Prepping for Maine - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2016, 04:23 PM   #1
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Prepping for Maine

This was THE weekend. 79 and sunny both days. No mosquitoes yet, too early to mow lawn, no major house projects demanding the days. Perfect opportunity to get a jump on ParkLiner preparations for our trek to Acaidia National Park.
Vicki installed the new curtains, duvet cover, and pillowcases she made over the winter (all made "necessary" due to a killer eBay deal she got on Pendelton blankets and materials).
After helping Vic I installed a new faucet I liked better than the stock one. I then washed the PL on Saturday and gave it a good wax on Sunday.
BTW, I think it was Donna D that gave us the tip about ReJex. I don't know if you can tell from the picture but even after 2 years use it still looks like it was molded just yesterday!
So now ( in the very near future) we are all set to head from Minnesota, through the UP of Michigan, across Canada to Maine! I only hope it warms up another 10 degrees out there before we arrive!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:09 PM   #2

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Are you going to go see the Old Sow whirlpool and her piglets near Deer Island? It's the largest fixed whirlpool in the western hemisphere. Have fun. Remember the old swimmer's trick for staving off hypothermia if it gets cold- a thin layer of petroleum jelly on the entire body except scalp, and warm socks and hot. This trick had me running around the Len Foote Hike Inn at Amicola Falls SP GA in late November a couple years back in a t shirt and shorts while even the Northerners were bundled up in down and fleece. Enjoy your trip.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:10 PM   #3

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
hat, not hot, (but a hot hat would probably help)
Old 04-17-2016, 07:37 PM   #4

Name: Pat
Trailer: Parkliner
Michigan
Hey Sid, how about pictures of your newly decorated inside....
Pat in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:40 PM   #5
Sid

Wisconsin
Mitzi,
Thanks for the tip on old sow. Vicki is researching it as we speak. I think it's on the list!
I think I might just throw in a jacket and skip the petroleum jelly!!!
Sid
Old 04-18-2016, 08:57 AM   #6

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
If you decide to visit the crowded, congested Bar Harbor area do not try to do it with your travel trailer in tow....roads way too narrow ....leave your trailer at campground.
While in northern coastal Maine be sure to visit the FDR Estate on Campobello Island...access is by bridge in Lubec, Maine (bring passport as the bridge connects to Island which is in New Brunswick, Canada.) The FDR Estate is a special park maintained by the Canadain and U.S. park service as a joint venture. Admission and tours of the homes is all free !!!

Campobello Island is a great spot to do some whale watching.
When in Maine be sure to eat LOBSTERS daily.
In the summer months even McDonalds adds Lobster Rolls to their menu.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:56 AM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Heading through Michigan's UP and then across Canada to Maine ? The trip over the north shore of Superior is well worth the run. Excellent 'Tranny-Canady' highway #17, and absolutely the very best lake-side scenery. We lived/worked there for 35 years, before retirement. PM me for details.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:47 PM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We went up route 1 from the NH line to the US border last June. Stayed one night in Acadia , 2 nights at Lamoine State park, and 1 night at Cobscook State park. No reservations. Lots of Lobster .

We travelled Canada 17 in August from just west of Ottawa to u.p. Michigan. Very relaxing especially compared to I 90. The campgrounds were about $40 ca. Safe travels, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:15 PM   #9

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
I live in Maine

I'm not directly on your route but depending on how you chose to leave the state feel free to look me up in Norridgewock, on Rt 2 and spend the night in my driveway!

