BigFoot Tow Vehicle - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2018, 02:08 PM   #21

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
(The lighter weight ticket is the truck by itself)
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:11 PM   #22

Name: Joe
Trailer: Looking for BigFoot 25
Iowa
Is that the F-350??

Then the other one shows the trailer at 6020? Bigfoot 25B25RQ dry?
earthspun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #23

Name: Tony
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Registry
Bruce. Great info!
My 25FB is 6500 on the axles and that’s with everything inside. The tongue is around 800 although I didn’t weigh independently.
I am gravitating towards the 250 6.2 more and more. So much bickering and negative press all over the Internet. You don’t know what to believe. All I know is I will never put one cent towards anything GM ever again. Ram is okay but I am not in love with the looks.

When you mention you did away with the Equalizer, was that a levelling not needed decision or a “boy this truck is so stable towing that I don’t need an Equalizer system. There is some anti sway properties which are necesssary and valuable. Right?

Are you heading to Quartzite?
RV Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:46 PM   #24

The truck is the stabilizer. The camper and snow plow package have extra stabilizers on the suspension. The trailer is heavy, and you can tell it is back there, but it can't push the truck around.

A Bigfoot 25' is stable and does not fishtail.

You level the trailer by getting a ball mount with the appropriate drop (or rise in the case of a Bigfoot).
Old 01-28-2018, 03:07 PM   #25

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
When you do the arithmetic remember that an F-250 6.2L's payload for just two adults and a tank of gas (35 gallons * 6 pounds/gallon) will easily exceed 500 pounds.

When I tow with my F-250 towing either a rented Airstream Bambi or my 8,000 pound boat (including trailer and anchors etc.) I've only gotten in the 9 to 11 MPG range. I do drive like a slug (and a slow slug at that).
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:14 PM   #26

Iowa
Hmmm. All these years I have believed the sway control was in the WDH system for trailer side-to-side action, wind, draft etc. I always controlled the trailer pushing the truck with trailer brakes that timed right, barely begin to grab first and eliminate the push but that sway, I need to learn more about how you do it. My understanding is that Ford messes with the brakes for its trailer sway control and it makes a difference in fuel economy when sway control is on. Not sure how it can stop wind or draft sway without something at the hitch doing it. Braking and slowing down as a reaction will mitigate it some but I think there is more to the idea of deterrence holding off the sway as opposed to the reaction to then slow the vehicle. Confused.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthspun View Post
Is that the F-350??

Then the other one shows the trailer at 6020? Bigfoot 25B25RQ dry?
Yes, F-350. 14,600 minus 7,620 equals 6,980 trailer weight. 6020 on the trailer axles and 960 on the hitch ball

No, not dry. You need your water and stuff when you get to the camp site. And on the way there also.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:35 PM   #28

Alberta
Registry
Smile

I fear Bruce’s numbers are right. My 25 is 6500 on the axles and probably 7500 overall. This F-150 is at its max trailer weight PLUS all the stuff in the truck PLUS two people and fuel etc.
That little 2.7 should be a poster truck for Ford!

Looking like an F-350;is in our future!
Old 01-28-2018, 11:35 PM   #29

Name: Dan
Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25B25RQ
California
Hello Joe,

Funny you should ask, we just went through this.

We towed our newly acquired 25RQ Bigfoot home from Phoenix last February with our existing 2012 F150 3.5 ECOBOOST 2 wd XLT, with the headlights in the air. A set of Timbrens fixed that and the truck towed level. Airbags would work too, we went the cheaper route with Timbrens.

Mileage went from 13 + pulling our Escape 19 down to 9-11 MPG. It pulled the hills pretty well going up, a gear lower than with the Escape, but on 6% grades, even with the tow haul engaged it gained speed going down hills. Lots of braking. Smaller displacement with turbos can fool mother nature going up hill, but not down. In the coastal hills of California, my impression was that the truck was getting pushed around a bit by the trailer.

I traded it for a (new) RAM 2500 Cummins TD. I am much happier towing, (but not so happy paying California diesel prices :-) ). But now towing the BigFoot is a breeze. The truck isn't even breaking a sweat. On those same 6% grades with Tow Haul engaged and the engine brake on I don't even have to touch the brakes to maintain downhill speed. Mileage is back up too.

I guess I should add that we have a truck bed full of accessories, and stuff in the back seat area too. We did not need air bags or timbrens either. And I can leave home with a tank full of 50 gallons of fresh water without worrying about the weight if we want to.

(I admit I did not test drive a Super Duty Ford. I was once a 6.0L Excursion owner and as much as I like Ford trucks, I wasn't going to buy another Ford diesel, but that is another topic).

So can it do it? Yes, and I really liked my F150. I was only 5 years and 78K miles into the 10 years I was planning to keep it. People do it, but a 3/4 ton tug of which ever brand truck you prefer is a much more comfortable match to a Bigfoot 25 (in my opinion).

We are headed to Quartzsite next week, maybe see you there!
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:29 AM   #30

Alberta
Registry
Good info Dan. I am coming out to Q (truck only - trailer in Phoenix) and would love to talk with you.
I had a 2006 Dodge 5.9 which I pulled a 40’ fifth wheel with. It was great. I know what you mean about the exhaust brake. I installed one on the Dodge as it didn’t come with the truck back then.
Maybe I’ll have to look at Diesel again!
Old 01-29-2018, 05:08 AM   #31

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
So Dan, what made you decide to upgrade to a Bigfoot?
Old 01-29-2018, 08:18 AM   #32

Iowa
Dan, great information. Super details. These EcoBoosts do have the power to tow no problem but the BF25RQ needs a 3/4-ton to make the trips safer and confident in a jamb. I sure appreciate you taking the time.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:46 AM   #33

Alberta
Registry
The Bigfoot is easily a 20 year trailer, if not more.
I am 59 now and whatever truck we get after this Business Lease is up, it needs to last 20 years for us.
As much as I like the EB, I just can’t see it lasting 20 years while towing this 25’.
Also, we have Electric Bikes which are 55# each. We probably won’t be able to lift those up and in to place with a low canopy. May need to look at a 5’ high Fiberglass Canopy like the SpaceKap.
Now just WHICH pickup? I have already crossed anything GM off this list!
Feeling good about another Ram. Not feeling good about the Ford PS.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:53 AM   #34

Iowa
BigFoot Tow Vehicle

What do you guys think about a 3/4 gasser. Really that 25 doesn’t need a diesel does it and the price for the diesel and the fuel to feed it seem like over kill for this mid sized trailer. I’ve had a couple 2500HD Duramax and without question they were built for hauling. Never was impressed with the GM commitment to quality. Have you ever noticed a vehicle coming at you on the road with one headlight? Count them, 98% of them are GM’s. It’s hilarious.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:58 AM   #35

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So Dan, what made you decide to upgrade to a Bigfoot?
Hi Jim,

Late 2016 or so I looked at a 25' Flying Cloud, was smitten by the trailer, but not the price, and after doing some reading decided I still liked fiberglass better than aluminum. Really liked the 25' size. You get a separate shower, walk around bed (scooch around really) and such, and bigger tanks, but still fits in most places.

It became sort of an itch that I was trying to put out of my mind. We had just spent $1500.00 on upgrades and repairs on our Escape 19' at the factory.

Last year, just before Quartzsite we were staying up in Congress, I happened to look at the PHX Craigslist, and there's this 2017 BF 25 Rear Queen listed.

The guy and his wife (Snow Birds from Washington State) had just bought it at a dealer in Canada, towed it down to Apache Junction, and were planning a long trip later in the year. But the Mother In Law had a catastrophic injury that would require in home care so they unexpectedly had to sell it and buy a house.

We just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Chris and I went to look at it. It was brand new, and if you've seen one, you know how it looked when we went to see it . So we negotiated a fair price, completed the purchase and the rest as they say is history.

So we (somewhat unexpectedly) became BigFoot owners.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:04 AM   #36

Alberta
Registry
Joe. I hear you! I used to be solid GM no matter what! I can’t go down that road again, especially for a 20 year truck.
Dan makes some good points namely exhaust braking and power with fuel economy but yes, price is part of the initial outlay. Also maintenance is more for sure.
That leaves Ford and Ram. As much as I have loved this F-150, I just don’t know about the 6.2. Also, I’m not a Hemi fan but maybe I need to look again.
The problem for me is that for a 20 year truck, the Cummins is the obvious choice for me.
Now if I could get the F-350 with Cummins and Allison!
Old 01-29-2018, 09:06 AM   #37

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthspun View Post
What do you guys think about a 3/4 gasser. Really that 25 doesn’t need a diesel does it and the price for the diesel and the fuel to feed it seem like over kill for this mid sized trailer. I’ve had a couple 2500HD Duramax and without question they were built for hauling. Never was impressed with the GM commitment to quality. Have you ever noticed a vehicle coming at you on the road with one headlight? Count them, 98% of them are GM’s. It’s hilarious.
The gas truck is probably more than adequate, and much cheaper to maintain. Fuel and maintenance are much cheaper on a gas truck, if you don't mind the probably higher fuel consumption.

One of the reasons is I know how I am, so I bought a truck for this AND the next trailer I might get. I hope I never get that fifth wheel that I don't want, but "just in case".
Old 01-29-2018, 09:07 AM   #38

Alberta
Registry
Dan.
You will be happy next hail storm that you went Bigfoot!
One good hail storm or bird strike and it’s a trip to Jackson Center!
Fifth Wheel? Hmm, boy it sure is nice to have that big pickup box for stuff!
Old 01-29-2018, 09:13 AM   #39

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Doctor View Post
Joe. I hear you! I used to be solid GM no matter what! I can’t go down that road again, especially for a 20 year truck.
Dan makes some good points namely exhaust braking and power with fuel economy but yes, price is part of the initial outlay. Also maintenance is more for sure.
That leaves Ford and Ram. As much as I have loved this F-150, I just don’t know about the 6.2. Also, I’m not a Hemi fan but maybe I need to look again.
The problem for me is that for a 20 year truck, the Cummins is the obvious choice for me.
Now if I could get the F-350 with Cummins and Allison!
We need this truck to last too. I'm 62 and I don't want to have to buy another one. I drove the Chevy Duramax with the Aliison. I would own one. But the dealers weren't dealing, and the selection was poop.

We have two high volume RAM dealers in this region, and the discounts were very good. I could not find any reason not to buy a Cummins. The quality and features seem very good on this truck. Truthfully, I still suspect Ford builds a better truck. But I just couldn't bring myself to buy another Ford diesel.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:20 AM   #40

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Doctor View Post
Good info Dan. I am coming out to Q (truck only - trailer in Phoenix) and would love to talk with you.
I had a 2006 Dodge 5.9 which I pulled a 40’ fifth wheel with. It was great. I know what you mean about the exhaust brake. I installed one on the Dodge as it didn’t come with the truck back then.
Maybe I’ll have to look at Diesel again!
Be great to see you. Look for a 25' BF, flying an American Flag with a white Ram 2500 parked next to it.

Tags
bigfoot