AZ 2007 Oliver Legacy Elite with Solar $37,500 - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #61

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I've found that my lack of taste for fine things has saved me a fortune over the years.
ROFL yup I tend to use that excuse for not owning some of the fine things in life myself!
Old 11-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #62

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There is one very important point some people fail to mention, both Mercedes and Hyundai are still in business, Oliver is not. Maybe that point needs to be addressed while discussing the merits of a defunct company's product.
Believe it has been address. Simple take a look at another fiberglass trailer manufacture that is no longer in biz such as Boler - look at what the trailers sold for new and what they are selling for at 30 years of age or older. They often go for $7000 to $9000. I dont know about you but that pretty well address it for me.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #63

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Believe it has been address. Simple take a look at another fiberglass trailer manufacture that is no longer in biz such as Boler - look at what the trailers sold for new and what they are selling for at 30 years of age or older. They often go for $7000 to $9000. I dont know about you but that pretty well address it for me.
Comparing Boler collectors to the market for a used present-day trailer is apples/oranges.

I think Boler made a name for itself by being one of the first molded trailers- there's a certain cachet there for afficionados. There's also the appeal/track record of something that actually lasted for thirty years.

Maybe in thirty years this 2007 Oliver will be worth proportionally more than new, too!

Francesca
Old 11-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #64

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Jim, I thought the OP stated that some degree of warranty service was available from the jacuzzi maker? As I see it, the central questions are precisely two: the initial price to play and the eventual possible delay in seeing it go away even if you postulate that depreciation will NEVER be a factor. A "willing" buyer w/ 37K to burn is not quite the same as 5000 buyers with the yen to tow but not the yen to buy looking at the "shells" on CL. 10 to 1 a trailer at this price point needs a gilt-edged broker to shill it in gilt-edged precincts. It hasn't sold here; the Technomadia bloggers didn't sell it; how long will it set before we say You can snooze all you want; it'll still be there."?

jack
Old 11-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #65

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
As has been stated before, the asking price does not represent the value of a product. It is the selling price (i.e. what is someone willing to pay for it) that will establish how much this Oliver is worth. It has apparently not sold yet. The actual value may eventually be established significantly lower than what is being sought.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Old 11-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #66

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
As has been stated before, the asking price does not represent the value of a product. It is the selling price (i.e. what is someone willing to pay for it) that will establish how much this Oliver is worth.
Your soooo right on that! A liken the selling of this particular trailer a little bit like selling a unique high end home, boat or vacation property. As the seller you need to be patient and wait for that one buyer who decides they just got to have it due to its uniqueness ...... no time/patients to wait for the right buyer or someone else puts another just like it on the market for less, then you will no doubt need to drop the price.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #67

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Or, you can sell it on Ebay and let the market determine the selling price.....waiting years to sell something does not necessarily tell you what it is worth, because as times goes by there are fewer of items and scarcity now plays into the value, but for something relatively new, a auction should determine value pretty accurately, IMHO.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #68

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I recall a column in a boating magazine where the author recounted trying to sell his boat for a reasonable price. He had no offers, so he took it off the market for a couple of months, raised the price by $10,000 and sold it immediately.
I applied the same logic to my 1987 Subaru and it worked. I suspect all those who called and then never showed up thought it must be junk at that price.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #69

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Cherie and Chris have talked to the owners face to face, and have posted in the past. They are a diversified company very away from being "defunct".
Old 11-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #70

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Cherie and Chris have talked to the owners face to face, and have posted in the past. They are a diversified company very away from being "defunct".
Jim and Evon are still providing support to Oliver owners, I don't see that going away anytime soon. They were in the fiberglass products business before they started the trailer business and they're still humming along with their other fiberglass talents.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #71

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Good point and the reason why they stopped the trailer part of the business was posted by people who have actually talked to them face to face at the time, it's in the archives or on the Oliver forum. No need to speculate on the reason why.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #72

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I recall a column in a boating magazine where the author recounted trying to sell his boat for a reasonable price. He had no offers, so he took it off the market for a couple of months, raised the price by $10,000 and sold it immediately.
People do that with homes in Vancouver all the time. Its not all the unusual to see a house of the market for six weeks and then taken off due to lack of intreast. When its put back on the market again six months later its more often than not sells for a hundred thousand & often way more than it was on the market for the first time. I personally dont agree that putting something on EBay or up on public auction is a rock solid way of determining an items true value. Auction prices depend to much on who happens to be looking for that item at that single point in time. Have attended a number of auctions where items went for far less than what one might have expected and for what ever reason the seller was so sure they would get more for it they failed to put a reserve on it. The smart seller of higher priced items will always put a reserve on the item for that simple reason.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #73

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy I think we scared them away

BUGZ
7 posts total, all in this thread between October 3 and October 6, 2012
Last Activity: October 10, 2012 at 11:23 PM

I can only conclude that they recognized that this was not their target market.

Tags
oliver, solar