Jaye
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:39 PM   #10
Sid

Wisconsin
Patrick, Dave, and Raz
Thanks for the advice and suggestions! Looks like we have more research to do, good thing the next few days will be rainy and cool. When we went to the Grand Canyon last year it we the advice we got from fellow members that brought to our attention places and sights we would have otherwise missed! Again thank you.
Jayne, thank you for your generous offer, I will let you know if our travels get us in your neck of the woods.
Pat, as soon as I get caught up on a few things I will post a couple of pics.
Sid
Old 04-20-2016, 03:33 AM   #11
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
One other thought. If you travel in n.e. VT, northern NH or northern Maine, watch out for moose. The warning signs you will see along the road are not an exaggeration. They are most active from dusk until dawn. Drive slow and you'll be fine. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:30 PM   #12

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Sid, if you're coming across on I90, then taking the Mass Turnpike (how we go to ME), we're a short hop from the exit above it on I87 (Ravena/Selkirk). Got plenty of property, power and a couple showers here if you want to stop by, or need an overnight break. Weekends are best, but any day is okay. We're still workin stiffs!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:10 PM   #13

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Camden Hills SP is one of the 3 state parks in Maine that has electricity at its sites.
The town of Camden is lovely and worth a walk downtown. The is also a terrific museum not far from Camden, called Owl's Head....WELL worth the visit if you enjoy seeing trains/planes/cars (it's a transportation museum). I was very pleasantly surprised.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:20 PM   #14

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Not all the sites at Camden Hills have electric. We were there last year and did have electric and a nice site. Just as you come into the campground there is the road on the left that goes to the top of Mount Battie. Great views from up there. One day we went across the road to that part of the park and sat overlooking the water. Watched a lobster boat checking his traps, then a plane flew by which I recognized as a WW2 B25 bomber. It was at the air show at Owls Head, so we went down there for awhile and talked to a guy with an old camper van and another guy that likes vintage campers but his wife won't let him have one. Just down the road from Camden Hills within walking distance is a great little food place, walk up window, eat outside. I can't remember the name, but real good food. Then we went back towards Owls Head area to a little private campground that looks like it hasn't changed since the 50's, called Lobster Buoy.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:45 PM   #15

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Sid
Don't know when your trip is but I am driving through Acadia too in the next few weeks.
I am doing work in NE Harbor on the backside of Acadia and will be there for a week or two too!
I am also not sure about my dates for being there but who knows we might run into each other?

Make sure you get up Cadillac to see the sunrise at least once,it is something not to be missed when there!

There are also a crazy number of Whales to be spotted around Bar Harbor and the drive from there to NE Harbor features both The Road Less Traveled AND The Long and Winding Road,great photo ops for this back home!

There is also an amazing Thai restaurant in Elsworth which is the last town before Mount Desert and Acadia that if you like Thai is worth the stop,it is the dumpy looking one connected to the crappy Hotel not the nicer looking one across town where the food is not as good!

Anyway the area is pretty amazing and the Water incredable.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:28 AM   #16
Sid

Wisconsin
Wow, so much to see and do! Five days in Maine might not be enough. Thanks again everyone. We have already adjusted and readjusted our visit based on your recommendations. I love fiberglass networking! It defiantly reduces the shoulda, coulda, wooda momoments after every trip.
Frank, as we are arriving via Montreal I do not believe we will cross paths this trip.
Ed, If I see a Casita or a Fiber Stream in the park I will stop by. Please do the same if you see a ParkLiner!
Sid
Old 04-23-2016, 07:12 AM   #17

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
One other thought. If you travel in n.e. VT, northern NH or northern Maine, watch out for moose. The warning signs you will see along the road are not an exaggeration. They are most active from dusk until dawn. Drive slow and you'll be fine. Raz
There are 2 or 3 years in this region, I had to honk for a deer comes off my road, he looked at me stupidly get his way.
About 2 miles away, a moose eat simply at 50 feet from the road.
There are also wild turkeys we often crossed on the roads and highways. Once we had to completely stop and go slowly not hit, there were ten, they were pecking, whatever, on the edge of the highway.

Believe me, these are good reasons not to speed and take the time to watch the beautiful landscapes of this region.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:23 PM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner
Pennsylvania
Sid: We are headed that way in mid-July, so keep your eyes open!
Capn Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner