Casita body style - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-20-2011, 08:12 AM   #1

Trailer: 1978 13 ft Boler and 1984 19 ft Scamp 5th Wheel
Casita body style

Howdy fellow egg lovers, I have a question about Casita trailers. We saw a 16 or 17 footer recently that had (to me anyway) an unusual feature. The rear portion of the camper had a higher ground clearance than the front portion. Is this a feature of an older Casita floor plan? It looked like a 5th wheel in reverse, on a very small scale. Anybody know what's up with that?
Laura Lundgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:19 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Freedom Deluxe 1998
Laura,

That is one of the identifying features of a 16 foot Casita (regardless of year). The floor steps up a few inches at the rear dinette.

Bret.
Bret Tresidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1993 Surburban
Registry
I've thought about building an aluminum box down there to store lawn chairs , pie irons, and such.
Jim Hovind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
I have pieced my observations together for this conclusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Lundgren View Post
The rear portion of the camper had a higher ground clearance than the front portion... Anybody know what's up with that?
It is a vestige of the earlier design that Casita inherited from it's predecessors, Scamp and Boler, that no longer makes sense but would be not be cost effective for Casita to change for the lower production numbers of their 13' and 16' trailers at this late date.

In the beginning, Boler used a design trick that allowed at least partial stand-up headroom in a trailer short enough to fit in a standard garage. The small 1960's Scotty Sportsman trailers of the aluminum variety pioneered it; a drop floor in front of the axle. What many mistake for a step up to the rear dinette is in fact a step down from the dinette to the center of the kitchen. This is more visible when a frame-off restoration is done, since the bottom of the shell hides this on the outside.
Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=boler.jpg Views: 31 Size: 70.9 KB ID: 41483" style="margin: 2px" /> Click image for larger version

Name:	Frame Off.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	41482

First Boler, and Later Scamp used this feature with an exposed wood floor. Casita came along and decided that their improvement would be to enclose the floor in fiberglass, molded into the lower half of the body. Casita did away with the drop floor, and made their frames all on one level raising the kitchen floor, but kept what is now an unnecessary step up to the rear dinette.

Casita Travel Trailers - Our Showroom | The Patriot, Spirit Deluxe, Freedom Deluxe, Liberty Deluxe | Call 800-442-9986

They changed this for the totally redesigned 17' Spirit/Freedom/Liberty but didn't think it was necessary to change the 13' Patriot or the 16' Spirit/Freedom/Liberty that was basically just lengthened.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
When I first read the thread title, it made me think of people who might be said to have a "Casita body style".... nicely rounded... like maybe Burl Ives.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:52 AM   #6

Name: BARNEY
Trailer: CASITA
Georgia
The step up at the rear area is 6" on my '89 casita
barney cone ii
BARNEYCONE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita