NEWBIE: Egg vs. Lil Snoozy advice - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #81

Trailer: 2007 Casita
As for "keeping an eye open" in the used market. Perhaps your perfect trailer isn't ready to be your yet! Sometimes people spend years look for just the right one. Sometimes people find several within weeks of each other, buying both! Relax, enjoy the journey!

As for the topic of Claustrophobia,
I am sooooooooo claustrophobic, but for some reason the Casita doesn't bother me...... I think it's as others have said, windows as well as keeping the air moving helps me. Want to see me panic, turn the air off in a airplane sitting on the run way! Not pretty, I can assure you!

I think Mike M, commented on the isle width, he's very correct on the larger isle in a Scamp makes it feel bigger than the same size Casita. But I will say, I still love my Casita! So as many have suggested, get out go to a rally. It will help you with finding your perfect trailer.

Here is a pic of the rear ends of a Casita (mine) and a EggCamper (Orlen and Carolyn Wolfs) which will show you the difference in size. I was blown away at the interior roomy-ness of the EggCamper!
Attached Thumbnails
eggsonroad.JPG  
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #82

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Egg camper

I have one that was all electric and it didn't work for us in cold weather. I had a propane cook top and furnace installed by my local rv place. Cost the same as the factory when they were still offering it. The 1000 watt electric struggles in cold weather but is a very satisfactory unit in mild weather or to supplement the furnace. Don't know about the Snoozy but the EggCamper is a bit wider than most others. The factory owner is 6'4" tall and can both stand up and lie down with plenty of clearance. Right now I'm wintering in mine in a part of Arizona where it has been getting down into the 20s and 30s at night and am very comfortable.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:55 PM   #83

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I'll be going to a rally on Feb 7 & 8. There are supposed to be some Escapes there. If there is the one I'm interested in and I like it, my EggCamper will be for sale when I get back to Michigan. No idea on price yet.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #84

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
If it came to that, Bob, maybe you would want to put it up for sale before returning to MI. Someone along your route home might want to buy it, and you could deliver it on your journey north. That is, if all the trailer stuff will fit in your tug!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:10 PM   #85

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Propane Clarification

It was brought to the Moderating Staff's attention that maybe Mark might benefit from seeing the Thread in the Link below:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post438372

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion in progress.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #86

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
It was brought to the Moderating Staff's attention that maybe Mark might benefit from seeing the Thread in the Link below:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post438372

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion in progress.
That is a duplication of the post here, but with a different thread title. I presume that is because the poster didn't like the tack the thread was taking.
Since Mark posted after the post in question, I assume he read it the first time.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:38 PM   #87

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
If it came to that, Bob, maybe you would want to put it up for sale before returning to MI. Someone along your route home might want to buy it, and you could deliver it on your journey north. That is, if all the trailer stuff will fit in your tug!

Never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:15 PM   #88

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Problem is... The Escape19 is a parkmodel without a large tow vehicle and the OP sez...
"a small pickup or SUV is a must for me".
Methinks someone has a serious case of envy, and is trying to talk himself out of something bigger and better.

'tis okay, many a folk have done the same. For me it was a move in the other direction, smaller than my last trailer.

My Pilot with a 4.500 lb towing capacity has no problem in any terrain, or at any highway speed (though I don't like to exceed 120 kph). While you may consider a Pilot a large vehicle, to me it is small, at least smaller than anything I have ever towed with. Just check out the majority of tow vehicles that Escape 19 owners use, the majority is a mid-sized 6 cylinder SUV.

BTW, after 5 years, we are still loving our Escape 19. It has served us well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #89

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Methinks someone has a serious case of envy, and is trying to talk himself out of something bigger and better.

'tis okay, many a folk have done the same. For me it was a move in the other direction, smaller than my last trailer.

My Pilot with a 4.500 lb towing capacity has no problem in any terrain, or at any highway speed (though I don't like to exceed 120 kph). While you may consider a Pilot a large vehicle, to me it is small, at least smaller than anything I have ever towed with. Just check out the majority of tow vehicles that Escape 19 owners use, the majority is a mid-sized 6 cylinder SUV.

BTW, after 5 years, we are still loving our Escape 19. It has served us well.
1. Your Pilot is not a small SUV.
2. I have owned (for rehab)more than two dozen Fiberglass trailers.
3. I know my own mind(maybe even better than you do)
4. If I only had the choice to go to a larger trailer, I would not own a
travel trailer.
5. I refer you to the first three paragraphs of post #61,...
while I did compliment The Escape and consider it a fine trailer, I simply would not even momentarily consider trading my Scamp13, straight-up, for your Escape, nor would I consider trading my Ranger or my Escape for your Pilot.
I would expect you might envy my ability to parallel park, tow with a 4CYL, and go through any driveup while still having all the comforts of home.
While I am sorry to bust your bubble, I am truly glad that you seem to be almost as satified with your rig as I am with mine.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:37 AM   #90

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Getting Started

Jim,

It's certainly good for Mike to see the full range of trailer/tow vehicle possibilities. However it's clearly obvious that many people make the bold step to an RVing lifestyle only to find out it's not for them.

Mike is new to fiberglass trailers and is just getting started. I'm certain their are few who can afford to begin a new lifestyle by spending nearly $60,000 for an Escape/Pilot combination no matter how great the pair may be.

Secondarily there's a significant cost penalty in operating costs to owning larger rigs.

There are many benefits to starting smaller for beginners, one being cost another being "rig intimidation". For us by starting small we were able to use an existing vehicle for towing, we did not require a w/d system, in fact our original investment amounted to around $1,000 and allowed us to cross Labrador and complete a loop of the USA.

From that point we gradually invested more, spending $6,000 on our Scamp and modifying it extensively. Without that $1000 start I believe we would not have gotten into small trailers.

As Floyd suggests there are many advantages to small and as Jim states there are benefits to large. However though are some beginners that can take the big buck plunge, there are more that can't. I think that in life, taking the first step, moving in a new direction is most important and small and inexpensive can allow that first step.

Wishing Mike a successful search, from reading this site for years it's obvious that few on this site buy only one trailer. To me the most important thing is not the trailer or tow vehicle but the enjoyment of trailer living and travel.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:43 AM   #91

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Out of all of the manufacturers building fiberglass eggs these days, the fact is that the smallest eggs (the 13'ers) are a huge minority, almost a niche within a niche market. Greatest demand seems to be for something larger than the smallest of the small. Proof of that is when Escape dropped the 13' from their lineup and introduced the 21'. As far as Eggs go, 15' to 17' seems to be a typical size, but I would guess that the larger sizes (19' and 21') are making huge inroads in the market. Even though I love the smallest spaces, they would not work for me at this time, which is why I went with a 19'.

And no, a 19' is not a park model and does not require a large tow vehicle to pull, as many others on this forum can attest. I downsized to an Toyota FJ Cruiser from a Ford F150 Supercrew full size 4x4 truck, and my small SUV is a great tow vehicle for my Escape.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:46 AM   #92

Florida
If the Escape 19 and the Toyota FJ were the market entry points for fiberglass trailers the market would be in trouble, that's well over a $50,000 entry point.

As well, at least for Scamp, the 13 footer is a big seller. I suspect they have sold at least as many this year as Escape has sold Escape 19s. Of course I'm not comparing the two trailers, but many find small a better starting point on many levels. I think very few Fiberglass owners start with an Escape 19 or 21.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-23-2014, 09:54 AM   #93

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Having traveled down the small tow vehicle route with the tow cap maxed out for 6 years I recently changed out to a slightly larger vehicle with twice the tow cap. It is classes as a mid size and when parked up beside what most would class as full sized vehicles it does look pretty small and I have no problems finding parking for it in the big city which was my biggest fear and why I hesitated in purchasing it. Its a V6 with twice the tow cap of my smaller 4 cylinder SUV crossover and funny enough the new vehicle is getting on the highway pretty well what my 4 cylinder was getting so no big extra cost in travel gas to be seen there as many here suggest is the case with going to V6. I found a lightly used vehicle to purchase with very low milage and lots of warranty still on it so there was a big cost savings - at least $10,000 in savings over purchasing a new version on the 4 cylinder cross over SUV I owned. Even if I had purchased it new it would have cost me less than what a new version of my small cross over SUV 4 cylinder would have cost me. There were a number of small cross overs I looked at that new would have cost way more. The $10,000 saved in purchase price will go a long way to paying for extra gas money that it may cost me should the new to me vehicle get poorer gas milage than my 4 cylinder when traveling in the city.

One can also picked up a pretty nice used 17' Escape these days for $15000 or in one case I know of less than that! Trailer had been used only a few times and looked brand new inside & came with lots of extras.

So I personally don't believe one needs to spend anywhere near $60,000 to get yourself a really safe and solid tow vehicle and a nice comfortable trailer to go with it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:01 AM   #94

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Choosing a trailer and/or tow vehicle

You hit the nail on the head Norm - well said.

It was suggested to me that I rent before I purchased, which is excellent advice. After going to many dealers and RV shows, laying on many beds, I was able to determine what I was actually expecting from my trailer. Trailers looked at were as long as 25'. This made me sit down and list exactly my expectations. I actually never did rent. I just committed in my mind to make this work and to have fun in the process.

Wanting to travel long distances all over the country, visiting parks, I knew I did not want to be pulling 25'. Discovering the "molded fiberglass trailer" was the best discovery. That helped quite a bit to narrow the search for my first trailer.

Determined I did not need much of a kitchen, since I don't cook much, but enjoy eating in the various areas that my daughter and I visit.

Also did not need a really big bath, since my experienced camping friends said that they just used the facilities in the campgrounds.

These two decisions helped me to significantly reduce the size of the trailer. I did however want very comfortable beds, ac and heat, a bathroom, and the ability to cook inside (or at least warm up a meal) if necessary.

I've had a truck for most of my life, but also have a Honda Civic as a daily driver. So ability to tow was fortunately never an issue. However because I wanted to travel long distances, fuel economy was of great importance.
I am looking at the Honda CRV as a replacement one day for my Civic and also as a more efficient tow vehicle. Thinking I might be able to replace my truck and Civic with one vehicle- simplify my life. But, I like to carry 2 bicycles, 2 kayaks, my Honda 3000 gen. and a second trailer tire spare in the bed of my truck. So I'll need to leave some toys behind. Could always rent kayaks and bicycles along the way, but is really nice to have mine.

Have enjoyed reading about your experience with the CRV. I think it is a great vehicle. Towing capacity listed only at 1500 on the new ones. I travel very light in my trailer, but still around 2100. So I am over the limit. How much does your 16' Scamp weigh and what is the towing capacity of the CRV you have.

Wayne
Wayne Perpall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #95

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Hmmmm, Well I can see some things never change!

This was a great topic on the specific's of trailers, which is now turning into a towing topic!!!! Ugh! Really, do we have to go there?
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:41 AM   #96

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
I enjoy reading all the opinions. While I am certainly keeping my options open, I am leaning towards the Egg Camper. Just so many things I like about it, especially after learning that the propane modification is not a big issue. The 6'7" interior height has not been matched by any other model. the lightweight towing ability is a must. I love the simplistic interior. It appears the Egg would be easy to keep clean with a Dust Buster and almost all fiberglass interior requiring only some spray on cleaner and a rag. I, too, am not a big cooker and would prepare most meals on the grill outside, but still have the ability to fry up an egg sandwich inside. I am planning on making the trip to the Egg factory this summer.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #97

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have never insinuated, or at least never intended to, that an Escape 19 should be a starting point for a trailer, just responded that it is easily towed by a mid-sized SUV, or a small pickup like a Ranger. THIS DOES NOT mean that it is not the right thing for some. In fact, for many like me, it is a downsize from something even larger.

There is no right or wrong, just what works for an individual (or couple, or family) for their given style of camping. Heck, a part of me is looking at some of the great concepts Nest is looking at incorporating, and might even downsize, but even I really don't know if I will ever sell my Escape 19, or what I would get when I do.

As far a price goes, I fully believe someone should not go in over their head, but their are many now comprising their funds by buying something new, while others are better off to look for a good used deal.

As I have said many a time, and will continue to do so, it is all about getting out and enjoying camping, despite your style of camping, or what you camp in. Many choose a tent to be able to afford getting out, and I commend them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #98

Florida
Jim, I agree, it's all about getting out in one's trailer.

Wayne, I'll send you a private email about our CRV.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #99

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
If the Escape 19 and the Toyota FJ were the market entry points for fiberglass trailers the market would be in trouble, that's well over a $50,000 entry point.

As well, at least for Scamp, the 13 footer is a big seller. I suspect they have sold at least as many this year as Escape has sold Escape 19s. Of course I'm not comparing the two trailers, but many find small a better starting point on many levels. I think very few Fiberglass owners start with an Escape 19 or 21.
Norm, my post didn't say anything about everyone having to spend large $ in order to get into a fiberglass rv and enjoy camping, and I have no idea where the $50k estimate for an FJ/Escape 19' combo came from. That is about 2/3 what mine cost. There is no question that others may not have the resources or interest in spending similar.

What I did say was that the 13' forms a relatively small portion of the overall small fiberglass rv market, and that the larger 15' to 17' eggs seem to be better sellers, with a growing interest in even larger 19' to 21' eggs. I personally like the smaller eggs and if I was on my own, could definitely see myself in a 15' Escape.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #100

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Hmmmm, Well I can see some things never change!

This was a great topic on the specific's of trailers, which is now turning into a towing topic!!!! Ugh! Really, do we have to go there?
Nope! and also would rather not.

Just wanted to debunk the theory that one needs to spend a whole lot of money to get a comfortable and safe trailer combo, that is also economical to operate.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lil snoozy