Oliver is Back!? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #61

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
IDK, maybe they serve more than one purpose
edit: I see steve replied above.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #62
Commercial Member

Trailer: Oliver Legacy
They are for the center walk way of the yoke and they do keep the holding tanks in place from sliding around. I will see if I can locate some pictures with the tanks installed.
Thanks for asking
Robert Partee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #63

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
This photo is of one of the original 17 foot Oliver's during construction taken in January 2008. It shows the square aluminum tube between the fresh water tank (left) and the grey tank (right) that makes an "L" shape around the fresh tank. At this point the lower outside hull is being roughed out. The two rear electric jacks are in place as is the water heater and the wiring is in the process of being bundled and routed. The corrugated hose attached to the fresh tank is the fill overflow. The shiny aluminum plate at the rear is the support for the spare tire.
Attached Thumbnails
pro1.jpg  
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #64

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I love the mechanic pics of these FG's.
I'm more interested in that than the finished product
pics although we have to have them too.........LOL
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #65

Name: Steve
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 17
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes, according to the both factory specs, the Escape is 3060# and the Oliver is 4005# for almost identical sized units.
The difference will be in the double hull construction and all of the extras that are built into the Oliver.
hellsbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #66

Name: Bill
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Maryland
Indeed the double super insulated hulls are attractive but a little heavier. We'll be opting for the warmest trailer we can find and I the Oliver may be it.
eugarps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #67

Florida
I just read on the Oliver Trailer Facebook site that the new 22' Oliver has a dry weight of 3700 pounds. My fully loaded 17' Oliver has a wet weight of about 3800 pounds.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #68

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
How do they define dry? Is it no appliances, no leveling jacks (3 of them), no battery, no solar, no kingdome, no roof AC or spare tire ETC? Single or dual pane windows? Some sticky Manuf's state it this way. Makes it hard for the consumer to figure out when we assume it's just liquids Thanks in advance.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #69

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
How do they define dry? Is it no appliances, no leveling jacks (3 of them), no battery, no solar, no kingdome, no roof AC or spare tire ETC? Single or dual pane windows? Some sticky Manuf's state it this way. Thanks in advance.

Water on board, grey/black tanks in use or full versus dry no water........

Some add propane to that mix...
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #70

Registry
Our 17 footer weighed in at about 3660 ready to travel, but we had a Yamaha 3000 sitting on the tongue
Old 10-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #71

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellsbay View Post
I just read on the Oliver Trailer Facebook site that the new 22' Oliver has a dry weight of 3700 pounds. My fully loaded 17' Oliver has a wet weight of about 3800 pounds.
What was your dry weight so we can calculate the difference?
Old 10-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #72

Florida
Quote:
What was your dry weight so we can calculate the difference?
Why do you need to calculate the difference? You don't even own one of these. They are not even making them any more, although I have heard that they will be back in production next year. They have a 5200# axel and I am pretty sure that unless you are carrying rocks, like Lucy, you won't exceed that. They are only making the 22' Oliver.

Personally, I would like to know the dry weight of my Oliver. There are some discussions on other forums that mention 3450#'s for the loaded out Elite. I think the only way to get an accurate weight at this point would be for an owner to weigh the trailer with empty tanks and then subtract the 6 gal. of water in the water heater.

The basic rule for towing is to subtract 20% from the maximum vehicle towing weight. That is the safe weight that you can tow and control. Of course, this is just a suggestion. If you are thinking about buying a trailer, you would be wise to use this rule. A lot of people ignore this rule when towing because they have never had a bad experience and want to have the biggest trailer that they can physically tow.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #73

Pennsylvania
Registry
It was a simple question for a simple reason, others would be able to calculate what increase a trailer, such as an Oliver may have in going from factory dry to wet in use. If you do not have the answer then so be it!
Old 10-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #74

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I thought the dry weight excludes, not only propane and water, but options, batteries, etc. etc.
So, the dry weight would be whatever the manufacturer could get on a stripped model - the lower, the better.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #75

Florida
Quote:
It was a simple question for a simple reason, others would be able to calculate what increase a trailer, such as an Oliver may have in going from factory dry to wet in use. If you do not have the answer then so be it!
Since they no longer make the Oliver 17, why don't you answer the simple question that you are asking with the dry weight and gross weight from your own trailer, which is very much in production?
Old 10-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #76

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I thought the dry weight excludes, not only propane and water, but options, batteries, etc. etc.
So, the dry weight would be whatever the manufacturer could get on a stripped model - the lower, the better.
The manufacturers listed dry weight for the Oliver is exactly that, 2400 pounds for the 17 Oliver, which is no longer in production.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #77

Pennsylvania
Registry
All I was asking Steve was the amount off your sticker on your 17' Oliver, which is the dry weight from the factory, with options. Then simple math will result with the answer. No liquids, no water, just the yellow sticker. I'm not concerned with the manufacturer's weight, which is without options. There is a 1400 lb difference, some of which is Oliver and the balance personal items and liquids.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #78

Florida
Quote:
All I was asking Steve was the amount off your sticker on your 17' Oliver, which is the dry weight from the factory, with options. Then simple math will result with the answer. No liquids, no water, just the yellow sticker. I'm not concerned with the manufacturer's weight, which is without options. There is a 1400 lb difference, some of which is Oliver and the balance personal items and liquids.
Sorry Jim, I looked and could not find that info on my Oliver. Maybe I just don't know where to look. I know my AS had that info on a plaque.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #79

Pennsylvania
Registry
Maybe your registration, if not, thanks for trying.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #80

Registry
The day that the new owners of our Oliver 17 came to pick it up and after I had removed all of our personal gear, he and I took it to some scales here in town to weigh it. I figured that would be the only time it would ever be that empty. About the time that we pulled onto the scales I got a call telling me a old and dear friend's son was found dead. I did not write the numbers down. However, the new owner did and I have sent him a message requesting that info. Hopefully I will have it today. I will post it as soon as I know.

My opinion may differ from others on exactly what "dry" weight really is. To me it is the trailer as delivered from the factory without any water or personal gear. Anything else is moot as this is the minimum weight that I will be pulling around no matter what anyone else's weighs. I realize that this limits the usefulness of the number since it will only apply to that one trailer. But I'm pretty sure no two Olivers were exactly alike and very much doubt any two of the other brands are either.

Tags
oliver