Flip Bigfoot axle? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2015, 10:19 PM   #1

Name: Eleanor
Trailer: Bigfoot TT
California
Flip Bigfoot axle?

We had our (new for us) 17 foot 1996 Gaucho Bigfoot axle flipped (It has a U shaped axle) so that the hitch would not be so low to the ground. There is a whistle like noise coming from both sides near the wheels after we hit 25MPH.

Please let me know if you have flipped an axle or considered this. Is it advisable? Have you ever encountered a problem like this?

We also had new brake linings and the bearings repacked and the tires replaced at the same time.

I appreciate anyone taking the time to advise or share experiences regarding this.

Thank you

Eleanor
eryork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:15 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
When you say "u shape" I suspect you mean drop axle. Most likely your trailer came with a 4" drop axle.

I replaced my original 4" drop axle with a straight axle and am very happy. If you remounted a 4" drop axle under the springs you raise the trailer body and frame but the ground clearance (distance from pavement to the bottom of the axle tube) remains exactly the same.

My objective was to get more ground clearance for use when boondocking.
I can't explain the whistling noise. hope this helps.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:48 AM   #3

California
Thank you very much. Where did you get your straight axle?
Old 09-19-2015, 02:25 PM   #4

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
axle pics...

I bought a 97 couple of years ago.....what was under there most probably wasn't stock....I broke a spring last fall...then put a new set of springs on (beefier, extra leaf)....here's some pics...maybe..(posting pics is problematic today for some reason)

Click image for larger version

Name:	bent.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	88901

Name:	springs1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	88902

Name:	springs6.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	88903

Name:	springs7.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	88904
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 02:31 PM   #5

British Columbia
Registry
now that I look at 'em....

maybe that was the stock configuration....(not much was done to this trailer at all so it would make some sense).....looks like a drop axle (unflipped)...but don't have a lot of experience/knowledge about axles on BFs
Old 09-19-2015, 03:25 PM   #6

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
maybe that was the stock configuration....(not much was done to this trailer at all so it would make some sense).....looks like a drop axle (unflipped)...but don't have a lot of experience/knowledge about axles on BFs
These photos show a drop axle that has been mounted under the leaf springs (some times called "flipped" but more correct terminology is "underslung") and it was probably changed after it left the factory. This modification would raise the frame and body but ground clearance would stay exactly the same.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:32 PM   #7

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by eryork View Post
Thank you very much. Where did you get your straight axle?
I bought the axle at Six Robbles, a local Dexter dealer. They had it in stock. You should have a Dexter dealer in your area. Check the Dexter website for the closes one to you. Six Robbles had lots of axles in stock and they sell to RV repair shops, trailer builders etc.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:43 PM   #8

British Columbia
Registry
got it....

thanks Jack.....man! it must have rode low when it came out of the factory then....

yeah I can see the ground clearance of the axle would be exactly the same....the hitch and rear bumper would be a little higher though (less grounding of back end in a compression/grade change
Old 09-20-2015, 01:40 PM   #9

California
Jack L and Franswa
Thank you so much. I went under it yesterday and found that the axle was not "flipped
over" I found the axle is attached to the lower side of the leaf springs. "underslung" as you said. Makes more sense now. .
This should prevent grounding at the front and back.
Are there any problems I should be aware of with this modification to my Bigfoot 17,
Old 09-20-2015, 02:14 PM   #10

Washington
If you have problems with the axle tube hitting things, then you would want to change to a straight axle and mount it above the springs. That would give more ground clearance while keeping the trailer and frame about the same height. Many Bigfoot 17 trailer owners have chosen this modification. I did not notice any problems when I did mine and I also changed to 225-75-15 tires which gives me another 1inch plus ground clearance.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:25 PM   #11

California
Axle

Thank you again. Elleanor
Old 09-22-2015, 01:47 PM   #12

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Out Lil'Bigfoot is a 13.5', but it definitely grounds out over a grade change, like the roll curb in our driveway (and elsewhere). We're getting some pretty impressive scrape marks in our concrete from the "casters" back there.

If flipping the axle doesn't do anything to change the frame height, is there any other option/adjustment (short of a new frame) that would ease this problem?

(I think towing with the tongue down would help a lot, but that's probably not the optimal solution!)
Old 09-22-2015, 02:16 PM   #13

Washington
Ellpea, your trailer has a torsion axle so 'flipping' is not an option. A new axle with spacers would raise the trailer body and frame but not the axle itself. Another option would be bigger wheels and tires if you have clearance.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:31 PM   #14

CA
Jack, we don't seem to have a problem with the axle, it is the back of the trailer... there are metal casters (rollers) there that protect the rear of the trailer from damage. THOSE are the things that constantly drag on an uneven surface; it would be great if we could manage a bit more clearance for that problem.

So, bigger wheels would (obviously) help, but a new axle with "spacers" would also be a solution?
Old 09-22-2015, 04:38 PM   #15

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Jack, we don't seem to have a problem with the axle, it is the back of the trailer... there are metal casters (rollers) there that protect the rear of the trailer from damage. THOSE are the things that constantly drag on an uneven surface; it would be great if we could manage a bit more clearance for that problem.

So, bigger wheels would (obviously) help, but a new axle with "spacers" would also be a solution?
Torsion axles do wear out and the trailer "drops" with the loss of torsion. Adding spacers to a new axle or your existing axle if it's still good would raise the frame and body and eliminate the need for the casters you have. Your ground clearance (distance from pavement to axle tube) would be the same. You might be able to get torsion axles with longer arms too.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:08 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Azur
Trailer: 1980 Burro, 1973 Trillium 1300, 1977 Surfside 14',1975 Boler 13'
Washington
Registry
I just bought 2 flexiride axles that have adjustable angle of the torsion axle. I will post how they roll once I get them on. Especially excited to add them to the boler with the low clearance.
Azurko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:11 PM   #17

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Torsion axles do wear out and the trailer "drops" with the loss of torsion. Adding spacers to a new axle or your existing axle if it's still good would raise the frame and body and eliminate the need for the casters you have. Your ground clearance (distance from pavement to axle tube) would be the same. You might be able to get torsion axles with longer arms too.
As far as we can tell, the trailer hasn't dropped at all. The wheel is still in perfect position in the wheel well.

To add spacers to the existing axle, I suppose we'd have to lift the trailer off of the frame? I think that's a doable thing, but I still have no idea where the screws are that hold the trailer to the frame (and I'd really like to inspect those).
Old 09-26-2015, 05:15 PM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
To add spacers to the existing axle, I suppose we'd have to lift the trailer off of the frame? I think that's a doable thing, but I still have no idea where the screws are that hold the trailer to the frame (and I'd really like to inspect those).
LP, if your axle is bolted on it's easy. You don't unbolt the shell from the frame. Jack the whole trailer off the ground, unbolt the axle, add the spacer and bolt the axle back on. I used the 3" lift kit from Orbital Machine Works. Very nicely built too. Took me about 3 hours to do it by myself.
My axle was good, I just needed more ground clearance because of where I go.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:33 PM   #19

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
LP, if your axle is bolted on it's easy. You don't unbolt the shell from the frame. Jack the whole trailer off the ground, unbolt the axle, add the spacer and bolt the axle back on. I used the 3" lift kit from Orbital Machine Works. Very nicely built too. Took me about 3 hours to do it by myself.
My axle was good, I just needed more ground clearance because of where I go.
So, the procedure would be to jack up the entire frame, support it front and back with crossbar/beam things, and support those with something solid (not jacks) and THEN undo the axle? That doesn't sound too bad.

COULD we inspect the screws holding the body on while we're at it?

And would this also be the procedure to inspect or service the brakes? Hubby has looked under there and says the wiring is a "rat's nest," so he will be addressing that very soon.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:28 AM   #20

Name: Bob
Trailer: bigfoot
British Columbia
I'm planning to flip the axle on my 79/1600, it has the 4 inch drop axle.
Will I have to have the axle bent to put the hump up instead of down.
How did this work out for anyone that has done it. I intend to use the trailer off road a lot, so looking for maximum ground clearance under the tanks and axle.
blacklab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, bigfoot