1974 furnace replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: 1974 Boler
Ontario
1974 Boler furnace hunt

Hi everybody. I'm Dave. I just picked up a 1974, 13' boler, and I decided to join this fine site.
I picked up the boler for $300, and of course that means it's going to need some work. I decided not to restore it to it's original, but instead to change it up a bit.

So that being said, over time, I wish to question a few of you good boler owners out there to help me with a few questions.

I am going to replace the ice box fridge with a 3-way fridge from Scamp Trailers, and replace the stove from the same outfit. However, they do not sell a furnace that will fit into the old hole that the original stove came from. I know I can do a little remodeling to make a different type of furnace fit, and that is where you good people come to may aid.

Question 1: Does anyone know where I can get a furnace that will fit in the original hole, and if not, is there a furnace out there that comes close to fit?

Dave
Dave H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Pictures, must have pictures!

You might want to rethink the 3-way fridge. A 12VDC / 120VAC compressor fridge will not require huge holes in your trailer, and can be run on about 100W of solar, including at night.

The furnace question is much more complicated, and will require pictures.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:20 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You might also want to reconsider your parts sources. There are lot of places on-line that will underprice Scamps fixed prices. I'd also cruse Kijji for RV parts.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:39 PM   #4

Ontario
The propane free fridge sounds interesting. I was thinking about putting in a solar system. Would you know where I could pick one up that would fit the hole? I will post pics in a couple of minutes as soon as I figure out how. I will also give the dimensions of the opening.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #5

Name: steve
Trailer: Boler
Banff, Alberta
eagerly awaiting reply regarding fridge! Solar would be great!

I'm finding a few on aliexpress dot com, but most are very very small.
Anyone know what size in litres the original fridges are? Just for comparison sake?

Not trying to hi-jack your thread….
Our after market furnace is called an Olympian 3100 Catalytic Heater.
nelsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:07 PM   #6

Ontario
pics and measurements of old furnace and fridge

The old stove measurements are H 20 1/4" W 7 1/2" and the depth varies. It is 5 1/2" at the wheel well, and 18" at the top.

The fridge measurements are H 20 1/4" W 17 3\4" D 18"

Still trying to figure out how to send a pic. I used attachments, but it quit on me.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:09 PM   #7

Ontario
Thanks Bob. I will check out kijiji
Old 06-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #8

Ontario
Where did you pick up your Olympian 3100 Catalytic Heater, and does it fit perfectly and if you don't mind, how much?
Old 06-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #9

Banff, Alberta
the vintagetrailersupply site sells them for 229.
There's just a panel riveted over the old opening, and the olympian is attached to it with the propane line.
Works really well.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #10

Alberta
Registry
The main down side to a catalytic heater is that the products of combustion end up inside the trailer. This is potentially dangerous, but mostly the issue is water vapor. CO2 and water are the main products of combustion Which, technically, is not what is going on with a catalytic heater, but the end result is the same. So condensation can be an issue, especially in a humid environment. Not bad in Alberta, since it is dry here. But, in Ontario it may be more of a problem. On the wet coast even more so.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #11

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H. View Post
The old stove measurements are H 20 1/4" W 7 1/2" and the depth varies. It is 5 1/2" at the wheel well, and 18" at the top.

The fridge measurements are H 20 1/4" W 17 3\4" D 18"

Still trying to figure out how to send a pic. I used attachments, but it quit on me.
Check out this chart for fridges. Looks like you are in the 1.7cu. ft. range. No freezer:
http://www.thetford.com/Portals/0/PD...er_rev4-13.pdf

You can also use this chart as a shopping list of propane fridges that will fit. I suspect that originally your trailer would have had an RM211, very common on kijiji. Are there fridge vents on the road side of your trailer?
Old 06-03-2014, 09:19 PM   #12

Banff, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
The main down side to a catalytic heater is that the products of combustion end up inside the trailer. This is potentially dangerous, but mostly the issue is water vapor. CO2 and water are the main products of combustion Which, technically, is not what is going on with a catalytic heater, but the end result is the same. So condensation can be an issue, especially in a humid environment. Not bad in Alberta, since it is dry here. But, in Ontario it may be more of a problem. On the wet coast even more so.
All true.
Though having the simple 'door' mounted catalytic heater does free up all that space behind the old furnace and under the sink, and lets face it, any extra space no matter how small is valuable in the 13'ers.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:46 AM   #13

Ontario
I did look up the Olympian fridges, and they do look good, but I too am worried about not being able to vent it other than opening a couple of windows. Of course that's not a bad thing. There's nothing like a bit of fresh air. I also do like the fact that it gives more space to put things. They are also much easier on the pocket book as well. However, condensation is already an issue in a boler, and I do live in a sometimes semi humid area. There are many pros and cons. I will have to give it some serious thought. All the new furnaces that I've checked out so far, involves reconstruction of the cabinet, which wouldn't be an issue. I've worked with fiberglass before. Thanks Steve.

As to your question David T., I do not have fridge vents on either side because the original fridge was just an ice box fridge. However, I have no problem putting in another vent. I'm no stranger to challenges of any kind. I am going to check out that site you suggested, and see if I can come up with something there. I just want to have a propane choice, because I do a lot of off site camping, and I don't want to run into a problem where the battery power failed me. Thanks David. I will keep in touch as I continue my quest. I will also try and get pics up, but having trouble with that at the moment. If anyone knows a quick way to do that, it would be appreciated. I tried using attachments, but it seems to be taking forever to upload.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:48 AM   #14

Ontario
Pics of boler, fridge and stove

Hopefully these pics load up
Attached Thumbnails
boler.jpg   fridge.jpg  

stove.jpg  
Old 06-04-2014, 06:13 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Check out the Propex heater as another option.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...q=propex&sa=Go
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:16 AM   #16

Banff, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H. View Post
Hopefully these pics load up
Let's try to focus on the more important issue in this thread....you bought that for 300 bucks!?! Score!
Old 06-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #17

Alberta
Registry
Your furnace appears to be a Wagon Master. Does it work?
Old 06-04-2014, 06:44 PM   #18

Ontario
You are correct David, on it being a Wagon Master furnace. The previous owner told me that it didn't work. When I removed it from it's mount, I noticed that two lines were broken. The pen in the pics show which lines are broken. I suppose I could get these lines at any of the local trailer dealers or propane dealers. I don't see any damage on the heat exchanger other than rust. I imagine I could clean it up a bit and spray paint the cover to look new again. Maybe I will try that option before purchasing a new one. Decisions, decisions. I just want to get it functional for this year's camping, and then do the major changes next year. The weather's been great, and I'm getting the itch to get out there. I'll keep you informed whether I can get the old furnace up and running again.

Also, yes Steve, it was a steal of a deal. $300 was a good deal considering that I have seen bolers that were falling completely apart and they were asking $1000. The owner of this one was going to put it on kijiji for $2500, but because he is my Nieces husband, I guess he gave me a good deal.
Attached Thumbnails
furnace parts.jpg   furnace parts 2.jpg  

Old 06-13-2014, 11:14 PM   #19

Name: Lois
British Columbia
Does the furnace not work? I read somewhere that the old "gravity" furnaces were good. I'd like to know what others think.
Lois Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1974, boler, furnace, replace