Ventura Floor HELP - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2015, 11:38 AM   #1

Name: Shawnna
Trailer: Ventura
British Columbia
Ventura Floor HELP

I just lifter the flooring on my Ventura to find what appears to be some very soggy MDF im assuming this is someones not so bright attempt at fixing the rotten floor but i just wanted to check on here if anyone else had this experience. Also how and what should i go about rplacing it with. My original plan was GitRot but seing as its not wood that plan is now out the windo.
Msmootsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:09 PM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Ventura Floor HELP

Yeah, not so bright. MDF is not much of a choice for a floor. You might need to replace it with OSB -- or better yet, plywood.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-08-2015, 03:21 PM   #3

Name: doug
Trailer: ventura
Ontario
i had the same problem and found a hole in the f.g.I used 1/4 in plywood after i patched the floor
doug coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:47 PM   #4

Name: Kim
Manitoba
Not much help here but my lower floor was rotten and my dad got me
A thick piece of plywood he cut to fit
Cheyanna83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:37 AM   #5

Name: Fallon
Trailer: Shopping
Colorado
If its soggy, you likely have a leak you need to replace before you fix the floor. Or are you just saying its swollen like it had been previously wet? Is there anything under the MDF? If so that would rule out it soaking up road spray from the bottom.

Exterior rated wafer board or OSB would work, but personally I'd use marine grade plywood. More expensive than normal plywood, but much less susceptible to future water damage.

Sent from my A0001 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Fallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:55 AM   #6

Name: Shawnna
British Columbia
There was some remnants of the original plywood underneath, I found a few screw holes and a large crack under the porta potty fg liner. I also discovered hat everywhere that there is a entry for a hose, or line they had put putty only around it on the plywood side, and not sealed on the FB/exterior side so im guessing that is where most of the water has come from. So my plan is to seal the holes with sikaflex, then im are going to do a layer of Fiberlgalss Mesh on the floor and lay new 3/4 marine grade ply down. More work than i was hoping but it needs to be done!
Msmootsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:41 PM   #7

Name: Glen
Saskatchewan
I just gutted my Ventura and also found a rotten floor. Water got in through a few small holes and just stayed there keeping everything nice and moist rotting out the original floor and a patch someone put in. I removed all off the rotten wood and what was left of the good floor and replaced with thicker plywood after fiberglassrv patching the small holes I found. As per the original floor I used fiberglassrv resin to glue the new plywood to the fiberglassrv shell and it is now so much more solid now. Just finished installing new Lino and am working on re insulating everything before putting it all back together. Will start a new thread soon with photos and complete descriptions of the entire restoration process. Making a lot of changes as I go...
ilrglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:00 PM   #8

Name: Glen
Saskatchewan
I just gutted my Ventura and also found a rotten floor. Water got in through a few small holes and just stayed there keeping everything nice and moist rotting out the original floor and a patch someone put in. I removed all off the rotten wood and what was left of the good floor and replaced with thicker plywood after fiberglass patching the small holes I found. As per the original floor I used fiberglass resin to glue the new plywood box (see attached pic) to the fiberglass shell and it is now so much more solid now. Just finished installing new Lino and am working on re insulating everything before putting it all back together. Will start a new thread soon with photos and complete descriptions of the entire restoration process. Making a lot of changes as I go...
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
ilrglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:00 PM   #9

Name: Kim
Manitoba
Wow that's nice!

I just cut a flat board to fit and slid it in lol

I'm thinking the wasted space at bouttum of counter I'll make a shoe cubby hole as well
Cheyanna83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ventura