Flip Bigfoot axle? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2016, 09:46 AM   #21

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I don't know of anyone that has done this, but it might put too much strain in the axle where the tube is welded to the spindle. I'm guessing Dexter would say no but that would be the safe answer. I saw a "stickey" that was really high off the ground when I was in Moab but unfortunately I could not get a close up look at it. Is your drop axle mounted above the springs. Were you planning on mounting it below the springs and flipping it also? You would raise your trailer 4 inches with a straight axle and if you mounted the straight axle under the springs you would lift the trailer 8 inches but still have the same ground clearance. With 225-75-15 tires you would pick up another inch. Lots of possibilities here.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:01 AM   #22

Name: Bob
Trailer: bigfoot
British Columbia
I plan to mount the springs under, with new perches and turn the brakes over. I'm debating a new straight axle, if I can swap the bake drums etc. on to the new axle. I plan to put some 235 75 15 tires on it. I mounted these with the stock setup and they actually fit fine. I've taken the fender skirts off, so that won't be an issue. Thanks for the help.
blacklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:42 AM   #23

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I can't answer brake swap questions, but I also went with a Dexter straight axle on my Bigfoot. I'm in Moab now, and though I haven't taken it anywhere crazy yet, based on where I have been, I think it's got plenty of clearance for me. And I still have the 14" wheels. It's sprung under.

I'll let you know if I run into anything that I don't have enough clearance for.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:11 PM   #24

Montana
I think for me, the clearance with a straight axle, sprung under, is perfect. I did drag the front and back end of mine through a deep dip on the way to my current campsite, but luckily it was all soft sand.

At first I thought "well maybe I could use another inch or two lift" but after thinking a little more on it, I think the limits of my trailer clearance are just right. I really have no business pulling a trailer down roads any crazier than the one I'm currently on.

Though when these tires wear out, I'll probably upgrade to 15" wheels and then I'll have a pretty easy choice of another inch lift with new tires.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:53 PM   #25

Montana
Not sure what you mean by rough roads, but after spending some time in the desert with my Bigfoot, I'll say that even with good clearance, it's not the best desert rig. I mean I guess any trailer is not great, but the width of the Bigfoot could be a problem.

It wasn't a problem for me, this time, but my early (smaller) Tacoma fits perfect on the smaller desert and forest two-track roads, like any Nissan, Jeep, Chevy S10, Ford Ranger type truck would. The Bigfoot is wider than my truck, both the wheels and the body. So it's riding the very outside edges of the roads I'm driving down.

It didn't matter on this trip, but I could see it mattering in some other areas. I also see myself not using it if I want to get down crazier roads. I'm not too good for sleeping in the back of my truck, or a tent
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0430.JPG   IMG_0431.JPG  

Old 04-20-2016, 08:36 PM   #26

Name: Bob
Trailer: bigfoot
British Columbia
Big foot axle flip

I used the stock axle with the springs over. The shackles look to be longer than what I would think the stock ones were.
I now have 235 75 15s on it with lots of clearance.
blacklab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, bigfoot