Burro Painted Scene - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-07-2014, 07:07 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Burro, HELIO
Washington
Registry
Burro Painted Scene

Has anyone painted a really cool design on their Burro?
I am thinking of painting a cool design on my Burro but I'd like to see some others. I posted a couple of pics of other painted RVs (not Burros) to stimulate conversation. I have a friend who camps with an all girl camping club and all of them have painted RVs and some of them are really cool.

Does anyone out there have any cool painted murals on their RV they want to share? Anyone have any ideas?

It's all about fun and expression! My friend told me that everywhere she camps people come up and talk to her about her painted RV (it's of a woman cowboy fly fishing). it's really cool. I'll try to post a picture if I can get one from her. Some of these people have done AMAZING jobs with their art and expression!

I'll be curious to see if any of my Fiberglass RV colleagues have done interesting paint jobs and would be willing to post them and write a little story about what prompted them to do so and how they set about painting the design!

Life is short..........LIVE LARGE people!
John Colangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
John, there's a VERY long thread of painted all molded towables. Maybe you'll find inspiration here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ned-25303.html
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #3

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
I'm a long way from painting our U-Haul 13ft'r, but at this point I'm planning on a pale tan/beige not much different than stock for the whole thing... then a somewhat darker brown/sepia-toned landscape running around the lower couple feet, paler as it rises... with a sketchy road-map theme of the Lincoln Hwy running around the middle of the camper. Pic attached from Google Images, that I'll likely copy parts of......

There's a local, friendly vinyl graphics place that can do wonders with adhesive-backed vinyl film... so if I don't like the looks of things later, I'll be able to warm the film up with a heat gun and remove it.

My .02's worth......

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
14-LincolnHwy-03!!!!.jpg  
Old 10-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
That sounds cool Gary, post some pics when you get that far
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:26 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Gary, if you're going to use printed vinyl, ask to see some of their oldest printed graphics that have been outside. We have a couple local shops that convinced fleet owners to go with huge multicolor graphics that looked great for about 2-3 years, now all of them are fading. Almost all have gone back to cut vinyl, a good grade of which should last 6-8 years on a vertical surface outdoors.

Still working on graphics for my Scamp, have all winter to play around with it. One of the advantages of having a cutter. I'm deep into sweatshirt season right now so I don't have time to play with it, but I will post some mockups along the way. Looking forward to seeing your designs, I made maps for about 5 years and collect antique and interesting examples.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #6

Iowa
Below's a very crude mock-up of the sort of thing I had in mind. This is via a very dated & pared-down version of CorelDraw, but maybe helps to visualize what I was trying to describe earlier.

Kevin--I've used the local sign-graphics place for making up both signs for my home business and the perforated vinyl we used for privacy screening on our teardrop trailer. Whatever they used in both applications held up well for 5+ years... exposed to sun & weather year-round. Fairly small town, so the owner seems to treat us locals very well. [But--a good caution you threw out--I'm not belittling it at all.]

A further FYI, to anyone interested. Our teardrop was made out of the back half of a car, and one without frames around the door glass, so we were stumped on what to use for privacy "curtains" when camping. The sign place said he had the same perforated vinyl used for pickup back-glasses, and could print anything on it we wished. So we supplied pictures from places we camped in Colorado, and he printed & installed them for us for $200-250 for the 4 windows. 5 Years later, they'd sun-faded some--more than the sign they made for my business--but not bad.
And so long as we didn't have interior lights on, just the vinyl did a nice job of privacy-screening, while still letting us see out easily. Might be good for some camper applications, too.
A pic of the teardrop is below, as well......
Attached Thumbnails
CT13-Craigslist-TN-101!.jpg   09-teardrop-01a!!.jpg  

Old 10-10-2014, 08:16 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Awesome teardrop! I like the design for the U-haul alot! Always wanted to do a full wrap on one, but I don't have a printer big enough for material that wide, 24" just isn't enough. At this point I'm really leaning towards a monochrome color scheme, just black and white. Any graphics will be very subtle, maybe make it look like a space shuttle egg or something. Although the red Scamp decals match my truck pretty well, they're well past their prime and even last year's Zep coating didn't improve the looks up close. They did make it 20 years, though!

Is the teardrop from the same model as the TV? Good stuff.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:12 PM   #8

Iowa
Yeah, the teardrop's the same 1st gen Neon as the tow vehicle... almost the same year. [95 TV... 97 Teardrop] I got the 97 4dr for its engine, when my 95's was going past 175k... while stripping parts, it occurred to me that the back half, plus a new bubble front, would be about the same size as a traditional [small] teardrop. That was in 98, when the recession cut my work by half... all the hours of construction kept me semi-sane.

We used it off-and-on since then... just sold it last week... now that we've got the U-Haul, it seemed a good time to let it go. Fun while it lasted.......

Tags
burro, paint