Rebuild of a Trillium Sportsman - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2014, 09:16 AM   #141

Name: Bill
Trailer: Trillium
Baltimore, MD
It looks really good...what size screws and material type screws did you use to mount the windows from the outside? And just to clarify, the windows are held in by the screws from the outside of the window to the new wood interior trim, rather than the plywood in the trailer walls? THANKS for your valuable time!!
billiam1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #142

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
mounting hardware

The screws are #8 x 1 1/4" plated washer head type. and yes they are screwed from outside. and I have no plywood left on any of the windows.
ryan parsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:22 AM   #143

My ensolite sagga

I said I would post my results from the ensolite gluing problem on the ceiling of the Sportsman. [ This is what I opened the door too, a few weeks ago. The heat from the 38-40 degree days had completely softened all the glue and the weight of the ensolite separated the glue-- half remaining on the fiber glass and half remaining on the ensolite. Both sides being tacky to the touch.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1431.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	73992Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1432.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	73997 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1429.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	73998I thought then I could reattach so tried but was down the next morning. The problem is it the glue or non compatable with the ensolite? The next problem how to rid the fiberglass and ensolite of the bad? glue. I found thru some trial and error that the removal of this glue to be inpossible without grinding the effected areas. The ceiling is grinable but the ensolite is not and no amount of contact cement remover is going to rid the surface of the glue that was on it. The solution to me was to find a glue that was compatable to mix with the offending glue to make the neccassary bond. so tried a bunch of mock ups of the ensolite with various glues the picture shows all the ones I tried and the original hp15 in order from left to right
  • hp 15 original didn't last a year before it was pulling away
  • Jackson 840 - cheap-Yellow-not heat resistant - did not stick
  • Lepage heavy duty- water and heat resistant-clear- did not hold
  • 3M Super 77 -clear- did not hold
  • Helmitin-Helmiprene 1685- high heat resistant-clear did not hold
  • pl premium - tan color- hard to get on surfaces but held, had to scrape and pull it off and it pulled the contact right off the fiberglass ( had to pressure the ensolite up for 16 hrs for this glue to work)Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1447.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	73993
The solution was there but how to hold all that ceiling up while the glue set. I decided that 4 ft by the width was all I could handle for each day. The next problem was how to pressure each section up so 4 inch foam and plywood pieces and sticks jambed into rubber flooring would work picture attachedClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1435.JPG
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	73994Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1434.JPG
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	73999The whole gluing up thing took 3 days to complete and the result was okay except small area at front where steep curve was hard to keep pressure on. It shows in one of the following pictures(will deal with that later) Of course the nice fit that I had is no more it was impossible to get it back in the exact same position as I original had it up there. so a few wood mouldings and it is done.[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1449.JPG
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	74001[/ATTACH] . I hope that I never have a issue like this again as it is costly and time and mind consuming. Hope this helps others.Ps sorry some pictures are sideways
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1448.JPG  
Old 07-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #144

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Do you had to do it over, what glue would you have started with?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #145

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
WOW what a tough job, I am impressed with the results. Thank you for telling us what does and what does not work.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:38 PM   #146

David , I don't know! I am a contact adhesive fan, the stuff is great! I think I would prime the surface and scratch up the back of the ensolite with 40 grit sandpaper. But it isn't over until its over, so can not say exactly what I would do over again, but I would lean towards the prime and sand deal. Glad it is over for now so I can go fishing again.

Tags
trillium