Total height of Boler trailer? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Total height of Boler trailer?

After researching more trailers, which I like to do, I found that Boler trailers are 6'-11" total height per the old spec sheets that are online. I notice that they do not have vent hatches on the roof, which might make them lower. This height is lower than any of the other types of trailers that I have found, and it means that it will fit in our condo double garage (7'-0" height) and we will not have a $69 a month storage fee at a lot. It would also keep it out of the weather and I will be able to fix it up close to home.

My question; Is the 6'-11" total height accurate? On a couple sites I saw figures of 7'-3" or 7'-2". This makes a big difference in being able to fit it in.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Quote:
My question; Is the 6'-11" total height accurate? On a couple sites I saw figures of 7'-3" or 7'-2". This makes a big difference in being able to fit it in.

Thanks for your help.

I'm working on my 72 Boler tonight. I'll measure it then.
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I haven't measured my 1974 (no garage ), but I would not be surprised if it is just under 7'

Couple of notes:

1) There is a vent hatch, and I think they were common. But the old ~9" vent hatches do not stick up much. They are also offset to the kitchen side, so you might not see them in a door-side photograph.

2) Height will vary dpending on the axle set-up. The older trailers seem to sit a bit lower, even when the axle is not "shot" (although somtimes a low axle IS shot). When axles are replaced people tend to go with more height, although you would not have to.

So I think it would depend on a given, individual Boler 13, although the older potentially the lower. Some of the late '60s Boler 13s are "flat tops" but that is rare and was only the first ones. They would be even lower.

3) To get any lower, I think you'd have to go to the Compact Jr. type "pop up" trailer.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:00 PM   #4

Registry
Thanks for the replies. Tim, that would be great if you can get the measurement.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
For what it's worth, our 2004 Scamp 13 just fits under our 7' garage door. It has the standard escape/vent hatch. I have to remove the fiberglass cover, which takes about two minutes. The axle is still in good shape, so I don't think this one is any lower than usual. At some point later than ours, they started making them a little taller. Like you, getting the Scamp into the garage was a deal-maker for us. Not only is it cheaper to store inside, but I can go out and tinker with it to my heart's delight all winter. After getting it into the garage, I put it up on wheel skates and push it into the corner so we can still get two cars in the garage.

Good luck with your search for one that fits. It's worth it!

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:55 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Danny, I'd be very, very careful about making a purchase based on any measurement given you by anyone other than the actual owner of whatever trailer you wish to buy. There are many factors to consider, age of axle, tires, different vents, etc. that you may end up purchasing a trailer thinking it's one height... when it's actually another. This is a time when inches do matter :
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:39 AM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
There are a couple of threads discussing ways to lower the trailer to get it into a garage. Some let out air, some swap to just rims just enought to lower the trailer to get it in.
While Tim is measuring his trailer, maybe you should measure your door opening Danny. Not all garages open the same. What is your exact clearance?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:12 AM   #8

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
guess what I forgot to do....

I agree with "T.O" - measure the trailer you're looking at purchasing - I'll measure mine, but mine is a 1972 - where yours could be higher - or lower than mine? It'll give you an idea - - and yes - also be good to measure your garage again...

take a look at the garage and how far you can push it up to get the trailer in. I have a boat that is 6 feet 11.5 inches - my garage door when open sits at 6 feet 10 inches - - so basically I disconnect it from my opener, and push the garage door up a bit more and use a pair of vise grips to hold the door up an exdtra 2 inches.... I also had to remove a piece of trim to get the full 7'

good luck

Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:41 AM   #9

Registry
I've measured my opening and I have a full 7'-0". I had also thought about letting some air out of the tires to get it in and out, as I have an air compressor in the garage. All the boler trailers for sale seem to be in Canada, so it's going to be difficult to know their height ahead of time. I'll have to do a lot of talking to anyone selling to make sure they have not done any modifications to tire size or axial and find out ahead of time any year changes that might affect height.

On a related topic, has anyone ever used a tow dolly. I was looking at a way to move it around the garage and did not now how well these worked with a low tounge weight.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #10

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
We have a tow dolly from Harbor Freight and it works great. We use it all the time to move the Boler around, it does take two of us. The "low" tongue weight is not a problem because the dolly ball is pretty low. Make sure the dolly tires are pumped up!
Old 04-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
After researching more trailers, which I like to do, I found that Boler trailers are 6'-11" total height per the old spec sheets that are online. I notice that they do not have vent hatches on the roof, which might make them lower.
Sorry to tell you, but, Bolers DO have roof vents. Mine sticks up about 2 inches above the roof.
Any group of trailers will have different heights. It will depend on how good your axle is and what type of tires you have on it,
My trailer now sits 2 1/2 inches higher with a new axle under it than it did with the tired old one. I have a pair of 9 inch rims with tires that I put on in the fall so that I can get the trailer into the garage with one inch of clearance IF the vent is closed. My door opening measures 7'-0" when the door is fully retracted up and blocked.
Here's a comparison between my regular wheels and the smaller ones that let me put the trailer into the garage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel_comparison_2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	19410
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:33 PM   #12

Registry
Lizbeth, thanks for the information. James, I can't read the markings on the tap measure, what is the total difference in the tire size? Where did you get the small tires? I might get a pair to so I can at least get the trailer in my garage to fix one up. The visual helps.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:54 AM   #13

The picture did come out a bit darker than I expected but you can still see that the smaller wheel is about 2/3rds the size of the larger one. I carried a wheel guage around for a long time until I found them at a yard sale. If they were still too big I was going to remove the tires ,and use the rims only, to move the trailer the short distance into the garage. Without tires you may gain another 7-8 inches of clearance but then you might scrape the frame a bit.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/files/StudCircleTemplate.pdf
Print this off and mark the apropriate wheel holes for the trailer you're looking at. The Boler standard is 4 1/2", Others may vary.
Good luck! Make the search part of the fun.
Jim
Old 04-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #14

I was out in the garage this afternoon and measured the two wheels. The regular 13" rim and tire is pretty close to 24" Diameter and the smaller 9" rim and tire is just about 15" diameter. Thus I drop the total height of the trailerby about 9" so that I can have an inch to spare when I park it in the garage for the winter. Hope this helps.
Jim
Old 04-17-2009, 06:38 PM   #15

Registry
James, thanks for measuring that. I think you only will drop 1/2 of your wheel diameter, or 4 1/2" when your using 15" rim. I tried to open your PDf but it had issues.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:44 PM   #16

Danny,
I think you are right on the drop but got the rim sizes mixed up.
Here is a better link to the PDF - don't know if it was the one James intended to post:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/files/5-...leTemplate.pdf
Old 04-17-2009, 08:45 PM   #17

Registry
Roy, that pdf worked. Thanks
Old 04-17-2009, 08:59 PM   #18

Sorry for the typo...I guess my two finger shuffle was working faster than my....
Old 04-18-2009, 07:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Sorry for the typo...I guess my two finger shuffle was working faster than my....
Only using two fingers?
Here are some hints:

Control + C = Copy
Control + V = Paste
Old 11-19-2010, 07:32 AM   #20

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Our 17' boler has 17’ boler tires st205/75r-15 and iis over 8' high plus roof vents above that?
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler