Need Burro (spare) Wheel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2016, 06:45 PM   #1

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Need Burro (spare) Wheel

I know I saw this years ago when I bought my Burro, but at the time I didn't think I needed a spare since my trips were all less than a couple of hundred miles. The catastrophic blow out I had with less than 500 miles on a new tire Sunday afternoon has changed my attitude considerably. Anyway, I tried my Google-Foo skills searching the this forum and the closest I got was U-Haul wheels in a 5 year old reference from Donna D. I have a contact in that industry and will ask him about their availability, but was wondering whether anyone had a more recent reference or better yet a left over odd wheel they could spare?

Also, does anyone have extensive experience carrying their spare on that chintzy little two-bolts-through-the-fiberglass arrangement on rough roads? I don't drive far on the highways, but when I get to the campground, the gravel road and the field I park in are way less than optimal. I've thought about mounting a support from the bumper to damp out some of the bouncing, but wonder whether that would hurt more than help.

TIA for any and all input here!
Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:59 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The Uhaul wheels are most likely different. They have an odd offset and the bolt pattern is 5 on 4 3/4. Most camper wheels with 5 studs are a 4 1/2 bolt circle. Look up how to measure the bolt circle or buy the tool to do it. Another Burro owner will have better info.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:39 PM   #3

Virginia
Registry
Thanks, Bob. Of course I have the old 4 lug pattern 13" rims on my '83. It appears they are 4" on center... does that sound about right? I'm also wondering whether anyone has experience changing out their axles or at least their hubs to go with the much more readily available 5 lug wheels?? I'd rather not have to do that unless absolutely necessary, but I don't want to fight with a wheel problem for the rest of my life either. Doesn't anybody have one they've pulled off of a Burro when they changed theirs out??

Froggie
Old 06-13-2016, 07:44 PM   #4

New York
I believe both Tractor Supply and Northern Tool have 4 lug wheels
Old 06-13-2016, 09:06 PM   #5

Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I believe both Tractor Supply and Northern Tool have 4 lug wheels
Nope... TS didn't have anything to say yesterday about 13" X 4 lug, and the only 13" wheels NT had available as f today were 5 lug. the folks at NT suggested I try my local trailer sales & service company which I'll try to do tomorrow.

Froggie
Old 06-14-2016, 05:40 AM   #6

New York
Well that's becoming more difficult than I expected. Northern shows a 4 lug wheel in their catalog, 13", so I figured a simple solution.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:21 AM   #7

Virginia
Registry
Veerrry interestink! Although the person I talked to was one of their senior employees and should have a pretty good idea of what they sold, a quick check of their online catalog shows that they do indeed have those rims available in a variety of styles (and prices) both with and without tires already mounted. My options may be opening up quite a bit.

I wonder whether the "bumps" on my OEM wheels that hold the hubcap are going to be industry standard or whether I'll have to go "capless" if I get another, newer wheel.

Continuing along with the spare tire theme, does anyone carry their spare mounted directly to the back wall of their Burro? Any signs of stress cracking from the vibration?

As always, TIA!
Froggie
Old 06-14-2016, 07:57 AM   #8

New York
I did a quick look on ebay and found some 4 lug, 13" wheels there, with or without tires, and some with FREE shipping. As for carrying the spare on the rear, I don't know how it would be for a Burro so can't answer that. But consider weight, and how much the trailer may bounce, so you want something sturdy and secure. A Uhaul owner just had his rear mounted spare come loose, drag in the road, and ruin tire and rim.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:03 AM   #9

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1978 Burro
Michigan
Burro spare tire mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
I know I saw this years ago when I bought my Burro, but at the time I didn't think I needed a spare since my trips were all less than a couple of hundred miles. The catastrophic blow out I had with less than 500 miles on a new tire Sunday afternoon has changed my attitude considerably. Anyway, I tried my Google-Foo skills searching the this forum and the closest I got was U-Haul wheels in a 5 year old reference from Donna D. I have a contact in that industry and will ask him about their availability, but was wondering whether anyone had a more recent reference or better yet a left over odd wheel they could spare?

Also, does anyone have extensive experience carrying their spare on that chintzy little two-bolts-through-the-fiberglass arrangement on rough roads? I don't drive far on the highways, but when I get to the campground, the gravel road and the field I park in are way less than optimal. I've thought about mounting a support from the bumper to damp out some of the bouncing, but wonder whether that would hurt more than help.

TIA for any and all input here!
Froggie

I drove to Arizona this past winter and back with my spare on the back of my Burro. Somewhere around 4500 miles or so there and back. All highway miles though. I didn't have any problem with the nuts coming loose. I did add some hard plastic washers so the nuts and metal washers didn't cut into and ruin the new spares paint. I also pulled the wheel cover over the top of the tire and pinned it behind the spare to the body of the Burro. I bought a cover that was too large I'd say and didn't want it to blow off on the trip. My entire spare was pressing against the back of the burro and I think that really helped to keep the spare in place.

I have pulled the "bolts" out of the Burro and may add some larger washers or something else inside to help support the spare setup. I have a ton of work to do on the Burro this summer. Going to install several more outlets etc. My 4 months living in the Burro gave me a real good idea of what I have to do to improve things for camping in it.
DuaneQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:23 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Azur
Trailer: 1980 Burro, 1973 Trillium 1300, 1977 Surfside 14',1975 Boler 13'
Washington
Registry
Burro spare

Hi there,
I have a spare for the Burro sitting around. New tire never used. I am in Seattle though. You are welcome to it! If you want to pay shipping. If you want to send me a text I will send you a photo.
206 931 2580

I rebuilt the frame and added a Flexiride axle on put the standard sized wheels with the 5x 4.5 bolt pattern. I have driven quite a bit with the spare on the 2 bolts and think it is sturdy enough. Because of the shape of the Burro adding a support on the back bumper requires you to have the spare stick out further than the bumper. Then if you are hit from behind it would push into the spare and maybe into the fiberglass rather than hitting the bumper.
Azur
Gogocamper
Azurko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro