Window bars - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #1

Name: Heather
Trailer: 1971 Play Pac
Pennsylvania
Registry
Smile Window bars

Ok I need some options for replacing the missing notched window bars that hold the windows open and closed. Any idea where I might buy them, or how to refabricate them?
Thanks,
Heather
imbabyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I'm not familiar with Play Pac windows, but our '46 teardrop used a flat notched bar to hold open or closed the door window. I got one on ebay a year or two ago and haven't installed it yet. Can't remember the seller I got it from. You can try to google "vintage trailer parts" or camper parts and see if you can find one. Shouldn't be too hard to fabricate otherwise, a thick piece of aluminum should work. For now I'm using a wood dowel for a window support, a screw in one end, hole in the other. Just haven't got back to making that notched bar fit. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
Hey Heather,
This is a tough one ... I looked up the window makers because my Play Pac still has the old stickers on a cou ole of the corners. I was going to contact them to see what would a brand new complete window cost (just for fun since all of my windows are intact, but hey, they're not brand new right?) ... Alas, there is no info to be found. I think Mary and Bob made a great suggestion as some aluminum can be notched to replicate the current pieces, but if you can find the exact ones on eBay, then even better. Let us know how you do as I would like to keep a list of sources for all available replacement parts - these neat little eggs arent getting any younger!!!
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #4

New York
I found some on ebay like what I bought some time ago, I think from the same seller. If you go to ebay and do a search for "vintage 40's 50's trailer window operator" you should find it, they had several available. Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but check it out. Bob
Old 04-30-2012, 07:14 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This is a direct link to the ad on eBay, I HOPE to what Bob referenced: Vintage 40's 50's TRAILER camper WINDOW OPERATOR Push Lever notched arm geara
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbabyh View Post
Ok I need some options for replacing the missing notched window bars that hold the windows open and closed. Any idea where I might buy them, or how to refabricate them?
Thanks,
Heather
The bars can be fabricated quite easily with a flat piece of aluminum or steel. If you have an original bar, you can use it as a template for cutting the notches. Looks like a drilled hole and rivet (or small bolt) for the hinge end. I have a few temporary bars in my Playpac right now made from scrap metal, but I will be fabricating nice replacement bars soon.
Chris Bradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chet View Post
Hey Heather,
This is a tough one ... I looked up the window makers because my Play Pac still has the old stickers on a cou ole of the corners.
What is the name of the window manufacturer? The door frame on my Playpac is completely broken off, and I've noticed that the windows have the same aluminum frame material as the door ... I may need to sacrifice one of the windows (replace with modern window) just to use the frame material to repair the door. Just wondering .... thanks.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #8

New York
That's it Donna, thanks, hope that part is what they need. bob
Old 04-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #9

Registry
Hey Chris,
I don't think we have met - another Play Pac owner?! If we haven't met yet - nee to meet you, if we have - doh! Do you have any photos of your Play Pac?

Here's what I could figure out since the decals on the windows are quite faded but as best as I could see there were three different sets of info total on some or all of each window. This is what I got:

Plexiglas R&H Co.
Acrylic Safety Glazing
ANSI Z97.1-1966 >.099 U

Creation Incorporated
Three Rivers Michigan #9093

Acrylite
Acrylic Sheet
ASA-5 Mo

I will post shots of the decals and stamped info below
Attached Thumbnails
photo 1.JPG   photo 5.JPG  

photo 2.JPG   photo 4.JPG  

Old 04-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #10

Registry
Heather,

Here is what I could figure out regarding the latches. They are exactly 9" long (the photos arent that good and it appears they arent 9 inches - but they are - i measured 4 different ones) and have 2 notches (the closest one to the end props the window open just slightly and the other further in, allows the window to open a bit more. They are riveted and very fragile/ soft. They are held in place with additional clips and this also makes sure the window is locked shut. I will attach photos but please note that my tape measure is misleading - it cracked and i was too cheap to toss it so i fixed it by recutting it at exactly 1" and so you have to subtract 1" from everything since it starts at 2" (sorry for the confusion)!

The ones on eBay are similar and look like they would work - they are actually a bit more detailed but they might just work, can't be sure though. Here are some photos - sorry for the poor quality as it was tough to hold everything and take the shot at the same time.

Also in the preview, it looks like some of the photos are upside down - not sure why thats happening!
Attached Thumbnails
photo 1.JPG   photo 2.JPG  

photo 3.JPG   photo 4.JPG  

photo 5.JPG  
Old 04-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Paul
Thanks for the pictures. Looks like it is made out of 1/8"x 1/2" aluminum flat stock. You can buy it from Lowe's or most larger Hwd stores. Just cut with hacksaw, drill holes and file your notches then bolt or rivet to the window bracket.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:24 AM   #12

Yes Paul, thanks for the pics. Creation Incorporated ... I think that's the window company and just yesterday I discovered that the same windows were used on the Love Bug and some of the 70's Scamp trailers... which is good news for PlayPac owners as these windows are rare, but not exclusive.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #13

Name: Heather
Trailer: 1971 Play Pac
Pennsylvania
Registry
Yeah!! Thanks paul.....yes, those are the ones!! The ones on the ebay link are hooked, ours are straight, so I dont think they will work. SOOO back to lowes I will go per eddie's suggestion. Poor Ernie.....he hates the hacksaw!!

In the process of replacing the running lights.....ugh!! Tedious project but necessaryas after hours and hours we could not get them to all stay on at once. New Lights, new wires, their so shiny and are quite noticable against the faded white fiberglass......I see an exterior paint job in out future!!!! lol
imbabyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #14

Registry
yeah ... pressing a 'buy now' button on eBay is so much easier than hacking through raw materials! let us know how Ernie does.

regarding lights ... we had the same problem. i removed the wiring, some of which was external (i'm guessing because the previous owner had the same issue with some working and others not but they had already installed the thick insulation and covered the original wires). so i re-soldered brand-new wiring internally to each light, and one at a time, i got them all working again. once I figured out the polarity issue (with great help from our LED gurus here!) - the LED replacement lights i bought and put in literally lit up the night! if you haven't already, look into LED bulbs for your running lights. my old incandescents always looked like they were about to burn out at any minute. the LEDs are incredibly bright and let everyone on the road know you are there.

let us know how its going!

Tags
play–pac