Colorado Burro Owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2016, 03:32 PM   #1

Name: Michelle
Trailer: Burro
Colorado
Colorado Burro Owner

Hi,

I am located in Colorado and bought a Burro a few years ago. It's needing some renovation, so I thought I'd sign in and learn what I will have to. Was thinking about taking it down to the frame, replacing the axle, and working from the ground up... IF I can get my husband to help me.

I am also researching the possibility that it may be beyond my skill level, and if so, would sell it and look to buy something newer that does not need renovation.

Anyway, that's my story and I'd love to hear how much of a DIY possibility this is. I do have a tractor to help lift the body off the frame, and the tools for the job. Would probably send the frame to have it sand blasted and painted, and the new axle installed by the shop in town.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,
Michelle
Attached Thumbnails
20140509-_DSC4411.jpg  
BadBadBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:38 PM   #2

Colorado
Interior renovation it needs is replacement floor (the floor feels weak), and a replacement door from where I took the mini-fridge out. The fridge had come loose and was poorly installed, and I won't use a fridge anyway. Especially not an AC fridge. We usually camp out in the weeds somewhere. Then there are other cosmetic things I would love to do like put in a counter top, new table top, etc. to spiff it up.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:51 PM   #3

Colorado
One more pic, this one is of the underside. I would like to get rid of that rust and I think that axle needs to go.
Attached Thumbnails
20160211-_DSC2553.jpg   20160211-_DSC2554.jpg  

Old 02-12-2016, 11:04 AM   #4

Name: Dean
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Hi Bad Bear

Where in CO are you located? I'm curious to know what you re doing for the kitchen counter top. I have a '77 scamp and have been renovating the hell out of it here in Boulder, CO. Lots of work but It needs something for that final touch. A counter top might just be what I need.
dron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:11 AM   #5

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dron View Post
Where in CO are you located? I'm curious to know what you re doing for the kitchen counter top. I have a '77 scamp and have been renovating the hell out of it here in Boulder, CO. Lots of work but It needs something for that final touch. A counter top might just be what I need.
Hi there. I am in Durango area. I am not sure what I'm going to do yet. I like the builds where they take out the whole fiberglass cabinet and make one out of wood. It looks much more functional, with the shelving, etc. I would like to do something really clean like a stainless steel counter top, if I can get someone to build it for me. I also would like to do new cabinet faces, and could do those with steel and wood trim. Do you have a thread on the site with your renovation work?
Old 02-12-2016, 12:10 PM   #6

Name: Dean
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Not yet but I will have a thread.
dron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:16 PM   #7

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Welcome to the magical world of Burro ownership! I have a long thread about my renovation called something like "Rucio's Winter Makeover," which actually spanned a couple of winters. You might find some ideas there as well.

I initially looked into floor replacement, since mine was squishy as well when I first brought it home. I had a trailer speciality place check it out while they had it in the shop to install brakes and deal with the wiring for me. At the time I did not have the home based expertise to consider any sort of floor DIY.

Anyway that trailer shop looked at the way the original floor is sandwiched between the inner and outer shells and decided that it was a pretty complicated thing, and we ended up simply sticking a new platform underneath the existing one to ensure structural stability. And we replaced the rusty screws holding the floor/body to the frame with stainless steel bolts, and gave the whole thing a coating with spray on truck bed liner to protect the wood from the elements.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:26 PM   #8

Colorado
Hi Jen! Thanks for the note, I will look for your thread. I noticed some of your posts earlier as I have horses, as well.

I hadn't thought about simply leaving the two layers intact. But I did think about having someone just build a new little trailer and axle combo (with brakes, yay!), then moving the egg over to it.

I would really love to get it properly bolted to a new frame. I have been afraid of the whole egg rolling off the trailer while rattling down a dirt road.

Thanks for the note and have a great weekend. I am guessing you have the awful weather going through the NE part of the country? Probably no riding yet?

Cheers,
Michlelle
Old 02-12-2016, 02:28 PM   #9

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dron View Post
Not yet but I will have a thread.
Great, I will look forward to seeing it.

I did decide I will take my trailer to a shop and have the axle checked before I go taking anything apart.

I will probably pull the floor up. I am not sure if it is mushy from a previous owner installing it improperly or if the sub floor is the issue. I know the flooring has been replaced once before.

As soon as the mud dries a bit...

Tags
burro