (front & rear access) 1@ kitchen cabinet and 1@ couch. Original is a single plug under sink for fridge and ungrounded plug on over sink fluorescent light. Good only for the phone charger.
  • Moved propane tank forward on tongue so I could add a house battery, originally did not have a house battery installed.
  • Changed to LED light bulbs (in a warm yellow) in upper cabinet end fixtures.
  • Added an inverter to provide 110 from the added battery, under couch.
  • Added pigtail junction box under couch.
While in some ways these are all minor changes or not terribly expensive each provided its own challenges, me fitting under sink to wire 110 circuit comes right to mind but also own satisfaction. Hot in Tenn. and I could plug in fan. Cold in Wyoming and I could plug in heater. :-) Coffee pot and toaster out for a quick breakfast so we can hit the road in the morning.

The two functional items I have left on my list are Fantastic fan to replace 40 year old roof vent. Small solar panel to help keep house battery charged. The one cosmetic item is a nice awning from Marti's Vintage Trailer Awnings. Might re-do the cabinet doors and curtains, or not.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot