Install help needed for Progressive Dynamic 4045 charge/converter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2015, 07:37 PM   #1

Name: Marcia
Trailer: '00 Burro 17' WB
Seattle, WA
Install help needed for Progressive Dynamic 4045 charge/converter

As I write this my husband is couple hours in to an install of a Progressive Dynamics 4045 charge/converter in our 1999 Burro. We have found there is a lack of detailed install documentation in PD's box. I have been searching here for threads with more detail, but am coming up empty. I'm guessing it's a lack on my part of good search skills. I'm hoping someone can help us.

He needs to know how the output from the MAIN BREAKER gets to the small 120V HOT panel on the lower right. There does not seem to be electrical continuity between breaker output and panel. The previous unit used the output of a second breaker to drive the converter, and other breakers could drive AC circuits. Is that how it is done?
Also, is there a detailed wiring diagram anywhere?

Thanks for any help you can give a husband who is starting to get frustrated and thus is not so pleasant to be around!
mglyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:15 PM   #2

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
google...

http://www.progressivedyn.com/pdfs/1...ish%20Only.pdf
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:09 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Yes, that is a little confusing, and the manual does not really answer the question.

The MAIN breaker "Backfeeds" to the main buss, separate breakers are then added to that buss to power ac loads. The first breaker to add after the main should be about a 10 amp breaker for the converter that would then have it's output connected to the small buss bar at the right side with the black wire for the converter connected to it. OR you could take that wire off of the small buss bar and connect it directly to the breaker.

Then add additional breakers for additional ac loads like the outlets etc. You can use duplex breakers to get two circuits per breaker space.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:42 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
10 amp breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Yes, that is a little confusing, and the manual does not really answer the question.

The MAIN breaker "Backfeeds" to the main buss, separate breakers are then added to that buss to power ac loads. The first breaker to add after the main should be about a 10 amp breaker for the converter that would then have it's output connected to the small buss bar at the right side with the black wire for the converter connected to it. OR you could take that wire off of the small buss bar and connect it directly to the breaker.

Then add additional breakers for additional ac loads like the outlets etc. You can use duplex breakers to get two circuits per breaker space.
I agree with Bob on using a 10 amp circuit breaker for the converter unfortunately since the smallest guage of wire allowed by the NEC for building wire is #14 AWG rated at 15 amps ,the smallest standard size breaker you will find is a 15 amp . Finding a tandem (half space) breaker rated for 10 amps is next to impossible . The converter should come from the factory with a built in fuse sized to protect itself and not rely solely on the branch circuit overcurrent protection.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I think that it's all about initial cost containment.
10 amp single breakers are readily available, leaving room for two tandem breakers for the additional loads.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:36 PM   #6

Name: Marcia
Trailer: '00 Burro 17' WB
Seattle, WA
Thank you, Bob. That was exactly the info my husband needed. He is moving forward with the installation.
mglyons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco