New EggCampers - First Hand Info - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2019, 11:08 PM   #21

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I did not know that Olivers have been in business that long? I remember back in 2014 when Jim Oliver looked at my new Escape and asked me about what I liked and did not like. He had Robert Partee bring a prototype Oliver to the Townsend Rally but Jim was in a large motor home.
Jim you should have known. You met myself and Tali in 2008 and saw our first Oliver Elite hull # 026 in Townsend. The rally you’re thinking about was in 2013 not 2014. There never were any prototypes. We bought the very first Elite II hull # 050 in 2014.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:44 AM   #22

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I knew it was around there, I had my 2014 E21 but I had my 2012 E19 in 2013, I thought they looked at my new model E21? Geesh, too many Escapes and too many rallies....
Old 08-04-2019, 07:16 AM   #23

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
The biggest thing EggCamper needs to do is figure out the air conditioning. The 5000btu unit is pathetic. Any sun in the high 80’s and it’s not keeping up. I still haven’t fixed mine yet but need to. Cutting fiberglass, adding support, wider drip tray, it’s a huge modification! Spend $50 more and put in a 8000btu from the factory!

And that stupid mini vent fan! Why put a 4” fan in a 14” opening? Put in a Maxfan with rain protection! I did that and it was a huge plus.
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:53 AM   #24

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2006 EggCamper #35
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe & Cherie View Post
The biggest thing EggCamper needs to do is figure out the air conditioning... And that stupid mini vent fan! Why put a 4” fan in a 14” opening?
Hi Joe,

Kim and I were impressed at the upgrades our seller had done to the Egg including a roof mounting of Dometic A/C, a bathroom door, and an upgraded vent. We will need the higher powered A/C in Florida.

I enjoyed going through your journal of mods. We look forward to making this Egg our own - pick up next week.

Sandy
Old 08-04-2019, 10:24 AM   #25

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
That’s awesome! Enjoy the Egg I’m sure you will love it! I hope my pics were useful. I’d love to see pictures of the roof mounted A/C if you get a chance.
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:40 AM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I LOVE my EggCamper. I have spent 255 nights in my EggCamper in the last seven years. As a female solo traveller still working full-time, I mostly use my EggCamper as a mobile hotel room trying to see as much of this country as I can in the free time I have.

I have stayed in federal, state, county and city parks as well as small rv parks and giant rv parks. I love to use my own shower and bathroom, sleep in my own bed and watch the local news in the communities I am visiting on my small tv.

I have the Honda generator that I have used on three trips. Twice for the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta and once for the 50th Fiberglass RV Anniversary gathering in Canada.

I totally agree with Joe that the air conditioner and the fan are the only real big issues with the EggCamper. Maybe because they were built in the northern part of the US they did not realize how big an issue heat and humidity are to the rest of us.

I also would love to provide feedback to the new owners if there was a way to do that.
Ms. Gayle 2012-IA,MO,NE,WY,MT,UT,NM,AZ,TX/2013-AR,LA,AL, FL,GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,KS,CO/2014-IL,MO,MN,MI,WI IA/2015-SD,IA,MO,OK,TX/2016-AR,MS,FL,MO,IN,VA,NC,TN/2017-KS,CO,UT,AR,MS,FL/2018-IL,IN,SD,MN,Canada,IA, OK,TX,NM/2019-OK,TX,AR,NE,SD/2020-AR
Ms. Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:54 AM   #27

Name: Todd
Trailer: coleman pop up
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
I agree, I don't really use propane in the camper. I have a 12V fridge that rides in and is powered by the vehicle, and a battery pack that also charges from the vehicle for powering my CPAP. I cook outside. There is a propane stove in the camper but I have never used it. The camper is really just a sleeping chamber, life is outside.

Yes, but I would expand "sleeping chamber" to "shelter", in that in addition to a sleeping chamber it provides shelter from bad weather and storage for gear.
Todd A C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:59 AM   #28

Name: Todd
Trailer: coleman pop up
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I recommend a pup tent and an old Sears catalogue.

Unfortunately, the sleeping, storage, and shelter provided by a pup tent will not cut it when camping with my wife.

On the other hand, when I am backpacking, my tent, mattress, sleeping bag, kitchen, clothes, pack, and all other gear adds up to 13 lbs. However accomplishing that requires 21st century gear, not what's available from Sears.
Todd A C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:38 AM   #29

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd A C View Post
Unfortunately, the sleeping, storage, and shelter provided by a pup tent will not cut it when camping with my wife.

On the other hand, when I am backpacking, my tent, mattress, sleeping bag, kitchen, clothes, pack, and all other gear adds up to 13 lbs. However accomplishing that requires 21st century gear, not what's available from Sears.

I thought Glenn was talking about a pup tent and catalog for a separate place to use the potty. NOT for the entire camping system.

WE have a pop-up, self-standing "privacy tent" we can put up outside Peanut, a zippered door on it and some places to put a roll or two of catalog substitute TP. It works fine some of the time. Otherwise, we use privacy "curtains" inside, made from colorful beach towels.

Hope everything comes out all right.

"K"
Old 08-07-2019, 11:59 AM   #30

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I wouldn't buy any trailer that has not been in business for 10 plus years. Looks like a good way to loose money, don't get sucked in by what you hear and see, there are Casita's, Scamps and other trailers that have stood the test of time, spend your money on a sure thing. Remember Lil Snoozy looked good and you can see where there are today, a lot of people lost thousand of dollars on a promise.

trainman
The majority of all businesses that fail do so because of a lack of capital. Mistakes always occur, but without enough capital even minor mistakes can be fatal to a business.

A huge problem arises when businesses fund production with deposits. If a trailer manufacturer can build trailers using their own resources and leave deposits in escrow so that buyers are protected, then I would have no problem buying from a builder that hasn't been in business long.

A manufacturer that funds trailer builds with deposits from other buyers is a pyramid scammer, and when the pyramid collapse people are guaranteed to lose money.

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:06 PM   #31

Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
I thought Glenn was talking about a pup tent and catalog for a separate place to use the potty. NOT for the entire camping system. "K"
I camped in pup tents when I was a boy scout, but we only slept in them. At my age and present condition I surely do not bend in enough places to use one for pretty much anything anymore.

I also did not think Glenn was suggesting the catalog was for reading or shopping. ... and a small shovel would be a necessary thing to have as well. Catalogs are not good for wildlife.

Harold
Old 08-07-2019, 01:15 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I was just following the previous post and taking it to it's logical extreme.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:33 PM   #33

Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Old 08-07-2019, 07:06 PM   #34

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Aha! You admit to being an extremist!
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:20 PM   #35

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
I was just following the previous post and taking it to it's [sic] logical extreme.
For the sake of symmetry, perhaps we should take the opposing position to its logical extreme...
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prevost.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	130906
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prevost Interior.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	130907

Now that we have the extremes clearly identified, we can all rest easier knowing the best answer lies somewhere between a pup tent and a Prevost.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:37 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Now that we have the extremes clearly identified, we can all rest easier knowing the best answer for the OP lies somewhere between a pup tent and a 45' fifth wheel.

I know, I know!

A pup tent with granite counters!
Old 08-07-2019, 08:49 PM   #37

Redding, California
Registry
For those whose tow vehicle (such as a Prius) won't take a 5th-wheel, perhaps this will work for them (a weight-distribution hitch would be highly recommended).

Attached Thumbnails
airstream.jpg  
Old 08-07-2019, 10:28 PM   #38

Name: Garland
Trailer: EggCamper
Alabama
EggCamper Air Conditioner

The 5000btu air conditioner that came with my eggcamper is very sufficient to cool the trailer with one 50 cent modification. Make a shroud that throws the air up instead of out. Remember that cold air falls. I did this using an old white political sign, cutting it and velcroing it to the upper front of the air conditioner. We live and mainly camp in the hot humid South. We have stayed in the trailer with outside temps are between 90 and 100 degrees many times while the inside stays nice and cool. Agree that the vent fan that came on the eggcamper is pathetic. Problem solved by replacing with a Vortec fan-around $70 on Amazon. Easy replacement of old fan as it fits in the vent just as old fan did with no cutting-about a 30 minute job.Vortec fan is variable speed and can pull air in or push it out. I am 6’5” and love my eggcamper. We have taken several cross country trips in it with no issues.
G.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:52 AM   #39

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
For the sake of symmetry, perhaps we should take the opposing position to its logical extreme...
Attachment 130906
Attachment 130907

Now that we have the extremes clearly identified, we can all rest easier knowing the best answer lies somewhere between a pup tent and a Prevost.
We found the Prevost to be a tad cramped, so stayed with our old Casita.
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:41 AM   #40

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
More popout slides! Slides on the slides!!!
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper