Walk Thru New Bigfoot - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2018, 09:20 PM   #21

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot
Nevada
9800 payload on the Tundra as it is a 4 x 4
Nvboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:30 PM   #22

Name: Josh & Sonya
Trailer: '97 Casita SD 17; 03 Bigfoot 25RQ
Arizona
Tire pressure for Bigfoot 25RQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacenturion View Post
Seems to be a different opinions out there on tire pressure. Most of what I have seen says just the opposite. I think 35 is way too low based on trailer weight and cargo. Needless to say I run mine much higher. JMO
We have a 2003 BF 25RQ that we purchased used in May of 2015. It hadn't been used much; still had the original tires from the factory with good tread.

Needless to say, one of the first things we did was purchase new tires, in this case, the top Carlisle trailer tires from Discount Tires. Those are rated for 80 psi, which is what Discount tires recommend.

We've been running at 80 psi with no problems. These tires are not only rated for higher speed (if you dare), but running at that pressure also should mean a bit better gas mileage. Though in our case, with a 2015 Tundra that we purchased new, seems to average 10.3-10.5 mpg. Not exactly spectacular, but she seems to be a pretty good truck.

Josh
Josh and Sonya W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:45 PM   #23

Name: Tony
Alberta
Registry
Josh. If you have a tire placard on your 25, what did the former Bigfoot specify the pressure to be? Also, have you scaled your axles to know your true weight? It would be interesting to see your tire manufacturers load and inflation table to see what pressure they recommend for your actual load.
RV Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:02 AM   #24

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Doctor View Post
Josh. If you have a tire placard on your 25, what did the former Bigfoot specify the pressure to be? Also, have you scaled your axles to know your true weight? It would be interesting to see your tire manufacturers load and inflation table to see what pressure they recommend for your actual load.
Sorry Tony, I didn't see this come in earlier; my wife and I were watching "The Great Escape", good movie.

I'll look for a placard in the morning, and also copy down the load ratings of the Carlisle tires. Unfortunately, I've never weighed the trailer when we've been on the road with it. I'm guessing that loaded, we are probably a little over 6,000lb.

More tomorrow.
Josh
Old 02-16-2018, 02:23 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...adial-trail-hd
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 12.22.03 AM.png  
Old 02-16-2018, 07:09 AM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Glenn, I believe he meant a chart that shows, for a particular tire, the load rating as a function of inflation pressure. Here's one from Maxxis:
Trailer Tire Load/Inflation Chart | Maxxis Tires USA

If you do use such a chart- and that is hotly debated on RV forums- allow a margin that accounts for variations in loading as well as unequal side-to-side loading. The 25RQ's combined axle rating is 7000 pounds, which translates to 1750 pounds per tire, assuming perfectly equal loading and requiring a minimum inflation of 35 psi (OEM ST225/75R15). I would want a more substantial margin than that myself.

Josh, the only 25RQ in the Trailer Weights in the Real World database tipped the scales at over 7800 pounds (300 pounds over GVWR!). That may be an outlier- I certainly hope so- but it would be a good thing to verify the real world, fully loaded weight of yours on a certified scale.

Bob, FWIW, I run 42 psi in my Scamp 13's tires (ST175/80R13, load range C). I suspect I run heavier that you do, since we carry 3 bicycles, a 50 lb. ice chest, and a 10x10 First-Up canopy, among other things for four people for a week. That still gives me an ample margin. You would be fine at 40 psi. If your trailer bounces a lot, though, and it's more than 20 years old, it may be time to start thinking about a new axle.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:51 AM   #27

Name: Michael
Trailer: Escape
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvboatman View Post
Congrats on your BF. That might be my next trailer someday. They are very nice. Check the sticker on your drivers inside door frame. I have a 16 Tundra Limited 4X4 and the my GVWR is 7200 and with a payload of 1175. My tow capacity is 9800 and I'll never be able to pull that much because I'd run out of payload.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:26 PM   #28

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Hi

We are about to pickup our new Bigfoot 25 from the dealer. Does anyone have a checklist of what to ask or look for?

Thanking you in advance

Michael
Michael, welcome to the forum. We love our Bigfoot and they are a quality unit. But any unit should be thoroughly checked out, i.e. plumbing-means filling up the tank and checking pressure, water pump working properly, are there any leaks INSIDE AN OUT due to loose fittings, shower, faucets (look inside cabinets for any drips), hot water heater working properly, soft or spongy floors, heating and AC working properly at all vents, electrical system - both DC and AC. The refrigerator should operate in both propane and AC mode with out issue. It's a pain when you find out later that it's not. Check all the blinds, day and night time to ensure they pull down properly. I would also inspect the sealed underbelly to ensure that it is properly attached and sealed. These units have a carpeted ceiling so you want to make sure that the carpet is adhering in all places.

Check the windows on the outside to ensure that they fit tight and can't leak. ONE thing that you can do that can and will prevent some possible damage and headaches down the road is to install a flexible gutter above each window. You buy it and trim it to length. Inexpensive insurance and keeps your windows dryer and cleaner. It's called EZE-RV Gutter. Maybe some others here have them, but I can attest to their effectiveness.

