Dometic fridge removal. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2018, 09:59 PM   #1

Name: mensie
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Dometic fridge removal.

The dometic 211 fridge is not working in our Trillium, which is no surprise after the trailer had not been used for many years.
I’m ready to pull it out of its spot and see if I can revive it by turning it up side down.
Now the question is how is it fastened? I removed 2 screws from the back and 2 from the front under neath the fridge door. I disconnected the propane and electrical, I would think I could just pull the thing out, but it won’t budge, are there any screws that im missing? The fridge is in there pretty snug.
mensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:12 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I did mine about 4 years ago and I seem to remember there was screws on top and I needed to pull the silverware draw out. Also remember it was a real tight fit around the fiberglass and had to push and wriggle it to get it out.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:43 AM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Some models have screws above the door covered by plastic trim caps.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:10 AM   #4

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
You know the old saying, "The man who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client." All trailer appliances should be either run continuously or at least exercised monthly. Then they should be serviced by a trained authorized serviceman once per year. He does all the routine maintenance and factory upgrades that have been published over the past year.

If your Dometic has not been used in years I can think of at least 4 components that are time-replaceable that will need to be changed for reliable operation. Dometic makes a very fine product. Mine has made ice in 6 hours on propane for many years. But they often fail because they are installed incorrectly and improperly serviced. Caveat Emptor
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:18 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Albers View Post
If your Dometic has not been used in years I can think of at least 4 components that are time-replaceable that will need to be changed for reliable operation. Dometic makes a very fine product. Mine has made ice in 6 hours on propane for many years. But they often fail because they are installed incorrectly and improperly serviced. Caveat Emptor
Please do detail the four components that you refer to.

I have several RM211's and RM36's, and one RM24. Some have sat for several years unused and unmaintained. When plugged in, and level, they freeze water.

Since a major failure of the cooling system is frequently caused by corrosion of the heated section. I can't see running them continuously being very good for them.

There are many examples of absorption fridges that are on the order of 40 years old that work fine. I see RM211's on kijiji regularly.

Mensi, Since you are in Alberta, if you can't get yours working, then maybe take a look at this one:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-trailer-part...ationFlag=true
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:31 PM   #6

Name: Elvin
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
I removed our RM211 recently and it was a struggle to get it out. A lot of pulling and pushing and a dose of patience and it will eventually come out. Once out I turned it upside down and waited until the gurgling stopped then right side up and presto - it worked. As I intend to remove the fridge periodically I shaved off 2mm of fiberglass from the cabinet front to make it easier next time.

Elvin
omache27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, trillium