Question for Bigfoot owners - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2017, 11:18 AM   #21

Name: Dan
Trailer: Bigfoot 30th Anv. 25B25FB
Washington
I have a 2008 Bigfoot 25FB that I purchased and towed home from northern California last October. It is 8' 4" wide. I also have a 14' Aluminum cargo trailer with a 2' extra V nose that is 7' wide.

The only real difference I notice is that I need to extend the factory mirrors on my 2002 Ford Excursion to see down either side of the Bigfoot while traveling. On the cargo, I do not. The only other thing which was mentioned above is when the unit being towed is longer you need to be generous on your turns, otherwise you'll scrape your wheels and or tires.

I think once you're actually in route for a short period you adjust to whatever you are towing, both size, width and weight. Having a tow vehicle that exceeds you needs makes everyting else much more pleasurable.
Attached Thumbnails
08BF38.jpg   EZHauler1.jpg  

Wacenturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:45 PM   #22

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
*' wide is nothing just think about the size of tractor and trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWelch View Post
A question for those of you who own Bigfoot travel trailers (or any that are 8' wide). I would love the width inside the travel trailer, but wonder how difficult it may be to pull. I googled to see the width of a traffic lane on a regular highway, and they start at 9'. I am wondering if I would have trouble keeping it in the lane. . . and how (if) the width would create a problem on the little secondary roads I want to take. . .

Thanks for all the help,
Tonie
: going down the road they are same width and most lanes are 12' or wider.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:17 PM   #23

Name: Ken
Trailer: Bigfoot 24B175CB
Michigan
I am also considering a used Big Foot 17.5 coming from a Casita SD 17 with a Toyota Highlander, 3.3L V6 tow vehicle with the max capacity of 3,500 lbs. and 350 tongue weight. Does anyone know what year that the weight of the BF 17.5 increased to the current model weight?

Also, the only drawback to the BF 17.5 for me is the size of the beds. Is there a way to modify a bed to be closer to a regular full size bed, approx. 54" X 70"?

Thanks,

Ken
msu1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:44 PM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by msu1966 View Post
I am also considering a used Big Foot 17.5 coming from a Casita SD 17 with a Toyota Highlander, 3.3L V6 tow vehicle with the max capacity of 3,500 lbs. and 350 tongue weight. Does anyone know what year that the weight of the BF 17.5 increased to the current model weight?

Also, the only drawback to the BF 17.5 for me is the size of the beds. Is there a way to modify a bed to be closer to a regular full size bed, approx. 54" X 70"?
I think the 15B17 became the 25B17.5 in about 2005 or 2006 and got heavier due to the standard four-season upgrades.

Here's a gaucho mod I saw a while back. You don't really need extra width on both ends of the bed. This was an older 15B17G.

Name:   Bigfoot Mod 1.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  19.8 KB

Name:   Bigfoot Mod 2.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  18.1 KB
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:24 PM   #25

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
It can be done, but even with the older Bigfoots, you're right at the limit of your vehicle. Your engine is basically the same size as mine, but you have a shorter wheelbase and lighter vehicle, probably with smaller brakes. I would not want to tow my 17' Bigfoot with anything smaller than what I have.

98 Tacoma, 3.4L V6, 500lb tongue weight and 5,000lb tow limit. My Bigfoot is a 91, so only a 17', and though I haven't weighed it, based on other similar units I'm guessing at somewhere around 300lb tongue weight and between 3-4,000lb total tow weight, loaded.

People tow more camper with less vehicle, but I'm not one of them. What are the specs on the Casita? I know they're lighter, but not that much lighter, right? It might not be that big of a difference...
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:30 PM   #26

Montana
It's funny I always look at that picture (it's been posted a lot when this topic comes up), and think "that doesn't do any good! How much help is it really to have more room for your legs and feet but still be cramped at your shoulders and head?"

Because of course I sleep with my head against the back wall, and wouldn't think of sleeping the other way around. But there's no reason everyone else isn't doing exactly the opposite...so in that case it actually would be of some help.

Strange that the Bigfoot trailers are so much bigger than the other fiberglass units, yet have such small beds. No big deal for me, but I can understand how it would be an issue for a lot of people.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:58 PM   #27

Name: jack
Trailer: Bigfoot
Arizona
Ken,

My 2014 Bigfoot is the 17.5 FB model, for Front Bed. The front bed is 48"x74" with a beveled corner for the entry aisle. The bed could be 80" long with a mattress extension. There is no way to make it wider because it's located between the front wall and the bathroom.

The rear area is 41"x78" when the table is converted to a bed.

I love the arrangement but I travel only with my cat. She has her own 'cat cave' but that's another story.

jack
tidewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:04 PM   #28

Name: jack
Trailer: Bigfoot
Arizona
Ken,

If you check the Bigfoot website, two more 17.5 models are available in addition to the FB. The 175G (gaucho) mentioned above, and the 175CB for center bath. I believe the FB is the more recent of the offerings.

jack
tidewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:21 PM   #29

Name: Ken
Trailer: Bigfoot 24B175CB
Michigan
Thanks for all of the 'spot on' recommendations & info. Since a new(er) model is above my pay grade, I must limit my search to somewhere around a 2007 or older.

All the best,
Ken
msu1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:29 AM   #30

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.5fb
Oregon
Bigfoot 17.5 weight: We have a 2009 17.5FB (front bed) which weighs 4400 lbs loaded. We don't carry any water except the 6 gallons in the water heater. We tow with a 2008 Toyota 4Runner V6. First 6 years we used just a weight-bearing hitch but now use a Reese distributing hitch. This is better but we never had any trouble before. The 4Runner is rated for 5000lbs towing, and it works ok. Slow on steep hills, however. I added a tranny cooler. We have two adults on board plus two bikes inside, big kayak on the roof, and the usual junk in back.
Worto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:43 AM   #31

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Don't forget one important difference between towing a Casita and a Big Foot is the larger and more square frontal area. Weight is not the only thing to consider.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:13 PM   #32

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worto View Post
and the usual junk in back.
Ah yes, the proverbial "junk in the trunk"

Yeah, the Bigfoot works a bit more like towing a parachute than the egg trailers.

Tags
bigfoot