Cows prefer Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2009, 12:58 AM   #1

Trailer: 1991 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Cows 1
Casita 0
I just moved my 91 SD to a 1000ac deer lease in the Texas Hill Country and the ranchers 80+ cows found it to be very tasty to say the least. They chewed up EVERY plastic piece that was on the outside. I now have a very streamlined Casita, as I have no side marker lights,no tail lights, no water fill port,no drain spigot, no battery vent cover, and no rubber propane lines! Thank goodness they did not get the main power cord or the hitch connector plug. They were nice enough to leave me .002" of wire sticking through the hull with which to rewire new running lights(after I fence in the Casita). The odd thing is that they did not touch the '98 Thor 28ft fiberglass panel stickie, or the 1960's "canned ham" parked on either side of me, they went straight for my Casita. To add insult to injury, what they could not chew up they licked all over(note:from what I have seen on my windows, cow slobber may be a superior sealant to silicone).
Anyway......I now find myself in the market for all new running lights, and I have decided that I'm going all L.E.D. I would appreciate any recommendations or opinions on exterior L.E.D lights(brands,costs,performance,installation,etc.) and also on availability of metal replacements for drain spigots, water fill ports,battery vent covers etc. if such metal items exist. Anyone ever heard of braided propane lines? Now theres a mod I bet no one has.....

The drought here in my neck of the woods is on record as one of the worst in the last half century, and I'm sure that they were pretty hungry, but if the perpetrators try this again after repairs, better ice down the beer Bubba 'cause I will be hosting the worlds largest ribeye and fajita cookout and everyones invited!
Scott,H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:28 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
OH gosh! I've heard of horses chewing everything in sight... but cows? That's a new one on me. An Airstream parts place may be able to help you with metal vent covers etc. Or perhaps a marine supply place. I have no idea about costs. Have you considered putting something really nasty tasting on these areas? Since it appears you don't have to worry about rain (sorry), perhaps something really, really hot tasting or wolf urine... that's available as an animal repellent (online.. check Google)

BTW: The propane lines in my Scamp are 100% copper... right to the regulator.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:57 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
I just did a search on the web and yes they are made, I would get the stainless braided hose.

Bill K

Quote:
Anyone ever heard of braided propane lines? Now theres a mod I bet no one has.....
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:51 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita
I had a similar thing happen in deer camp to our Casita. Cows seem to have entirely to much time!!
wrdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:09 AM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry

I will no longer lament about how my puppy is in her destructive chewing stage. She ate the cats kennel, but yours takes the cake!

Sorry that happened!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:27 AM   #6

I actually had a long range plan of replacing the lights, but it was a looong range plan and now the cows have hastened that schedule. Anyone out there with recommendations or opinions on exterior L.E.D running lights? Also for people that have replaced these lights,is it necessary to seal these against the body of the trailer? Maybe some butyl tape?

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American
Registry
Quote:
I actually had a long range plan of replacing the lights, but it was a looong range plan and now the cows have hastened that schedule. Anyone out there with recommendations or opinions on exterior L.E.D running lights? Also for people that have replaced these lights,is it necessary to seal these against the body of the trailer? Maybe some butyl tape?

Thanks.
I purchased all of my LED lights at a Peterbuilt dealership. I have seen them at Tractor Supplies stores and at other outlets. You may want to try E bay stores as I paid about $10.00 each (USD)
for the clearance lights.
Marty
Marty Smiltneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:34 PM   #8

Marty,

Now that's what I'm looking for! There's an idea I never would have thought about, going to a big truck dealership. I have a Freightliner dealer about 10 miles from me here in Austin, I will check them out. Did you do anything to seal the lights to the body, or just wire and pop rivit and go? Thanks for the info!
Old 07-31-2009, 01:16 AM   #9

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
Back to the issue of the cattle chewing on the Casita but not the other trailers -- It sounds like your original idea of the Casita tasting salty might be right. The slobber on the windows is a definite clue.

Has the rancher provided the cattle with a salt/mineral block? If not, they may be trying to correct a mineral deficiency.

Cattle do not normally chew on plastic or rubber. Good thing, too, because it's not good for them.

Before replacing the marker lights, hoses, and etc., try a setting out a mineral block and see if the cattle chew on it instead of your Casita. If they still like your Casita better I would set up an electric fence around it. A solar-powered one costs under $200 new, and includes a battery that will run it for a month if the sun doesn't shine.
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:18 AM   #10

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 16 ft
Sorry to hear about your cow problem, Scott! After reading your post, I'm glad that I decided to go with a Scamp! When I was looking for a FGRV, I was looking at both Scamp and Casita. I like them both a lot, it was pretty much a toss up and I went for the Scamp. I live in the midst of acres and acres of cow pasture, and my Scamp is parked next to the fence. I must say that I haven't caught them even glancing at it, let alone nibbling on it!

Seriously, though... I am sorry to hear about that! Sounds like you are keeping your sense of humor about it all!
Diane G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:33 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Did you do anything to seal the lights to the body, or just wire and pop rivit and go? Thanks for the info!
Yes Scott. Anytime you have a through hole in the hull you need to seal it. Butyl is a good choice, a good one in fact because although it can "permanently" seal the lights to the body, it remains flexible enough to be able to remove the light if you need to change something... like a bulb.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:01 AM   #12

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / Infiniti SUV
Quote:
I just moved my 91 SD to a 1000ac deer lease in the Texas Hill Country
Just wait until hunting season and up in the hunting blind there are a couple of drunk hunters (SOP for TX hunting blinds), throwing corn chum out to try to get that albino deer to come a little closer. (Long before this, the rancher has moved his cows to safer territory.)

Bang! Bang! You now have a super-air-conditioned trailer!

And I hope your beer ain't Lone Star!
George Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:33 PM   #13

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro
I purchased my LED light kit including wiring, front markers, and turn/brake lights from etrailer. I think that the entire set runs about $60. I like the lights because they are super bright even in the daytime. When I hit the brakes at night, they really light up. The rear markers are on the side of the brake lights.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:22 AM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
have you given any thought to making hamburger before you repair the camper? ought to self cure that way
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #15

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I sure hope those cows got a good belly ache!
Sorry for your problems, who would have ever thought they would do such a thing.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Just wait until hunting season and up in the hunting blind there are a couple of drunk hunters (SOP for TX hunting blinds), throwing corn chum out to try to get that albino deer to come a little closer. (Long before this, the rancher has moved his cows to safer territory.)

Bang! Bang! You now have a super-air-conditioned trailer!

And I hope your beer ain't Lone Star!
George, We have been know to have a few "Stars" around the fire, but truth be told we support 'ol Pete from Golden Co. more than anyone. No worries on getting a bullet riddled Casita, we use stick and string down here, and no one hunts the neighboring ranches around us.

Tags
casita