Lil Snoozy Wheelbase - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: Just looking
NC
Lil Snoozy Wheelbase

When I visited the Snoozy factory I asked the owners if they had ever considered redesigning their cool camper so the wheels set under the camper body instead of outside. I was told that a change like that would require new molds to be made and therefore would be too expensive at this stage of the game. It was just an idea that came to me while looking it over. I sometimes haul a flat bed trailer that has the wheels sitting outside the bed and it's wheelbase is the exact width of the Lil Snoozy's. At times, especially on narrow roads, I have to be really careful to keep the wheels tracking inside the center line or from running off the shoulder of the road. The wheel base is actually wider than my GMC pickup's wheelbase. I'm assuming the Lil Snoozy would track the same. Anyway, just a concern of mine. Maybe some of you Snoozy owners could share your road hauling experiences? Seems like most FG camper designs have the wheels under the camper for a sleeker look and maybe less wind drag. I did a little playing around in photoshop to see how the Snoozy would look with wheel wells molded into the body to accept a narrower wheel base axle. I did this for fun and this image is in no way endorsed by or represents current design changes by the Snoozy team. Just curious what others think of a visual of this design idea. I think it would make the camper even more aerodynamic and looks pretty cool. What say you?
Attached Thumbnails
Snoozy Wheel Redesign2.jpg  
Old 11-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
road hauling experiences?
Rexlion has some here "I was unaware that they had sold me a trailer with an extra-wide axle....."

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anyone Else Out There Own A LIL Snoozy?
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:14 AM   #3

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Advantages to under body wheels:

Narrow track on narrow roads.

Looks nice.

May be a little more aerodynamic.

Advantages to wheels outside body:

Enhanced stability in curves and high winds.

Easier to service.

You can see the tires in your mirrors.

No lost space in the body.

Less chance of damage to the body if a tire blows.

At first I was a little concerned about narrow roads. We just returned from a trip where we drove over 4700 miles over all kinds of roads. keeping the wheels centered in the road is not a problem. I like be able to see the wheels.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:29 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Advantages to under body wheels:

Narrow track on narrow roads.

Looks nice.

May be a little more aerodynamic.

Advantages to wheels outside body:

Enhanced stability in curves and high winds.

Easier to service.

You can see the tires in your mirrors.

No lost space in the body.

Less chance of damage to the body if a tire blows.

At first I was a little concerned about narrow roads. We just returned from a trip where we drove over 4700 miles over all kinds of roads. keeping the wheels centered in the road is not a problem. I like be able to see the wheels.
Assuming that the body is made wider and the wheels are the same width or close to same width apart those are not true statement.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:37 AM   #5

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
I am considering a Lil Snoozy and had the same concerns about the wheel base.

BUT what concerns me more is I have read posts here and other places with dissatisfied customers with issues after purchasing. I understand that the management has made some changes, and I have noticed that some of the issues customers were unhappy about occurred in 2013, which may be attributed to the change over in management. HOWEVER, I believe that now the Lil Snoozy brand new including taxes are about $20K, give or take, and I would expect no issues at that price. And if an issue arose, I would expect quick and courteous service. I will add I have read of many happy customers. But I have read enough of some peoples problems with basically getting blown off when they get home and have problems, that it has thrown up some read flags for me.

The RV net forum site mentioned above also mentioned that some reps from the Lil Snoozy were posting on forums under aliases to make their product and service seem better than it is (or something along those lines). Regardless, if true, very questionable ethics - and GIANT RED FLAG.

I like the looks and everything about the Lil Snoozy but I am very nervous about customer service if I decide to purchase one. I have read of many happy customers. I am nervous anyway about a $20K investment and a company 1,000 miles away.

I am hoping that whatever change in management happened that the problems and customer service issues are solved. I would like to hear from the Lil Snoozy people on some of these issues.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:48 AM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Just to avoid confuscation
Wheelbase is the distance between two axles on the same vehicle
Wheel track is the space between wheels on the same axle.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:22 AM   #7

North Carolina
Registry
In answer to Byron. Greg did not say anything about making the body wider. That would make a considerably wider trailer.

The early Snoozies did have a few problems. They are not perfect now. We have had a few things like cabinet latches that could be better and window screens that fall out on rough roads but overall I believe the LS is a better camper.

The price is not much different that Casita, Scamp and Parkliner.

Richard is doing his best to help customers with any problems and is honoring his warranty.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:21 PM   #8

Missouri
One thing I noticed on the Lil Snoozy sales video - things like the cassette toilet (which I really like) are not standard. The standard option is a porta potty. The cassette shown on the video is extra $600. Same deal with the nice "memory mattress" - it's an added option. Their list price is $19.9K, but quickly adds up to more like $25K with just a few options.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #9

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
My dos centavos is as a Scamp owner and fellow that has actually seen ONE Lil Snoozy in person. I really like several features of the Snoozy, which I will not elaborate on to keep my comments on track. The wheel "track" width is a deal killer for me. Pure and simple it is IMHO too wide and was a design decision done purely to sinplify construction and as a cost saving measure. The narrower track of the Parkliner, Casita, Scamp, etc. is plenty stable enough for any forseeable use of an FGRV. Any of the other supposed advantages to the wider track are far out weighed by the too-wide track. If the "wide track" is such an advantage where are all the other travel trailers that use it?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:57 PM   #10

Missouri
dang, Timber Wolf, now you have me rethinking my Lil Snoozy preference. I admittedly am not the best driver in the world. I am now starting to wonder about keeping it on my side of the road in tight spots as I do intend on taking it off the beaten path.

I'm continuing to save $$$. Hope to be able to make my purchase by April or May. I would like to go with a used model of whatever I buy to save a few bucks, so a lot will depend on what becomes available online in the spring.

But dangit, I was about 90% sold on the Snoozy.

Any Snoozy owners want to try to bring me back in your camp?? I welcome all opinions. Keep in mind, I am 6'5" and that rules out most models in my opinion - and, yes, I have heard all the arguments about how that don't matter. It does matter to me.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #11

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Just a few tips about buying used....

Scour the ads NOW, although there are fewer ads in the colder parts of the country right now, prices are down and will stay so for about two-three more months. As soon as the first Robin of Spring flies by, prices will start going up and up until they peak again in late spring/early summer.

To save $$$, now is the time to shop and buy, it's sorta like the Black Friday for FGRV's. And if you spend all your money now, your relatives will not expect as much for a Christmas present because you "spent all your money on that stupid trailer". It's win-win for you!!!!

As an aside on Lil Snoozy's.... I believe that the chassis maker's primary business is boat trailers which might, in part, explain the wider track.

And sorry to hear about your height impairment.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:39 PM   #12

NC
Thanks for the comments my FG friends! I guess I wasn't too clear on the terminology on wheel base/wheel track guestion. I was simply referring to the axle being shortened so the wheels could set up under the current body of the camper thus making the overall width of the trailer (OD) more narrow on the road. I wasn't referring of a wider camper body, that would put the OD of the camper width back where it started.

Charlie makes some good points and should know first hand after pulling one that many miles. Good to hear from an owner actively pulling one. The point about a blowout damaging the FG is something to consider as well although I haven't heard too many horror stories from egg campers with wheels under the FG body wheel well. I also remember reading recently and seeing images about one Snoozy owner that was side swiped by a car and drove the tire and diamond plate fender up into the side wall of the camper. I guess either could cause significant damage to FG unless it was reinforced in that area. Robert Johans new Nest Caravan design has the wheels under the body and doesn't appear to be a very wide camper. It's a cool design but will carry a hefty price tag. I guess there's always things to worry about and consider before biting the bullet on a camper. My problem is I like 'em all.
I'm with you Mark. The Snoozy is one of my top picks too. I love the interior layout and rear door. I would hate to buy one then have someone take off the drivers side wheel because I hugged the center line while site seeing.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #13

North Carolina
Registry
In the end what a person buys is a personal decision. I looked at LS at first then decided to buy a used Casita. We could not find what we wanted so we looked at Parkliner. That was out after all the customer relations problems. We went to the factory and after looking at the LS and talking to Richard we made the decision to buy. We have the cassette, which is great and some extra windows, electric brakes and the generator package. All this came in around 23,000.00. That is a lot of MOO-Lah..but here is what I like.

Thick shell

No openings in the roof to leak

The hull is 360, no wooded floor to rot

Galvanized frame

Rear door that is flat, standard aluminum RV, if you need to replace

Queen bed , does not require sitting up at night.

All LED lights, inside and out.

Aluminum wheels

All electric ( I do carry a gas camp stove for outside)

Real wood cabinets

Unique shape, I don't know how truly aerodynamic it is but it is very stable at 70 MPH.

The wheel track width is not an issue with me. I have drove a lot of big vehicles in my life. I find you get used to things like that fast. This may not be true for everyone. If that bothers you, you may be happier with something else.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #14

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Rexlion has some here "I was unaware that they had sold me a trailer with an extra-wide axle....."

I had to just shake my head after reading this. The wide track of the Snoozy is not a flaw, it is a design choice. That choice brings certain advantages, and certain disadvantages to the design. It is up to each customer to weigh the relative advantages and disadvantages during the purchasing process. If you don't like the wide track, buy something else. If you aren't bothered by the wide track, consider the Snoozy.

The fact that this owner drove his wheel off the pavement is no fault of the Snoozy. It is purely that he did not allow for the width of the axle in his driving. Snoozy had absolutely zero obligation to him for his driving error, and the fact that they offered him any help at all is commendable. When he thumbed his nose at their offer and demanded more, well, I for one don't blame them for cutting him off.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:29 PM   #15

NC
Hummmm..... good points to consider Paul, even if I do have trouble keeping it between the ditches.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
......change over in management.

....The RV net forum site mentioned above also mentioned that some reps from the Lil Snoozy were posting on forums under aliases ........
The same (is the title co-owner? idk) is still there today as the day the complaints were posted, Link here
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...wsy-66751.html

And all the other posts you are talking about are still in the archives. A search for cadillac cts may find them. Being locked, they are a little easier to find also. Dated Somewhere around 7-26-2011 I think. A forum member here went through and pointed them all out.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:30 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Henning View Post

I had to just shake my head after reading this. The wide track of the Snoozy is not a flaw, it is a design choice. That choice brings certain advantages, and certain disadvantages to the design. It is up to each customer to weigh the relative advantages and disadvantages during the purchasing process. If you don't like the wide track, buy something else. If you aren't bothered by the wide track, consider the Snoozy.

The fact that this owner drove his wheel off the pavement is no fault of the Snoozy. It is purely that he did not allow for the width of the axle in his driving. Snoozy had absolutely zero obligation to him for his driving error, and the fact that they offered him any help at all is commendable. When he thumbed his nose at their offer and demanded more, well, I for one don't blame them for cutting him off.
I am "Rexlion" on rv.net. To set things straight, I never demanded more, I merely told Alan (based on his comment to me that the trailer was not designed for a spring axle and would be damaged by it without reinforcing the frame) that I was willing to accept his offer if he would also provide info on what frame reinforcements were necessary. To that he replied that my demands were unreasonable. Paul, do you think that it was unreasonable of me to ask him how I should protect my trailer from damage when using a spring axle?

As for my driving, how would you like to be on a very narrow country blacktop with no center line and have a car coming toward you that looks to be a little too far over? I bet you would run one trailer tire off the pavement, just like I did.

Oh and BTW, when I contacted the frame mfr and asked what reinforcements were needed on the frame for a spring axle, they were puzzled and said no such reinforcement was necessary. So what does that say about Alan's veracity?

Here's the thread on FGRV: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...les-61023.html
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #18

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
We've put over 7000 miles on ours from June through Sept. 2014. We had no problems with keeping it within the ditches, but the track width is wider than our 13' Scamp.
The problems that others have experienced, ie: blue hose on the Thedford toilet; the door latch failing causing the door to open; and window screens falling out on rough roads, were all parts manufacturers problems which are being taken care of. The only problem I had, was with the shiny aluminum fenders when the sun was low enough in the sky, would reflect it into my side view mirror :. I do like being able to see the tires in the side view mirror. The door latch on ours was not part of the recall, and we elected to go with the Thedford portapotty (no blue hose), and HEHR windows, so no screens falling out. The layout of the Lil Snoozy that isn't found in any other new production trailers was the reason we purchased, and continue to love it. I do like the look of the computer generated Lil Snoozy, but if the tires were placed within the body, there would be storage loss.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:05 PM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Considering the way Thom had his Parkliner wheel wells modified, it seems possible for a FG shop to cut in and form wheel wells out of FG on the Snoozy. There's a saying, anything can be done for a price.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:27 PM   #20

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
I'm not taking any sides in this argument but there is a difference in overall width. The Snoozy is 8 foot across from tire to tire. A 17 foot Casita has a width of 6'8". Sixteen inches seems like a significant difference to me and I have to sympathize with the guy who was worried about towing on narrow roads.

But it all comes down to what is important to the person buying the trailer. Do you want a real bathroom, propane, a bigger bed, etc. etc.? Everybody makes their own choice and then has to live with it.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lil snoozy