Also, check your awning, make sure the awning joints are secure and not loose. The fabric is not frayed or ripped and the awning fully extends.
Carefully inspect the fiberglass exterior for any cracks, spider cracks, chips, etc. .
Tires - I would check the AGE of the tires. They can be new, but if they are an "OLD" new, ask the dealer to upgrade to something significantly newer. This includes the spare. You are paying big money and should expect nothing less. If you don't know how to do this, a query on the internet will help guide you. When you hitch up, if using a brake controller, take the dealer or factory rep with you on a short run to make sure brakes are working properly.

Plan on spending a good portion of the day, inspecting and playing with it. This is the time to do it. Bigfoot does a great job and their support is terrific. But they are still man made and things happen.

Lastly - HAVE FUN, ENJOY and drive carefully!
JimKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:32 PM   #29

Name: Dan
Trailer: Bigfoot 30th Anv. 25B25FB
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Glenn, I believe he meant a chart that shows, for a particular tire, the load rating as a function of inflation pressure. Here's one from Maxxis:
Trailer Tire Load/Inflation Chart | Maxxis Tires USA

If you do use such a chart- and that is hotly debated on RV forums- allow a margin that accounts for variations in loading as well as unequal side-to-side loading. The 25RQ's combined axle rating is 7000 pounds, which translates to 1750 pounds per tire, assuming perfectly equal loading and requiring a minimum inflation of 35 psi (OEM ST225/75R15). I would want a more substantial margin than that myself.

Josh, the only 25RQ in the Trailer Weights in the Real World database tipped the scales at over 7800 pounds (300 pounds over GVWR!). That may be an outlier- I certainly hope so- but it would be a good thing to verify the real world, fully loaded weight of yours on a certified scale.

Bob, FWIW, I run 42 psi in my Scamp 13's tires (ST175/80R13, load range C). I suspect I run heavier that you do, since we carry 3 bicycles, a 50 lb. ice chest, and a 10x10 First-Up canopy, among other things for four people for a week. That still gives me an ample margin. You would be fine at 40 psi. If your trailer bounces a lot, though, and it's more than 20 years old, it may be time to start thinking about a new axle.
Exactly the point I was trying to make.
Wacenturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:24 PM   #30

Washington
For those asking about Bigfoot weights, here is information on the scale weight of my Bigfoot 25FB, which should be close to a 25RQ. You can compare your trailer weight build sheet (located inside one of your cabinet doors) to mine.

Last year I had an opportunity to actually weigh the newly acquired and fully loaded 2008 30th Anniversary 25B25FB that I brought home from northern California in October of 2016. The build sheet shows a total dry weight with options at 5973.83 lbs. However my trailer does have the 2.5 kw Onan generator that wasn't on the build sheet which obviously weighs something. Mine also has the front storage which is listed in the option total with a weight of 116 lbs. The total dry weight is without water and propane in the tanks.
I have loaded it with 824 additional lbs of stuff (yes I actually weighed it all). So without actually weighing on a certified scale, my total weight would appear to be approximately 6797.83 lbs. Add in the weight of the generator's metal frame and generator itself underneath and I'm guessing close to 7000 lbs.
However after weighing it today I was plesantly surprised.......
Steer Axle..........3680 lbs.
Drive Axel..........5120 lbs. (44 gallon 2002 Excursion 7.3 diesel tank full)
Trailer Axel........6420 lbs.
Total Weight.......15220 lbs.
My 2002 Ford Excursion with a 7.3 Powerstroke has a 20,000 GCWR. I'm happlily 4780 lbs. under that combined rating. That gives me an honest 25% safety margin.

So in reference to the tire pressure discussion, if I ran at 35 psi, I would essentially meet the minimum weight requirement. My Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15 tires at 35 psi (each tire 1760 lbs) for a total of 7040 lbs of support. I do not run the max cold psi of 65 psi only because my Bigfoot factory rims are rated at 55 psi, so that is what they are inflated to. That give a support rating of 2270 per tire, or a total of 9080 lbs., well above the minimum. Even if I load the dry tank up with water and some additional gear, I still have a good margin. As I said earlier, trailer pulls like a dream, tire pressure and temperatures on the road well within parameters with no towing hardness that I can tell.
Attached Thumbnails
scaleweight.jpg   08BF38.jpg  

08BF63.JPG  
Old 02-16-2018, 06:41 PM   #31

Alberta
Registry
Wacenturion. Great info! Wow, that Excursion 20K!!! Interesting on the weights. Most 25 owners, including me, pretty well have around 6000-6500 on the axles. What also enters into the equation is the tongue weight. Some have felt with the storage pod and moderate loading including batteries, propane, etc plus an installed generator that the tongue weight could easily be close to 1000. That places the trailers gross at 7500 give or take a bit. Have you weighed your tongue? Interested to find out. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2018, 06:44 PM   #32

Alberta
Registry
Josh. It has been mentioned here that Bigfoot’s alloy wheels are rated to 55 pounds. That may be a better pressure for you than 80psi. Just saying. [emoji4]
Old 02-16-2018, 06:58 PM   #33

Washington
Quote:
Wacenturion. Great info! Wow, that Excursion 20K!!! Interesting on the weights. Most 25 owners, including me, pretty well have around 6000-6500 on the axles. What also enters into the equation is the tongue weight. Some have felt with the storage pod and moderate loading including batteries, propane, etc plus an installed generator that the tongue weight could easily be close to 1000. That places the trailers gross at 7500 give or take a bit. Have you weighed your tongue? Interested to find out. Thanks!

Just to be correct, the Excursion is rated at 11K towing payload, and the combined weight of tow vehicle and trailer is 20K.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:04 PM   #34

Washington
Quote:
Yes I have weighed my tongue as I have a 1000 lb. tongue scale. It was, if I recall correctly. right at 650 lbs. or roughly 10%. I would like to get it up some closer to 15%. I plan on redoing that again sometime on a level paved surface. I did it next to my house in the gravel RV storage area I have, which is pretty level.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the added length of the front storage box somewhat reduced tongue weight. My propane tanks were no more than half full when I measured, so that would add a little. I also added a Husky Electric jack, which has some weight to it.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:03 AM   #35

Arizona
Tire pressure and weights for Bigfoot 25RQ

Quote:
Josh. It has been mentioned here that Bigfoot’s alloy wheels are rated to 55 pounds. That may be a better pressure for you than 80psi. Just saying. [emoji4]
Hi Tony, Glenn, Dan, and all,

Looks like text of my intended post had too many characters. So here are key points:
  • I can't find any info on rims about 55 psi limit, I wonder where that comes from
  • Info on tire placard is barely visible: Tires = ST225/75 R15 D), rims 15 X 5, and inflation (32psi), presumably at 7,000lb GVWR
  • Couldn't get photos to go, so am trying to attach pdf with tire and weights info; can't tell if it successfully uploaded
  • Glen, thanks for the link to Carlisle load/inflation info. Confirms that tires can be inflated to 80psi, and speed can be up to 81mph, though I would never go that high. Looks like at 55psi, tires can take 2,279 lb each, which is about 30% safety margin above the 1,750lb projected at 7,000lb GVWR. (We are probably at 6,500-6,800 lb fully loaded; need to get on scale)
Wondering what effect lower pressure might have on outer tread wear (underinflated?) and gas mileage.

Thanks for eye opening discussion and info,
Josh
Old 02-18-2018, 04:23 AM   #36

Arizona
Bigfoot 25RQ tire pressure and weight info

Looks like pdf didn't go; trying again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh and Sonya W View Post

Looks like text of my intended post had too many characters. So here are key points:
  • I can't find any info on rims about 55 psi limit, I wonder where that comes from
  • Info on tire placard is barely visible: Tires = ST225/75 R15 D), rims 15 X 5, and inflation (32psi), presumably at 7,000lb GVWR
  • Couldn't get photos to go, so am trying to attach pdf with tire and weights info; can't tell if it successfully uploaded
  • Glen, thanks for the link to Carlisle load/inflation info. Confirms that tires can be inflated to 80psi, and speed can be up to 81mph, though I would never go that high. Looks like at 55psi, tires can take 2,279 lb each, which is about 30% safety margin above the 1,750lb projected at 7,000lb GVWR. (We are probably at 6,500-6,800 lb fully loaded; need to get on scale)
Wondering what effect lower pressure might have on outer tread wear (underinflated?) and gas mileage.

Josh
Old 02-18-2018, 07:25 AM   #37

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
jon trailer has a new frame and axle under it. after reading some remarks here regarding pressures I put mine at 50 but I am going to 40 on our 4k trip that trailer jut ran too rough and as you know I watch our speeds nothing over 55mph.

I will let you know the results

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:03 AM   #38

Alberta
Registry
Josh. I would recommend you try some different pressures in a lower, closer range to the manufacturer. Your trailer had GVWR of 7000. Today, my FB is 7500. My tire spec is same as yours but 35psi. Mine tows great at just under 40. Why not try 40-45? The problem with your pressures is that 80 cold can easily go over 110 in very hot weather or higher speeds. If you try 40, I think you will be safer and a smoother ride but still allowing a buffer. The other problem is at 80psi you are really wearing on the Center of the tread and getting premature wear there and insufficient road contact overall. Also uneven wear on the outsides of the tread.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:34 AM   #39

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh and Sonya W View Post

Josh
That is what the rims that Bigfoot put on their trailers were rated at, or at least the older ones 2008 and back. I'm assuming the newer ones may be the same as well. To be sure the rims will have a rating etched in them somewhere on the rim themselves. If I recall mine were on the backside.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:56 AM   #40

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Not a chance. Payload will be on the door jam. Sadly, unless you order a truck with a max payload capacity, most run out of payload way before running out of tow rating.

My F150 with a "9,800 pound" tow rating runs out of payload at about 5,500 pounds.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot