Misguided tiny house movement effort - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2017, 07:59 AM   #1
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Misguided tiny house movement effort

I am still trying to figure out what problem these guys are trying to solve....
Check out the latest design to come out of the tiny house movement. For more money than almost every 16 foot fiberglass trailer you can get less space, lower reliability, and reduced functionality.

Check it out:
http://www.moderntinyliving.com/nugget.html
Sid
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:11 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
I am still trying to figure out what problem these guys are trying to solve....
Check out the latest design to come out of the tiny house movement. For more money than almost every 16 foot fiberglass trailer you can get less space, lower reliability, and reduced functionality.

Check it out:
Nugget - Modern Tiny Living
Sid
Maybe it appeals to the same crowd that paid $5 for a pet rock.
Looks like it might work as an ice fishing shack.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:59 AM   #3

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Typically a tiny home is more robustly built and better insulated than a camper trailer.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:15 AM   #4

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Tiny houses are aesthetically MUCH more appealing, they:

Allow complete customization of both design and layout
Can be as well built, or as cheaply built as your budget demands
Typically provide MUCH better insulation than a travel trailer
Are easier to heat/cool than travel trailers typically
Plumbing/utilities can be contained within the building, so are cold tolerant
Allow for owner building
If built by the owner, can ALWAYS be repaired by the owner
Total choice of materials for both structure, finish, and decor
Often include lofts for additional sleeping/storage space
Sense of satisfaction in building your own home

These are just a very few of the advantages, off the top of my head, of building a Tiny Home instead of living in a Travel Trailer.

Most Tiny Homes are not meant to be moved regularly as a Travel Trailer is, so it is not appropriate to compare them on this one criteria, and deem them inferior. They are designed for a different purpose, and when used for this purpose can be exceedingly superior.

I studied Tiny Homes extensively for my retirement, but have purchased a 13 foot Scamp for now - I want to travel for a few years. In the future, however, a Tiny Home may well serve me as a better choice for a more anchored home.

Warning: Do NOT get your information from the TV shows. They are to make money and gain viewers, not to present unbiased information. Kinda like learning to date by watching "The Bachelor".
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:42 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The extreme weight factor alone would make me run in the other direction, to a fiberglass trailer, muchless the type of construction to build these will not hold together well on the road at all with the vibration, bumps, etc. I just don't get it either, for the same money as a deluxe tiny home you can buy the best of the best travel trailers that are designed to pull down the road well.
David L. C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:47 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
My friend had a 20' shipping container on the Big Island. Behind the steel doors he installed a sliding glass door, installed a couple of windows, put solar on the roof and built an interior.

When he was gone, it was closed up, maintenance free, able to withstand a hurricane if needed, required no licensing, insurance or taxes, and was difficult for anyone to steal. When he got there, he would swing open the metal doors and he was home in a simple little place overlooking the sea. If he ever wanted to move, it could be picked up with a forklift and set on a flatbed or if he wanted a different view, he could push the front of it around in that direction.

It wasn't as portable as a trailer, but it was at ground level with no step, solid as a house to walk around in, had an eight foot ceiling, built with materials readily available at the big box store and generally built with higher quality systems than trailers are. The body was heavy steel and even more durable than fiberglass. He could leave it for months with no problem and yet have an instant home when he got back.

I thought it was totally cool and served a purpose very well.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:50 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Its just a group of people who are rejecting the buy, buy,buy and live the way your parents did generation. They don't want the lifetime mortgage and buying stuff you really don't need and cant afford. They realize if you want more out of life than sitting in the same place forever anchored by a big expensive home paying mortgage, utilities and property taxes like your parents did you won't be able to do as well as they did. This is cause and effect of the shrinking middle class. They have to find a way to do more with less available cash.

Sometimes the sheep escape the pen, but in the end they all get slaughtered.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:51 AM   #8

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Let's call it what it is: a tiny house is a SHED. Putting it on wheels just makes it semi-portable.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:54 AM   #9

None
Quote:
Originally Posted by David L. C. View Post
The extreme weight factor alone would make me run in the other direction, to a fiberglass trailer, muchless the type of construction to build these will not hold together well on the road at all with the vibration, bumps, etc. I just don't get it either, for the same money as a deluxe tiny home you can buy the best of the best travel trailers that are designed to pull down the road well.
They are not meant to be taken "on the road". They are meant as a small alternative to a conventional home, one that CAN be relatively easy to move when necessary.

You "don't get it" because you refuse to evaluate them on their intended use and insist on evaluating them on YOUR intended use. They are far superior as a more or less permanent, stationary home.

I don't get why people on this forum cannot see the difference and insist on denigrating another alternative that SHOULD be an ally in the move toward simplicity in our lives. It's like they feel threatened.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:55 AM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
They don't have to be heavy or particularly expensive. Some guys like to build things or are on limited budgets.

Do a search for foamy trailers or check out this link:

My Foam Built Micro Camper: 18 Steps (with Pictures)
Old 08-16-2017, 10:00 AM   #11
Sid

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
Tiny houses are aesthetically MUCH more appealing, they:

Allow complete customization of both design and layout
Can be as well built, or as cheaply built as your budget demands
Typically provide MUCH better insulation than a travel trailer
Are easier to heat/cool than travel trailers typically
Plumbing/utilities can be contained within the building, so are cold tolerant
Allow for owner building
If built by the owner, can ALWAYS be repaired by the owner
Total choice of materials for both structure, finish, and decor
Often include lofts for additional sleeping/storage space
Sense of satisfaction in building your own home

These are just a very few of the advantages, off the top of my head, of building a Tiny Home instead of living in a Travel Trailer.

Most Tiny Homes are not meant to be moved regularly as a Travel Trailer is, so it is not appropriate to compare them on this one criteria, and deem them inferior. They are designed for a different purpose, and when used for this purpose can be exceedingly superior.

I studied Tiny Homes extensively for my retirement, but have purchased a 13 foot Scamp for now - I want to travel for a few years. In the future, however, a Tiny Home may well serve me as a better choice for a more anchored home.

Warning: Do NOT get your information from the TV shows. They are to make money and gain viewers, not to present unbiased information. Kinda like learning to date by watching "The Bachelor".
I would agree with you Lyle but in the ad they state "as a weekend getaway or a travel companion". To my read they are implying towing regularly down the road. Structurally I don't see this holding together.
I believe you are correcet when you think of them as anchored somewhere.
Sid
Old 08-16-2017, 10:01 AM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Why tiny houses?

Because owning a home is the American Dream! Only half kidding.

I started out set to agree with the original post.

But, I could see the one pictured, 102 sq ft, $36,000 used by a college student or grad student. It might have some residual value when they are done studying. While it is fairly high $ per sq. ft., remember that like RVs, the smallest ones have most of the same kitchen, bath, heating/cooling systems that much larger domiciles have.

I guess I would add that the same sort of people comfortable fulltiming in 13-20' trailers, less a 3' hitch, would probably be happy in these. Might also work on a lakefront lot, or as a guest house, teenager bedroom, or while a larger home is built.

Housing is not particularly affordable in Denver. I've thought that in some cases these structures could be placed as in fill on smaller lots and vacant fragments.

Aspen Skiing Corp. has struggled to find affordable housing for employees. They turned to 500 sq ft tiny houses that are 300 sq ft main floor with two 100 sq ft lofts. They initially bought six for about $100,000 each. Rent is $600/mo. Now I think they have 10 or 20 units. They are parked at a campground. It is probably a good solution to a tough problem.

Tiny Houses at the Aspen Ski Company - TINY HOUSE TOWN
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:03 AM   #13

None
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBreez View Post
Let's call it what it is: a tiny house is a SHED. Putting it on wheels just makes it semi-portable.
It also allows them to be built in most instances. Our building codes, written by the building industry and bankers to insure we all live in "too large and wasteful" homes, do not allow building Tiny Houses. They MUST be built on trailers in order to be accepted in the gray fringes of legality.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:10 AM   #14

None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
I would agree with you Lyle but in the ad they state "as a weekend getaway or a travel companion". To my read they are implying towing regularly down the road. Structurally I don't see this holding together.
I believe you are correcet when you think of them as anchored somewhere.
Sid
Again, this is a company, out to make money and cashing in on the Tiny House movement. It is not fair to then conclude that the Tiny House Movement is misguided, which is what your original post seemed to imply.

I concede that perhaps you intended to mean that this particular venture was misguided, but others apparently took it as a general condemnation, at least I did, of the entire idea of Tiny Houses.

Anyway, I've made my point now, so I will shut up. :-)
Old 08-16-2017, 10:22 AM   #15
Sid

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I concede that perhaps you intended to mean that this particular venture was misguided, but others apparently took it as a general condemnation, at least I did, of the entire idea of Tiny Houses.
Sorry,
In my attempt to be brief i was not clear. I was referencing this offering and this offering only.
To each his own...
Old 08-16-2017, 10:25 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I am one who does not believe this is a misguided movement at all.

I fully agree that it is a great option for people, especially young folk, who are trying to get a foothold in life. If these people are happy with it, who are we to criticise them. There is no doubt that this movement over the last century of a bigger home is always better is out of hand. I have fallen victim to it too. Not living beyond my means, but definitely beyond my needs.

If they are built properly, they would be way more funcional and roomy than a travel trailer. I do believe they should be built to a certain standard in order to quality for a recognized status. I have seen some builds that make me cringe with the quality and safety of the workmanship, while I have also seen some very well built small homes, done with some great ingenuity.

As is with our big stick built homes on foundations, I do believe there is a place for these homes too. Perhaps we need to see communities that focus on them, where they do not affect existing neighbourhoods. A place where they can share ideas, maybe a cooperative utility setup too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:26 AM   #17

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
to each his own.....

if you want new...and want LOTS of insulation, double pane windows, a full size bathroom and a large (by our standards here) kitchen....something is going to have to go....like a dinette area....no surprise...

as for price....see below
Attached Thumbnails
air.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:29 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We have an 8 ft X 12 ft hunting shed / shack that we built for under $3000 . If I classify it as a Tiny Home does it then become a $30,000 shed / shack ?
If you live in your vehicle , then your vehicle is your home but that still doesn't make your vehicle a house .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:32 AM   #19

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Sometimes the idea of less = more is true. In the case of tiny houses, small travel trailers, and filled backpacks this is very true. Small teaches you that all the stuff you thought you needed you don't.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:54 AM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If it has year-round insulation, heat, electricity, and complete cooking, sleeping, and plumbing facilities, then perhaps yes.

It is clear the the definition of "house" is in the process of revision. Because there are so many vested interests involved- banks, builders and building codes, insurers, homeowners, local governments- change will be slow and messy. But the status quo is unsustainable, which will ultimately drive change.

Tiny houses are an opening move in the game of change. So are micro apartments. The end result will probably look different than either.

Neither has the same purpose as a travel trailer, but tiny homes are exploiting the superficial similarities- wheels and a coupler- to gain a foothold. Some buyers who don't consider all the ramifications- where they can park it and how they will get access to utilities- will get burned. But then, more than a few travel trailer buyers have gotten suckered into products they didn't really need or couldn't use, too. Doesn't mean the idea is wrong for everyone, everywhere.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner