Replacement Options for Fiber Stream Cushions? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Replacement Options for Fiber Stream Cushions?

We hope to replace the cushions soon, and I'm looking for the cheapest option that doesn't involve actual foam cushion replacement and new custom upholstery:

1. Use a twin size futon or memory foam mattress or topper folded lengthwise. Covered with a twin size sheet, since I don't sew.

2. Use a patio cushion from a chaise lounge for the bottom and throw pillows for the back.

Has anyone tried either of these options? How successful was it?

Thanks for the info.
Pamela S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As it turns out we have just installed an IKEA futon mattress and made seat cushions in our Hunter Compact-II.
The good news: a) I wanted a futon mattress that would fold in 1/2 but be flat when open, b) It was on sale for 1/2 price in the "as-is" dept at my local IKEA, c) A fitted quilted cover was also available for $5 (normally $80), d) It was the deluxe inner-spring version and is exceptionally comfortable.
The Bad News:
a) It was about 4" to long to fit in our bed space, b) Being an innerspring mattress, with 100's of coil springs it couldn't just be cut to size like a foam mattress.
It took almost 8 hours to diasssemble the existing mattresses, cut the spring steel frame and refit it together and then remove about 38 innerspings before putting it all back together with hog rings
End result, exactly what we wanted, fits perfect, folds as desired and is uber comfortable.
I believe that there is also an all foam version of the same mattress at IKEA.

For two seats we used foam salvaged out of additional IKEA cushions for the seat bottoms and large throw pillows for the basis for the backs. We covered them with a pattern material from a local fabric supply shop.
Total cost for a new mattress and upholstered cushions, less than $150
I can try to have some pics by the weekend.
If you are located in SoCal. stop by for a look-see.
BTW: Check the IKEA on-line catalog for dozens of cushions of different sizes, what you need may already exist.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Pics would be great. Thank you. I'll check out IKEA, too.
Pamela S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:29 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face Warning! Long story ahead...

A slight diversion from the original question:

As a fellow Fiber Stream owner, I have a fanatical affinity for the brand, more so than most owners. Before last year's Oregon Gathering, another owner had replaced her recovered original cushions with a pair of custom twin mattress and was offering the cushions free to anyone who expressed interest. The foam and the upholstery was in perfect condition, it was just too soft.

If there were no takers she was going to just throw them away.

I had already witnessed one Fiber Stream trailer be customized by the "first" used owner (a member here), only to have the "second" used owner (also a member) painstakingly put everything that was removed back the way it was originally. It was a pre-1980 model, and the second used owner had a difficult challenge finding a replacement Duette Range/Heater for the one that had been scrapped, but was ultimately successful.

I thought that maybe I could store the unwanted cushions so they would be available to someone else, and accepted them at the Gathering. The only way to transport them from Oregon to Southern California was to temporarily double up on my existing cushions for the trip home... I had already replaced the foam in my cushions... and since we already keep the King Bed setup all the time it would be easy, or so I thought... too easy, I found out!

With our 4" of firm regular foam in the original 1978 upholstery, topped with 4" of soft regular foam in new upholstery, we discovered heaven on cloud 9.
The "temporary" 8 inches of foam has become permanent.

I. must. refrain. from. making. it. 12. inches.

Tags
fiber stream