Bigfoot Nest - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2018, 01:45 PM   #1

Name: juan
Trailer: Bigfoot
Texas
Bigfoot Nest

I found myself leaning on and staring out the back door while trying to get over this flu, and felt sad as I looked at the two fair sized mesquite trees I'll need to put down, now that we have a Bigfoot 25RQ coming home. They've offered their nice cool shade to us for so many years. Now, at the very least, they'll provide some good firewood. Also hoping the orange tree, that will have to be transplanted, survives its journey from one side of the yard to the other. I'm in the process of planning to clear a drive through where I can unhitch, on the side of our home, and building or buying a carport type cover to keep the trailer cozy, out of some of the elements. I'm wondering how much higher, than the actual height of the trailer, w/ac, should the structure be? I'm also wondering if I should invest in a trailer dolly so I can back the trailer into a specific, tight area without have to clear out our small yard of all its trees? Has anyone had any experience with a 'Trailer Valet XL2'? How about too tall or too tight of a hard cover? I would appreciate any input, especially while I'm in this hazy funk. Thanks.
pachewheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:47 PM   #2

Name: Tony
Alberta
Registry
Juan.
You are going to LOVE your Bigfoot!
We have the 25FB and couldn’t be happier.
Personally, if you are wanting a Nest for your 25RQ, I would do the yard right with crushed gravel or other hard scape. Maybe consider building a roof framework with open sides.
Being protected from the elements is nice. Not really needed on the sides but overhead would be good.
Maybe put power out there from the house to power up the trailer when home.
RV Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:07 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Man, I hate to get rid of shade trees unless absolutely necessary. But if ya gotta, ya gotta.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:20 PM   #4

Texas
Thanks Tony (RV Doctor), I'm certain we will get a lot of enjoyment out of it. The roofed frame work is exactly what I want, just wondering how high to build it. It will be attached to my art studio, for power, so, like you say, I need to consider making the drive into the nest look good.
Steve, I'm thinking that with a dolly, I might not have to clear so much. Thought a non-motorized dolly might work, we'll see. One good thing I just thought about, if I remove the mesquite trees, that would mean less thorns for tires and bare feet.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:37 AM   #5

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Congratulations on finding the Bigfoot you wanted! Happy for you.
I understand about your trees, but it will be worth it!
Have fun!
Old 01-27-2018, 07:45 AM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I bought a carport from Carolina Carport (they are all over the USA). I got the eave height about 6 to 8 inches higher than the highest point of the trailer (10 feet), and then the carport gets taller from there. Realize the tallest part is the roof AC. So I am more like 18 inches below the eave height. Probably at least 3 foot clearance in the center.

I have a very difficult spot to get in and out of the carport due to access limitations. Fortunately, I got a wider carport (18 feet), but its still difficult. They also make a 12 foot wide carport. As long as you have a straight shot into it, 12 foot would work fine (18 foot wide is the next size up).

Been thinking about backing the trailer in with my shorter wheelbase Honda Element, as with my F150, I can't get it in straight (no room to maneuver the truck). My carport is also six feet longer than the trailer, which gives me better weather coverage on the front and back. Finally, I got half height side wall paneling, which is really nice, makes the carport almost a garage. Half height would be five foot side walls. Since the panels are 3 foot high each, the crew building it asked if they could just install six foot side walls instead (at the same price). "Sure". Notice the cross bracing in each corner, thats the first thing that can hit the trailer. There are additional cross braces down each side.

With a trailer this nice (and valuable), its worth the expense of a $2,000 carport to protect it!

+10 Run power to it later.

My backyard was full of large walnut trees. Beautiful trees, but they made a huge mess. And in the fall, I had to wear a hardhat while mowing the yard. I don't miss those trees!

Next to the carport is my Carolina Carport built garage. It was tall enough for our 1996 Casita, nine foot eaves, eight foot openings, but not nearly tall enough for our Escape, or tall enough for a newer Casita either. The carport/garage area has kind of sprawled out along the side of the backyard, not too attractive. But the set up is over at my workshop. The carport and garage are attractive, but its the row of them, all behind an existing concrete block 1930s garage. Oh yeah, and there is a carport attached on the other side of the garage too.

[IMG]IMG_0139 by wrk101, on Flickr[/IMG]
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:53 PM   #7

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
Congratulations on finding the Bigfoot you wanted! Happy for you.
I understand about your trees, but it will be worth it!
Have fun!
Thank you, Bill and Laura, changing things around, for my own benefit, does not always sit well. But...on to another phase of our lives.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:17 PM   #8

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I bought a carport from Carolina Carport (they are all over the USA). I got the eave height about 6 to 8 inches higher than the highest point of the trailer (10 feet), and then the carport gets taller from there. Realize the tallest part is the roof AC. So I am more like 18 inches below the eave height. Probably at least 3 foot clearance in the center.

I have a very difficult spot to get in and out of the carport due to access limitations. Fortunately, I got a wider carport (18 feet), but its still difficult. They also make a 12 foot wide carport. As long as you have a straight shot into it, 12 foot would work fine (18 foot wide is the next size up).

Been thinking about backing the trailer in with my shorter wheelbase Honda Element, as with my F150, I can't get it in straight (no room to maneuver the truck). My carport is also six feet longer than the trailer, which gives me better weather coverage on the front and back. Finally, I got half height side wall paneling, which is really nice, makes the carport almost a garage. Half height would be five foot side walls. Since the panels are 3 foot high each, the crew building it asked if they could just install six foot side walls instead (at the same price). "Sure". Notice the cross bracing in each corner, thats the first thing that can hit the trailer. There are additional cross braces down each side.

With a trailer this nice (and valuable), its worth the expense of a $2,000 carport to protect it!

+10 Run power to it later.

My backyard was full of large walnut trees. Beautiful trees, but they made a huge mess. And in the fall, I had to wear a hardhat while mowing the yard. I don't miss those trees!

Next to the carport is my Carolina Carport built garage. It was tall enough for our 1996 Casita, nine foot eaves, eight foot openings, but not nearly tall enough for our Escape, or tall enough for a newer Casita either. The carport/garage area has kind of sprawled out along the side of the backyard, not too attractive. But the set up is over at my workshop. The carport and garage are attractive, but its the row of them, all behind an existing concrete block 1930s garage. Oh yeah, and there is a carport attached on the other side of the garage too.

[IMG]IMG_0139 by wrk101, on Flickr[/IMG]
Bill, maybe you'd rent me a storage space?! This is the type of information I am looking for. I know there are many types and styles of carport covers, but had been wondering how much room over the highest point of the trailer (ac) is too much, or as in the possible case of your former Casita garage and purchase of a new trailer, not tall enough. That is a beautiful Escape you have! I also don't want to plan for a 'what if' situation and build bigger than what I need now. I will be in the same situation as you describe due to access limitations. I won't be able to back the trailer into the limited spot I want to build the shelter on with our truck, and that is where the question of has anyone tried an rv dolly. If I could get some honest information, instead of simply reading reviews on the internet, I would really like to find out if a 'Trailer Valet' is worth investing money in. I will be looking into Carolina Carports. Thanks for you for the input. Take care. juan
Old 01-27-2018, 04:03 PM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I looked at both a front hitch on my F150 or just using the Element. Right now I am going to use the Element (much shorter wheel base). I’ve even considered my garden tractor.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot