13' Scamp - Covering with Calmark - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2017, 08:16 AM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp - Gently Used
Kentucky
13' Scamp - Covering with Calmark

We have a 13' Scamp that we cover with a Calmark cover when not in use.

I have yet to figure out a way to actually get the cover over the scamp efficiently, without having to invoke the names of various deities in an insulting manor. If anyone has any methods or protips for getting the cover over the top of the scamp including the fan, AC unit and an antenna, I would gladly appreciate it. It seems like it shouldn’t be this hard. Bonus points for it being a one man job method, because this little chore can be very taxing on the marriage

Thanks and safe holidays.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:00 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Calmark's FAQ page says:
If you cannot walk on top, give us a call. We will guide you through a couple of other easy methods of installation.
So maybe ask them the same question... thats all the advice I can come up with since I decide the cons outweighed the pros when I was thinking of getting a cover.

Contact CalMark Cover Co. for any questions on your custom RV Cover
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:06 AM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Scott,
When we lived in IL, we had a Calmark cover and used it for a couple of winters. It was alway a job to install. My wife and I found it easiest if we opened it up, loosely fan folded, and laid it on top of the spare tire. We would then grab the cover at each rear corner and pull it up and over toward the front of the trailer. We used sticks (broom handles) and a 6' ladder to lift it over the A/C and awning or other projections. After the front and top were in place, pull the rear section over the spare tire, and tie it down.

You will want to pad any sharp areas to prevent abrasion from buffeting winds. I used the split foam pipe insulation on the drip molding over the door, and placed a padded rubbermaid box between the A/C unit and the awning to aid in water and snow run-off. In addition to the rope and straps at the bottom, I found it useful to tie a line around the cover at the belly band. To keep it centered; I ran the rope on top of the belly band in the back, then crossed it to just below the band in the front. That kept the line centered, and prevented the whole cover from billowing out and buffeting our Scamp's finish.

IMHO you bought the best cover made for your Scamp. It's worth a little hassle, and will be easier each time you install it. Hope this helps.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:51 AM   #4

Kentucky
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Calmark's FAQ page says:
If you cannot walk on top, give us a call. We will guide you through a couple of other easy methods of installation.
So maybe ask them the same question... thats all the advice I can come up with since I decide the cons outweighed the pros when I was thinking of getting a cover.

Contact CalMark Cover Co. for any questions on your custom RV Cover
Great Advice...thank you
Old 12-22-2017, 10:52 AM   #5

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Scott,
It's worth a little hassle, and will be easier each time you install it. Hope this helps.

Tom
Thank you so much...
Old 12-28-2017, 01:59 PM   #6

Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Try driving under a bridge while your partner drops the cover. With practice you will avoid the Tow Vehicle windshield. -Not good.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:05 PM   #7

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Try driving under a bridge while your partner drops the cover. With practice you will avoid the Tow Vehicle windshield. -Not good.
I think I might keep looking around for another method...
Old 12-28-2017, 07:34 PM   #8

Name: Jim
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Alabama
Calmark Cover on 13'

Scott,

When I take the cover off the Scamp, I stretch it out on the driveway with the "outside" up. Fold the two sides over the center & toss the straps into the center. Then, working from the front, roll up the cover until you reach the back of the door opening. Then, from the rear, roll up the cover until it meets the part you rolled up from the front. (this is harder to describe then to actually do!)

You end up with a bundle you can tuck under one arm. When you're ready to recover the trailer, climb a step ladder beside the Scamp and put the bundle on top of the roof. Roll the "front" part forward and the "rear" part backwards. Now that it's over the top, you can pull down the sides and make any minor adjustments.

Jim
jallen256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:12 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen256 View Post
Scott,

When I take the cover off the Scamp, I stretch it out on the driveway with the "outside" up. Fold the two sides over the center & toss the straps into the center. Then, working from the front, roll up the cover until you reach the back of the door opening. Then, from the rear, roll up the cover until it meets the part you rolled up from the front. (this is harder to describe then to actually do!)

You end up with a bundle you can tuck under one arm. When you're ready to recover the trailer, climb a step ladder beside the Scamp and put the bundle on top of the roof. Roll the "front" part forward and the "rear" part backwards. Now that it's over the top, you can pull down the sides and make any minor adjustments.

Jim
Good idea Jim. That sounds even easier than the way we did it. We moved and keep her in a garage now, but if we still had the 13 and the cover, I'd try it your way.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:29 AM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Scott, put the bundle on top of the roof. Roll the "front" part forward and the "rear" part backwards. Now that it's over the top, you can pull down the sides and make any minor adjustments.
Jim
Wow Jim, I've been doing it this way for years with a car cover, just rolling it up inside out....never even thought to give Scott the tip for his TT, the forest and tree thing again . Good post Jim .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:18 AM   #11

Kentucky
Quote:

When I take the cover off the Scamp, I stretch it out on the driveway with the "outside" up. Fold the two sides over the center & toss the straps into the center. Then, working from the front, roll up the cover until you reach the back of the door opening.
I feel like this is the right answer. We will try this next time we move it which should be in the next week or so.

Thanks for the time Jim,

Scott.

Tags
scamp