Towing Bigfoot 25B17.5FB with 2017 F-150 V8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2018, 07:40 PM   #1

Name: Sebastian
Trailer: TBD
Texas
Towing Bigfoot 25B17.5FB with 2017 F-150 V8

Hello, new to the forum, looking to get our first RV and really like the layout and build quality of the Bigfoot 25B17.5FB. but I am concerned thou with two aspects:

1. Drivability/mpg/speed
The width at 8' wide sounds a little intimidating to me. I never towed a travel trailer before and the F-150 is my first truck diving it for less than 1 year. In the past I mostly drove sports/fast cars, this is a whole new experience to me. I love the F-150 and it is our current vacation vehicle replacing our Porsche SUV that is now the daily driver. Having said that, I drive it at the speed limit plus < 10% most the time and I know that towing will be a different animal, I guess need to get used with 55 mph speeds .

2. Payload
Our F-150 it is listed at 1668 lbs on the door stciker, after I subtracted the bed cover, our combined passenger weight and bags/miscellaneous we are left with 923 lbs. The tongue weight on the Bigfoot is listed at 340 lbs but I computed 559 as 13% of 4300 GVWR. Added another 75 lbs for extra hitch hardware this leaves a margin of 289 lbs only.

Looking to hear from the experience of 2500 series Bigfoot 17 owners towing with half-ton trucks, how bad it is? Would you buy again the same TV and TT combination? I should note that our F-150 has the tow package, 3.55 dif. and BLIS with trailer coverage but no towing mirrors, I am planning on getting a wireless camera for sure.

TIA

--Sebis
sebis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:18 AM   #2

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
towing capacity is a little more complicated

Sebastian:

Welcome to the forum. You've started in the right place for real world information and advice.

You are well advised to ask the questions you have posted and you've found the correct place to begin. However, there is a little more information that would be required to determine if your tow vehicle can safely pull any trailer/RV.

There are multiple threads about this topic, many posted as stickies at the top of this sub-forum, but the basic points to consider are:

1. GVWR - Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (Both the tow vehicle and the trailer have this rating. Check them both.)
2. Tongue Capacity - this is the capacity of the tow vehicle
3. Hitch Weight - this is the weight of the trailer/RV at the tongue
4. GCWR - the combined weight of the tow vehicle and the trailer (loaded)
5. Trailer weight - obviously, the weight of the trailer/RV (true weight)
6. Towing Capacity - how much weight the tow vehicle can pull
7. Payload - this is the weight that the tow vehicle can carry in the bed-usually only relevant when considering a fifth wheel

I have personally "killed" two F150's by using them to pull my horse trailer that was over-taxing their capacity. I have learned, in my opinion, that most 1/2 ton pickup trucks are nothing more than glorified wheelbarrows. Be careful with your new truck and don't do what I did, pulling a load that is so very close to the vehicle capacity that you're continuously straining it's overall ability. If you do, you'll seriously shorten the life of your truck. You need to look in your owner's manual for towing capacities and consider the engine and transmission as well as any towing package that may have been added as an accessory.

I haven't looked at any of the capacities of your new truck, but I doubt it has the juice to pull a 2500 series Bigfoot without maxing the towing capacity. Just my opinion and as I've said, I haven't looked at your specific vehicle, but I'd check it very closely before you put any more money into this issue without careful study. You would do well to spend a lot of time studying this issue and read all of the stickies at the top of this part of this forum relating to towing and trailer weights. It may well save you a lot of money and frustration in the long run.

Also, it appears that there are several active threaded conversations going on right now closely related to your specific scenario. Look through all of the threads on this sub-forum and you may find a lot of useful information including valuable questions being posted by others. Read this one for sure: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ons-86265.html

Lastly, once you've purchased your tow vehicle and RV, find an empty parking lot and get some water bottles (put some water in them to weight them down) and practice driving in close quarters. You can actually learn a lot about backing and turning if you visit somewhere like Walmart late at night when their lot is almost empty and no one is around to watch you goof up. The first time I pulled my new horse trailer I hit a curb and bent the wheel well. I've learned that the secret to towing & backing is to only go as fast as you need to, which translates to "slowly." Water bottles and a lot cheaper and you don't have to worry about fixing them. Take your time and practice. Your time spent practicing will pay dividends in the long run when you get to your campsite and you're trying to back your camper into a tight spot with everyone from the campground watching. Happy Camping!

bill (not laura)
Old 08-08-2018, 07:16 AM   #3

Name: Sebastian
Trailer: TBD
Texas
Thanks Bill, the GVWR on the Bigfoot 17 is listed at 4300 lbs. and I believe the towing capacity on my F-150 with the tow package is listed at 11,000 lbs. I think I am fine with the towing capacity, I am more concerned with payload and drag due to the wide 8' trailer.
sebis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:28 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebis View Post
I am more concerned with payload and drag due to the wide 8' trailer.
THIS was MUCH more significant than I anticipated when I went from Casita to my current Bigfoot, and I tow with a 3/4 ton dodge diesel.
Mike Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:49 AM   #5

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebis View Post
Thanks Bill, the GVWR on the Bigfoot 17 is listed at 4300 lbs. and I believe the towing capacity on my F-150 with the tow package is listed at 11,000 lbs. I think I am fine with the towing capacity, I am more concerned with payload and drag due to the wide 8' trailer.
We are towing our 17' with a 2017 Dodge Durango. We try to keep it under 65 to help stop it acting like a parachute. But generally it tows fine... up hill and down dale. We are currently circling lake Superior which is not too taxing, but its been over the rockies , up Sandia peak etc etc....
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:53 PM   #6

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro & 2006 21ft. BigFoot
California
Registry
You should get a copy of the tow guide form Ford. It will cover your specific model/options so you can get a real answer. It should be on their website or from a dealer. I have a 2004 F150 and I was surprised as to what mine calculated out to. Also learn to pack light! Check out the forums on this site as you will find you very seldom use what you take.
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:27 PM   #7

Name: Dale
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
California
Based on everything you have said regarding your F150, you should be fine. Confirm the tow rating and if you have the 11,000 lb tow package, it will be ok. Tow mirrors are nice, but not mandatory. We pull a 25RQ with an F150 and no problems.
damueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:10 AM   #8

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Yeah you'll be fine. Your trailer has the same frontal area as my 17', which I tow with a 3.4L V6 Tacoma.

I'm likely over my payload limit by maybe 100lbs, when I figure in all the crap I haul around. You're still well under your limit even when you overestimate.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot