Researchers say Norm is right again! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #1
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Researchers say Norm is right again!

A new research report confirms what Norm has been telling us for years, for the most restful sleep of your life go camping!
How to reset your body clock — and get better sleep — with hiking boots and a tent - LA Times
It's science!
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:36 PM   #2

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Sid,

Thanks for posting this link. I heard about this the study listening to an RVing podcast, so I appreciate being able to followup and reading more about it.

Hey, I have always known that Norm is right about life!!!

Take care,

Dean
Old 02-13-2017, 04:57 PM   #3

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
I Norm is right then he should try that same idea with over 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
Hi Sid,

Thanks for posting this link. I heard about this the study listening to an RVing podcast, so I appreciate being able to followup and reading more about it.

Hey, I have always known that Norm is right about life!!!

Take care,

Dean
:Basically since I Left work I do not sleep well and end up reading or watching the tube, occasionally I get dressed and go for a 3-4 hour walk and this works, once I feel tired I go to sleep but for 4-6 hours only then nap during the daylight hours. Personally I think it has a lot to do with my working more years than I can count on my fingers working night shifts some of them 16 hours long.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:19 PM   #4

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
I was taking medicine for insomnia in the cradle...the only thing that works for more than a couple hours at a time is too much food, especially sugar. Exercise doesn't make me sleep, it makes me ache. Camping--my biggest trouble with camping is that I simply cannot sleep in Peanut. It took me 8 trips to start sleeping in our old GetAway Van; we have only been out in Peanut five times. Give it three more times and then we'll see. All systems have to be go...but going systems means interrupted sleep! I'd laugh, but a). it hurts, and b). laughing means more going.

8) XO ;-]

BESt
Kai
Old 02-14-2017, 04:56 PM   #5

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Kai I think Norm should of checked in with 65 and older folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
I was taking medicine for insomnia in the cradle...the only thing that works for more than a couple hours at a time is too much food, especially sugar. Exercise doesn't make me sleep, it makes me ache. Camping--my biggest trouble with camping is that I simply cannot sleep in Peanut. It took me 8 trips to start sleeping in our old GetAway Van; we have only been out in Peanut five times. Give it three more times and then we'll see. All systems have to be go...but going systems means interrupted sleep! I'd laugh, but a). it hurts, and b). laughing means more going.

8) XO ;-]

BESt
Kai
:Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:57 PM   #6

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post

8) XO ;-]

BESt
Kai
Hi Kai,

Wow, sounds tough. I have never experienced much insomnia other than when really stressed at work. I have been lucky that for decades while in school and the early part of my career that I could get by on 5 or 6 hours of sleep even less for short periods of time. For the last couple of decades I would need 6 to 6.5 hours. Now at 54, I am finding that I like around 7. Hmm.

Wishing you a good night sleep!

Dean
Old 02-15-2017, 07:50 AM   #7

Registry
Hi Dean -- thanks, that was kind! There's a book, "Insomniac" by a college prof woman, who says some of us are just naturally awake more at night (we are the natural watchmen of old). Stress sure does make sleep harder to hang on to!
Seems like in a just world we night watchers could have more time to sleep during the day, but culture is weird asking that we actually work, play, etc., while the sun is up. =-)
8) Thanks again. A good night is one where I sleep for over 3 hours at a stretch. Sometimes I have good nights!
Stude: Yes, even those over 60! Those of any age with touches of insomnia in their make-up. Norm and Ginny seem to be more comfortable and calm with their lives than some others of us, it seems. I admire that but cannot manage it. Guess I'll have to remain who I am: Sleepless in Seattle.

(And, no, of course not entirely sleepless-- that'll do you in! 8-O ! )

8) XD

BEST
Kai
Old 02-15-2017, 11:26 PM   #8

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
As I get older, mid-60s, I find continuous night-time sleep to be more elusive, yet I still have good energy during the day. I like to listen to audio-books when I wake at night. I don't have to turn on the light and can remain in a prone position. Sometimes I fall asleep while listening, but, hey, that's ok, since I want to get some shut-eye anyway. Yes, there are gaps in my story, but I really don't care.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:55 AM   #9

Registry
Jill-da-- LOL

I'd probably do better at night if our older pug didn't have to be let out several times. Bad enough I wake up for my own needs--I have to deal with hers, too.

Gaps in my story, too, and I don't care, either!

LOL.

BEST
Kaii
Old 02-17-2017, 09:47 AM   #10

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Kai have you ever tried this? The NASA Sleep Promoting Light Bulb - Hammacher Schlemmer
I've never tried melatonin supplements as they lead to my son resuming sleepwalking years after I successfully cured it with the old balloon style waterbed. But this is a natural stimulant to endogenous melatonin secretion.
My last year of high school I was involved in multiple activities, working 30 hrs week/soda jerk, volunteer manager of my church's weekend coffee house and honors courses. Slept about 3-4 hours a night and went thru a pot of coffee and a pack of NoDoze daily. It broke my health within 18 months. Never been able to function on less than 6 hrs sleep since- but it's scattered around my 2-3 wakenings every night, either for pain or potty. And yes, I noticed improved quality of sleep when camping as soon as I started camping as an adult. One reason I love camping so much, among others- I just feel so much better when outside!

DH OTOH has chronic hip/back pain that has been coming back over the last 10 years (had 3 good years after hip replacement!) He would have to crawl out of our tent and walk to reduce it a couple times every night. One of the reasons I decided it was time to buy a camper!
Old 02-18-2017, 07:48 AM   #11

Registry
Hi, Mitzi,

Haven't tried it, intriguing! We just installed reading lamps in Peanut with LED bulbs (cheap, sealed inside the lamps). Am sure they're the blue-light types. Rats!

Will seriously consider getting a NASA sleep bulb...sounds very likely to help. Thanks for the suggestion.

Due to back issues, I sit up to sleep these days...still working out the configuration in Peanut that will be "just right" for that. Getting there.

Kai

Tags
parkliner