Installing awning rail on Surfside? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2016, 10:03 PM   #1

Name: Jason
Trailer: Surfside
Alberta
Installing awning rail on Surfside?

Hi everyone,
I have a 1976 Surfside with no awning rail. I got a nice awning/add-a-room that will fit the trailer if I install a standard c-channel awning rail. Does anyone have any recommendations about installing the railing? I have read a bit about the 3M VHB tape. Has anyone had any experience with the tape or should I just look at having it riveted or bolted down?
Thanks in advance for any responses!
Jason
seawardfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:29 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by seawardfamily View Post
Hi everyone,
I have a 1976 Surfside with no awning rail. I got a nice awning/add-a-room that will fit the trailer if I install a standard c-channel awning rail. Does anyone have any recommendations about installing the railing? I have read a bit about the 3M VHB tape. Has anyone had any experience with the tape or should I just look at having it riveted or bolted down?
Thanks in advance for any responses!
Jason
Howdy Jason, a number of folks here have use the VHB tape with good luck and others use rivets. If you go to 3Ms site and read what VHB is used on it's impressive. Just me, but if I was going to add a C rail, the VHB would be fine but I would add a rivet to the ends and one in the middle....just cuz. I'm on the list of folks here not worried about putting a hole in the shell . Others will chime in soon.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:04 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Surfside
Ontario
Registry
Hello Jason. I have a 1978 Surfside TM-14 and the rail is actual bolted to the trailer. One of the few things that is not riveted to the shell. there are bolts with capped nuts on the inside of the trailer. I have used a trap as an awning and have not had any issues with the rail. Just some information. I can take some pictures if you would like some more details.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2157.jpg  

1978 Surf Side TM-14
2013 Hyundai Tusonhttps://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif
Bushman-esq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:18 PM   #4

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: 1978 Tripple E Surfside
British Columbia
Registry
i attached an 8 foot rail to my surfside for a bag awning, it is pretty much flat on the top of the roof edge (just far enough up so the bag rests on the body lip above the door, I used rivets and butyl tape works great
jrocmagoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, surfside