Does Anyone Remember a "Casita 18"? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2017, 09:32 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Does Anyone Remember a "Casita 18"?

I keep thinking I read of someone adding a foot to the frame of their Casita and dubbing it a "Casita 18". I think it was done to add some storage up forward on the A-frame.

Does anyone else remember this? Or should I just lay off the spicy foods after 9:00 here so I don't have these crazy dreams.

I've keep pondering how to organize and stow several large items as the Audi is one of those vehicles where they left off a foot or two of the storage space behind the axles. I hate playing "go fish" every time I want to remove or store some larger items that currently take up premium space inside the tow vehicle. I think they could all ride outside
  • A pop-up canopy (9x9x52)
  • A folding table (24x48x3)
  • Small duffel of "tow gear", ball wrench, chocks, Andersen leveler, ball mount, gloves, bungie cords, etc.
  • And I forget what else at present...
I am also looking at acquiring a pair of bicycles, perhaps folding or maybe "mini velo" style. The folding bikes I looked at in a local shop today ran about 60" in total length when unfolded.

Basically I am considering the vehicle roof rack, the current or an extended Aframe, and potentially moving the spare under the trailer behind the axle; I'd like to put any and/or all of those spaces to better use. I'd like to limit any roof rack loads to something reasonably aerodynamic, which nixes the bikes going up there. I have thought of building a "torpedo" to carry the canopy up there.

There are several threads on the Casita forums where folks moved the spare underneath and posted nice sets of pictures. I also enjoyed a fairly recent thread here with pictures of Floyd's trailer with two bikes racked high on the Aframe over the LP cylinder and battery. It's a very well-thought and nicely executed arrangement.

So, was there actually a Casita 18? Or should I just lay off the late-night snacks?

Any other thoughts or ideas? Thanks in advance!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:37 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You could get a utility trailer for all that stuff.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:01 AM   #3

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You could get a utility trailer for all that stuff.
Aw, gee Glenn, then I'd be limited to only traveling in states where I could double-tow.

Maybe I should just paint the Casita red and make a London double-decker out of it!!!

Floyd's setup is posted here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-73658.html

Old 01-12-2017, 06:24 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
A Casita 17' already has a lot of tongue weight. By adding length to the tongue and changing the fulcrum, you will now be adding a whole LOT more tongue weight. Never mind all the stuff you want to carry there. What is the maximum tongue weight your tug can carry? This might end up being a very bad idea.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:45 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Perfect Casita AKA Orbital Machine Works I think at one time built a Casita tongue extension and there was a thread somewhere about it. It is not currently listed on the Perfect Casita site that I can find.
Eddie
http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/..._1#entry179074
https://www.flickr.com/photos/104805...57646213132118
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:08 AM   #6

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
A Casita 17' already has a lot of tongue weight. By adding length to the tongue and changing the fulcrum, you will now be adding a whole LOT more tongue weight. Never mind all the stuff you want to carry there. What is the maximum tongue weight your tug can carry? This might end up being a very bad idea.
Donna, I was banking on you to remember if there was such a beast as the Casita 18 as you are one of the folks who always seem to have such a great recall! If you don't remember it, then I know I really do need to lay off the late night snacks here.

Extending the Aframe on a trailer would be like extending the handles on a wheelbarrow. The wheels are the fulcrum. The load on the coupler would be reduced just as the weight on your hands and arms benefit from the leverage provided by the wheelbarrow's long handles.

At least until I started loading all that "stuff" onto all my new real estate up on the Aframe...

My last measured hitch weight was 410 out of 440 lbs capacity. Everything has been working well to date, but the ultimate effect of re-configuring and moving things around is definitely foremost on my mind. I've been building a spreadsheet, which always puts me in my happy place.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:33 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Donna, I was banking on you to remember if there was such a beast as the Casita 18 as you are one of the folks who always seem to have such a great recall! If you don't remember it, then I know I really do need to lay off the late night snacks here.
I've been looking, but so far a bust. Everything has been about adding a longer receiver hitch or an extension to the receiver hitch. Not saying it's not here somewhere, I'm just not hitting the right search words I guess.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #8

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Perfect Casita AKA Orbital Machine Works I think at one time built a Casita tongue extension and there was a thread somewhere about it. It is not currently listed on the Perfect Casita site that I can find.
Eddie
http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/..._1#entry179074
https://www.flickr.com/photos/104805...57646213132118
Eddie,

Thanks for the links! I may be crazy, but at least not about this one thing.

And, did you see all that toilet paper stacked on the hitch platform on the Flickr site? Just think, my trailer could be like a rolling cash machine of mountain money!
Attached Thumbnails
018 or-generator-storage_14969100505_o-r.jpg  

Old 01-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
There never has been, nor is there any plan for, an 18' Casita model.

In fact, they have even curtailed production of their 13' Patriot models to open up shop floor space in order to ramp up production on their backlog of their highly successful 17' models.

As to adding storage space, rather than putting it on top or on the front of the Casita, I added a storage space on the rear. It does require the installation of a 2" receiver tube to the rear of the trailer, but Orbital Machine Works makes a pre-fab bolt-on frame mount one so it is a relatively painless installation.

Casita 17' models have long been known to be a bit "tongue heavy", so the rear box and everything in it doesn't have any affect on handling characteristics of the trailer. On 13' and 16' models, this may not be true, as their tow hitch is closer to the fulcrum of the axle, making them less tongue heavy than the 17' models. I stand on it, (along with all the stuff I carry in it,) to wash the back portion of the roof. Even with my 240 lbs plus the box and contents, my neighbor (also a big guy) still couldn't lift the front hitch off the ground, and he's very strong.

As an added benefit, if one should have a fire onboard and would need to get out, it would be a lot easier to just slide open the rear window and kick out the screen, (which even a 2 year old could do,) and slide out the large rear window onto the box. That "emergency exit window" is not my first choice since it sits about 5 feet off the ground, is much smaller and there is nothing to land on except the ground 5 feet below. I'd be going out the rear if I had to. I'm too old to want to use the other one.

Casita Hitch Receiver

https://www.stowaway2.com/standard-cargo-box-black (also available in white)
https://www.stowaway2.com/fixed-hitch-frame
Attached Thumbnails
small_IMG_0004.jpg   IMG_0003_4 (Small).JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:09 PM   #10

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post

As to adding storage space, rather than putting it on top, or on the front of, the Casita, I added a storage space on the rear. It does require the installation of a 2" receiver tube to the rear of the trailer, but Orbital Machine Works pre-fabs a bolt-on frame mount one so it is a relatively painless installation.
Greg,

Yes, I have bookmarked your setup. It's been in my "good ideas to steal" folder for some time now.

But, bolt-on? I have nothing against OMW, in fact their stuff looks great. But, I am just 15 minutes from the tideflats here where all those craftsmen love these kinds of challenges. And, if they don't love them, they do them right anyway because that's just who they are.

I have also been saving up to buy some beer hoping that you might put your welding skills to work for me.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
tongue extension

I visited the guys at Orbital a year or two ago and Jim showed me the extension they were working on but guess it never really panned out. I thought it was a great idea and may have to engineer one for myself at some later date. I did get their rear hitch and Larry Gamble put it,the lift kit and shocks on for me. What a difference it all makes.
JMHO.

Mike
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #12

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
It looks like there are a lot of posts here and elsewhere regarding lengthening fiberglass trailers. They can be found by searching for "tongue lengthening" and similar terms.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-39156.html

Hmmm, maybe "tongue lengthening" is not such a good idea for me.

My posts already seem to go on and on and on forever...

Old 01-12-2017, 12:32 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
A previous owner of my Campster extended the tongue by 2 feet to make room for a spare, battery and toolbox. It appears like a professional job.

Being a Casita owner in the past, I can't imagine extending the tongue. We had a custom hitch welded to the Casita for bicycles. With the bikes loaded, our tongue weight was 10% of the overall travel weight. Based on our experience, I think the rear storage is more practical and cost effective but watch your weight.

1970 Trails West Campster
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Getting a longer tongue

Uhmm..

This appears to be one way.......

How to Get a Longer Tongue: 8 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:31 PM   #15

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
OMW has/had a tongue extender. Call them to order.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:37 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
A longer front frame would help with towing stability and easier backing.
More hitch weight can be handled with booster shocks.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:49 PM   #17

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
A longer front frame would help with towing stability and easier backing.
More hitch weight can be handled with booster shocks.
I have never found any instability while towing, nor is the tongue weight in any way excessive, since I tow with a pickup truck that is capable of quite a bit more. I do however have space limitations as to where I park my trailer. Even an additional 3" would screw up my ability to park where I do, so an extended tongue wouldn't work in my particular case. I also don't park with my Stow-Away box on the trailer either, again for the same reason.

If one has more room available, then it would probably be "doable."
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:08 PM   #18

Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Casita something or other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
I keep thinking I read of someone adding a foot to the frame of their Casita and dubbing it a "Casita 18". I think it was done to add some storage up forward on the A-frame.

Does anyone else remember this? Or should I just lay off the spicy foods after 9:00 here so I don't have these crazy dreams.

I've keep pondering how to organize and stow several large items as the Audi is one of those vehicles where they left off a foot or two of the storage space behind the axles. I hate playing "go fish" every time I want to remove or store some larger items that currently take up premium space inside the tow vehicle. I think they could all ride outside
  • A pop-up canopy (9x9x52)
  • A folding table (24x48x3)
  • Small duffel of "tow gear", ball wrench, chocks, Andersen leveler, ball mount, gloves, bungie cords, etc.
  • And I forget what else at present...
I am also looking at acquiring a pair of bicycles, perhaps folding or maybe "mini velo" style. The folding bikes I looked at in a local shop today ran about 60" in total length when unfolded.

Basically I am considering the vehicle roof rack, the current or an extended Aframe, and potentially moving the spare under the trailer behind the axle; I'd like to put any and/or all of those spaces to better use. I'd like to limit any roof rack loads to something reasonably aerodynamic, which nixes the bikes going up there. I have thought of building a "torpedo" to carry the canopy up there.

There are several threads on the Casita forums where folks moved the spare underneath and posted nice sets of pictures. I also enjoyed a fairly recent thread here with pictures of Floyd's trailer with two bikes racked high on the Aframe over the LP cylinder and battery. It's a very well-thought and nicely executed arrangement.

So, was there actually a Casita 18? Or should I just lay off the late-night snacks?

Any other thoughts or ideas? Thanks in advance!
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Civilguy Mike
I don't know what you wrote. I was distracted by the best 'tag line' I have ever seem..brilliant !!
" "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did, not terrified and screaming like his passengers."

Mike in NS
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:07 PM   #19

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_mike View Post
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Civilguy Mike
I don't know what you wrote. I was distracted by the best 'tag line' I have ever seem..brilliant !!
" "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did, not terrified and screaming like his passengers."

Mike in NS
Oh, that's probably because somebody much cleverer than me came up with it.

I've seen a couple of different attributions on the web, so I didn't credit it.

Tags
casita