Bumper to frame attachment on 1973 Trillium 1300 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2018, 02:17 PM   #1

Name: Thomas
Trailer: Trillium 1300 1973
Alberta
Bumper to frame attachment on 1973 Trillium 1300

Hey FGRV folks. I am finally replacing the sagged out axle on our Trillium 1300. ‘Snowpea’. (It is a green one)
With the frame off it is time for some clean up and upgrading. Anyhow it came with a rear bumper that looks like the pipes were slid into the frame and then some bad welding. I will try to add a photo.
Does anyone have good photos or descriptions of how this rear part of the frame should look? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7077.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	385.5 KB
ID:	119180
Tom Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:24 PM   #2

Alberta
Replying to myself now! Thought I should add more photos for whoever may be interested.
I am very bad at the ‘before’ photos no matter what project I do (guess I don’t really want to remember how they started, just the finished product!)Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6963.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	274.1 KB
ID:	119181Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7079.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	359.6 KB
ID:	119182Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7082.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	362.0 KB
ID:	119183
Old 05-16-2018, 08:49 PM   #3

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Just a share of Trilium l1300 frame's photo

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...der-62488.html
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:49 AM   #4

Alberta
Hello
Thanks for posting that link to your frame photos.
I have been trying to figure out this forum and it is a learning curve. Every diversion from the thread seems to go to a different thread.
I want to keep my 'Bumper to frame' thread going as I will post updates to show my progress.
I have found lots of good information in these forums that helped me plan for my frame overhaul and axle swap.
Hence I am keeping the original frame configuration and installing a Dexter 2000# axle with 7" electric brakes. It will be installed in the original Leading arm configuration. I ordered the axle with 10 degree down angle and from the Dexter tables this should sit almost with the arm level under its rated load.
As to all the other pros and cons discussed with axles, brakes etc. I decided that it has rolled for 45 years with leading arms so why not!
Old 05-17-2018, 12:21 PM   #5

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
Hi The frame on my 1976 Trillium is a straight run from the axle back to the bumper weld area. I do see your frame has a bent portion in front of the axle that raises up the back rails. My frame rails have a section in the rear that laps over the front part of the frame about 15" at the axle area on each side and the rear sits on top. Both rails are welded together on each side of the rail on each side of the frame. The rear rail butts up against the underside of the fiberglass floor where the floor lowers at the front of the rear bed step down. Kitchen floor area. Where your frame has bubblegum welds the frame should be one continuous section on each side straight and butt to the bumper where the two are welded. There are a couple of angle iron pieces welded on the inside corners at the bumper to frame used to reinforce the joint. There is a channel cross member stiffener under the trailer body itself at the rear wall. I hope you are able to sort out what is factory from my post.
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:42 PM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Just posted to your original thread:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post697854

Looking at your before pictures, it looks like you may have the 3x3 square tube frame that I mentioned in the above post.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:48 PM   #7

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Just posted to your original thread:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post697854

Looking at your before pictures, it looks like you may have the 3x3 square tube frame that I mentioned in the above post.

Actually the frame tube is 2 1/2” square 1/8” wall steel.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:02 PM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Jefferies View Post
Actually the frame tube is 2 1/2” square 1/8” wall steel.
Yah, I was kinda guessing on the size. Hard to tell from pictures.

I notice that on the rear side of the axle, the frame seems like it was telescopically adjustable at some point. Do you think the straps that are welded to the one side of each square tube were put on by the factory, or by a previous owner? I have seen Trilliums that were missing the rear bumper.

This is an old one without the bend at the axle:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-64139.html

Another one with a similar frame:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...old-56758.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #9

Alberta
Quote:

I notice that on the rear side of the axle, the frame seems like it was telescopically adjustable at some point. Do you think the straps that are welded to the one side of each square tube were put on by the factory, or by a previous owner? I have seen Trilliums that were missing the rear bumper.

Straps and telescoping tubes are definitely an add on. The 2 inch add on tubes are not a good fit in the 2 1/2” ones hence the badly welded straps.

I’d say there was no bumper on this early model.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:20 PM   #10

Alberta
Quote:

This is an old one without the bend at the axle:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-64139.html

Another one with a similar frame:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...old-56758.html
Hey David
This link you sent to pictures of SN 13-66 are so similar to my 1300 SN 13-241.
13-66 has the leading swing arm axle and no bumper, the frame ends just like mine does with the open square tubing. I am actually thinking that my 1300 is not a 73.
I saw your list of serial numbers and my number should fit in with the 71's. Feel free to add my numbers to your list. I will post more details to my album soon.
I am willing to bet that 13-66 does actually have the curved frame just in front of the axle. It seems like the lapped and welded frame construction was a factory design improvement that came later.
All those bent bits on the early Trillium frames were problematic stress concentrations.
Thanks again for the wealth of information you are providing.

Tags
axle, brakes, frame, trillium