What do I need to tow a Casita with a Nissan Frontier? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-10-2015, 08:48 PM   #21

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
My Casita is going to be delivered in about 3 weeks, so I am trying to get ready. I have purchased a wide assortment of things. I got a P2 Prodigy controller, and an adapter for my Nissan Frontier, but I took it to a mechanic to install it, and he said I already had a built in brake controller.

My Casita invoice said I need a Class 3 hitch with a 2" ball, and the top of the ball has to be 20" off the ground. I measured the ground to the top of the hitch receiver, and it was 17.5 inches. So with a 2" ball, it would be 19.5 inches. It sounds like I need a Class 3 hitch with 2" ball and "3/4 rise", like this one:

Amazon.com: Rigid Class III 2" Ball Mount Kit Loaded with 2" Ball - 3/4" Rise: Automotive

Does that sound correct?

Should I get an adjustable hitch, in case my truck breaks down, and I have to switch TV? Or I need to tow something else? Like this one:

Robot Check
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:34 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoot View Post
My Casita is going to be delivered in about 3 weeks, so I am trying to get ready. I have purchased a wide assortment of things. I got a P2 Prodigy controller, and an adapter for my Nissan Frontier, but I took it to a mechanic to install it, and he said I already had a built in brake controller.

]
Did he actually say you have a built in "brake controller" or that the plug & wiring for the brake controller is already there - which it is. I did not think Nissan offers a built in break controller. The plug for the brake controller is located right under the dash by the steering column. A white plastic connection that the adapter you purchased for the P2 just pushes into.

Could be wrong though - check your manual to see if it has any info regarding a built in break controller.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:38 PM   #23

Name: Tim
Trailer: Casita
Nebraska
You measured to the top of the receiver, but that won't be the height of the mounting point of the ball because it will have drop (or rise flipped over). Keep in mind, the trailer will cause the rear of your truck to drop a bit when you hook it up. Stingers an balls aren't too expensive and you might be able to get one to try at a local store. You could return it for the more correct one if it doesn't work out. In my experience, the hitch is better a little low than too high. Keep within an inch.
Burtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:47 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:

My Casita invoice said I need a Class 3 hitch with a 2" ball, and the top of the ball has to be 20" off the ground. I measured the ground to the top of the hitch receiver, and it was 17.5 inches. So with a 2" ball, it would be 19.5 inches. It sounds like I need a Class 3 hitch with 2" ball and "3/4 rise", like this one:
[/url]
I would not get a riser. Just go with a straight bar to start with as 3/4" is not much to be short by & remember that the back of the truck will drop a little when you hook the trailer up to it. Always a better tow to have the tongue sitting lower than sitting to high.

You may find you end up wanting/needing something with a 1 or 2" drop for a solid tow.

I actually use a 4" drop on my Nissan Frontier with the PROx package with my Scamp 16 which only has a tongue weight of 250lbs loaded. Its an older trailer so the axle is sitting lower than your new trailer will be though. But I have found the tow to be more stable the more weight you put on the tongue though so the back of the truck will drop a bit.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:54 PM   #25

Registry
Just did a Google and it looks like Nissan is offering a built in controller on the Titan now - so maybe they are on the new Fronters as well.

Do you have something that looks like this on your dash?
Attached Thumbnails
6a00d83451b3c669e201b8d0c70ee9970c.jpg  
Old 06-10-2015, 11:50 PM   #26

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Just did a Google and it looks like Nissan is offering a built in controller on the Titan now - so maybe they are on the new Fronters as well.

Do you have something that looks like this on your dash?
I will check in the morning. I think I am going to have call the Nissan dealership and give them my VIN, so they can tell me what was installed, and what exactly was included in the "tow package". On the clubfrontier website, people have the tow-package, but still had to use a 3rd party brake controller.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:50 AM   #27

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Amazon.com: Rigid Class III 2" Ball Mount Kit Loaded with 2" Ball - 3/4" Rise: Automotive
Does that sound correct?
Should I get an adjustable hitch, in case my truck breaks down, and I have to switch TV? Or I need to tow something else?
It sure sounds to me that your measurements are going to fine for your trailer, level or a bit down at the hitch. Don't buy anything until you actually have it hitched up so you can eyeball how it sits. Any stats you're reading are pretty much guesswork because every tow vehicle will have a different ride height and there is no sense in buying stingers by guessing. They do make hitch balls with a one inch higher base to gain a little more height if you need it. Hitches are pretty much standard to 2,4 and 6 inch drops or rises. To answer your last question, I have different stingers for different trailers I have but use the same tug. If I need to tow something for somebody else, use what is close. Actually, in 50 years I think I've only had to do that three times. Don't over think it, it's not rocket science.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:25 AM   #28

Registry
Quote:
I will check in the morning. I think I am going to have call the Nissan dealership and give them my VIN, so they can tell me what was installed, and what exactly was included in the "tow package". On the clubfrontier website, people have the tow-package, but still had to use a 3rd party brake controller.
If it does have a built in brake controller one would expect the controls to be visible and reachable right from the drivers seat. There will also be info on how to use it in your owners manual.

I have a hunch the mechanic you took it to was trying to save you some money by having you simple plug in the controller you purchased yourself to the pre installed brake controller wiring already on the truck.

If you go to E-Trailer Tekonsha Plug-in wiring adapter for Electric Brake controller there is a video towards the bottom that shows/explains how to plug the controller in yourself. If I am not mistaken your controller should also have come with instructions for install.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:23 PM   #29

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
sweet
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:37 PM   #30

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
They sell these if you just need a little lift

Or this one
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:14 PM   #31

Name: Vicki
Trailer: Scamp 13, 2015 Nissan Frontier SE
Connecticut
Hi Woot,
I have a 2015 Frontier SE and the prodigy brake controller was easily mounted with an adapter my trailer guy sold me. I let him do the drilling and mount it because he offered and I was there. But it would have been pretty easy to do myself. There was no brake controller included with the tow package for my truck, at least.

As for the stinger, I got one with a 4 inch drop for my 13 foot Scamp. Scamp says you need an 18" height with your ball mount. That's what got me there. With that, I am dead level without the bed or Scamp filled up all the way. But with a Casita with higher tongue weight, things will be different for you, so best to try to wait and borrow one until you figure it out, like others have said. If you are "pretty close" to level, but a little high, you can probably tow it home a few miles from your friends' house if it's not highway driving. You don't want to tow it if it is too low though.

Sounds like things are coming together. Good luck!
VicCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicCT View Post
Hi Woot,
I have a 2015 Frontier SE and the prodigy brake controller was easily mounted with an adapter my trailer guy sold me. I let him do the drilling and mount it because he offered and I was there. But it would have been pretty easy to do myself. !
I choose not to drill anything and simple used some heavy duty velcro to mount mine to the right of the steering column and between the radio and the bottom tray ahead of the shifter. Been good for two years so far.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:09 PM   #33

Iowa
I examined my truck today, and I do not believe it has a controller.

It has a removable panel beneath the ignition, which looks like something could be mounted there - but there is nothing there:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1600a.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	85179

I saw a connector under the dash, I think that is where the Prodigy controller would go:

Name:	IMG_1601a.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	85180

There looked like there might be another smaller connector under there:

Name:	IMG_1602a.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	85181

Again, is there any reason I should not just get an adjustable hitch? It would seem like it would definitely work, on my Casita and anything else I wanted to tow. Like this one:

CURT 45900 Channel-Style Adjuastable Dual Ball Mount

Name:	adjustable.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	85182

?
Old 06-11-2015, 09:43 PM   #34

Registry
The large white multi pin plug in the second photo is your trucks computer - the mechanics plug into that to get a reading off any error messages.

In the 3rd photo you can see two smaller white plug ins. One only has one white wiring coming off of it and that is not it either! The larger square plug in the photo with multiple wires connected to it looks to me to be that it may be the match for the connection the end of the controllers harness - is it not?

No reason you can't use an adjustable ball mount just not easy to add an anti sway bar if you plan on using one.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:48 PM   #35

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
No reason you can't use an adjustable ball mount just not easy to add an anti sway bar if you plan on using one.
Ah, that makes sense. Does anyone know where I can get the anti sway adapter? I ordered my Casita with that option, but they said that since they are delivering it to me, I will have to get a 3rd party adapter. Normally they would weld it on. So I need a hitch, a ball, and an anti-sway adapter.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:56 PM   #36

Registry
See post #11 for a link to one that does not need to be welded and can be moved over to any receiver you need to use in the future. Works well.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:56 AM   #37

Name: Vicki
Trailer: Scamp 13, 2015 Nissan Frontier SE
Connecticut
Not sure I would go with an adjustable ball mount. Just seems like moving parts are not what I would want for that. And really, you can add a sway bar after you get the rest set up - - you wouldn't need it just to tow it home from your friends' house. I don't use one at all and never felt the need for it, but then again I have a 13 footer, not a 17.

Why not find a local trailer place you can visit and talk to them. They may lend you a ball mount that is your best guess as to what you would need. Then you can tow the trailer there and they can help you get set up with the best one for your truck and trailer. It's good to build a relationship with a good local trailer place anyway - - you will need them at some point. Due to physical restrictions I am not as much of a DIY-er as I used to be. I have a local trailer shop that does a great job for me at a fair price. When I call, I know they will fit me in ASAP and I don't have to worry about anything. Worth its weight in gold.
VicCT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita