76 Boler furnace relocating question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #1

Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
76 Boler furnace relocating question

Has anyone moved the furnace? I am wondering if I can move the furnace to the other side in the lower portion of the closet down by the wheel. Is this possible and what would I need to consider? I would like the current space for kitchen storage.
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:48 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy F View Post
Has anyone moved the furnace? I am wondering if I can move the furnace to the other side in the lower portion of the closet down by the wheel. Is this possible and what would I need to consider? I would like the current space for kitchen storage.
You would need to mount the furnace above the wheel well. Then there's the propane line and the 12 Volt wiring to consider along with the thermostat.

Good luck
Old 02-06-2018, 02:09 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
That means the exhaust, containing toxic gases, will be coming out on the door side where many people set up a kitchen or chairs under an awning.

I'm thinking if it's cold enough to run the furnace, you probably aren't using the awning, but it's something to consider.

The closet itself makes great kitchen storage with the addition of shelves, and less bending to get at stuff.

I myself like the simplest solutions. Moving LP lines and wiring, modifying two cabinets, closing one hole in the shell and cutting a new one... doesn't seem simple.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:10 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
That means the exhaust (containing toxic gases) will be coming out on the door side where many people set up a kitchen or chairs under an awning.

I'm thinking if it's cold enough to run the furnace, you probably aren't using the awning, but it's something to consider.
This is exactly what a Trillium 4500 does. Since the products of combustion from burning propane are fairly harmless, this should not be a problem. Herman Nelson type propane heaters always deposit the products of combustion in the air that they heat. My eyes burn, but others don't even notice.

What kind of furnace is it? Wagon Master? Or, is a forced air type?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:30 PM   #5

Arizona
Registry
It may not be dangerous, no more than standing at the back of a running vehicle loading stuff into the cargo area, but it's not ideal. You certainly wouldn't want to use an enclosed add-a-room under those conditions, or even partially enclose the awning with wind panels. In cold weather, that's something you might want to do.

For myself, I don't even like side vent fridges on the door side. Why vent heat just where you want to sit in the shade on a warm day?

Just my preference.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #6

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
The closet itself makes great kitchen storage with the addition of shelves, and less bending to get at stuff.
Having the kitchen stuff in the closet seems like it would be easier to reach while cooking than in the cabinet below the sink. I would just have to turn around and grab versus bending over. I could also reach all the way into the back easily unlike when the shelf is below and I am stooping down.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:21 PM   #7

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
For myself, I don't even like side vent fridges on the door side. Why vent heat just where you might want to sit in the shade on a warm day?
That would be less dangerous then lighting a candle. That's it romance is dead.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:41 PM   #8

Arizona
Registry
76 Boler furnace relocating question

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
That would be less dangerous then lighting a candle. That's it romance is dead.
LOL... sorry for conflating two different issues. With a side vent fridge under the awning, the issue I see is heat in warm weather, not exhaust fumes, and you're right- it's not a big issue even then.

But as to the other, I prefer romance to happen inside the trailer, where if my wife should decide to light a candle, I will take my chances...
Old 02-06-2018, 07:11 PM   #9

British Columbia
The name on the front panel is Suburban
Old 02-06-2018, 07:13 PM   #10

British Columbia
Thanks for the info guys, I think I will leave it in original spot, as I wouldn't be gaining much kitchen storage.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #11

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy F View Post
Thanks for the info guys, I think I will leave it in original spot, as I wouldn't be gaining much kitchen storage.
I think that is a good plan.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:37 PM   #12

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
In our 93 "Lil" Bigfoot. I put adjustable shelves top to bottom, in the clothes closet by the entrance door, adjustable rods go across the front of shelves. Put extra heavy door hold in place. High center of gravity would induce cans to be on the floor. good food storage. bottom shelve for pots pans etc. clothing set on a rod screwed to top corner of upper cabinets. (light jackets etc.) other heavy jackets etc. set on rack in tow or just thrown about. (Me), plastic boxes in tow. Clothes closet is now a pantry.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, furnace