Visiting Lil Snoozy Factory 7/21 - Likely Putting down a Deposit - Questions - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2017, 09:32 PM   #61

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Are you only running the trailer into and out of the garage once a year, e.g. for the winter? If after every trip, sounds like a lot of trouble. Might be easier to enlarge the garage door.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:16 PM   #62

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
It looks like there may be room to enlarge the doorway upward. I would not move the trailer on flat tires, the rims can cut the insides and ruin them.

Did you get any leeway on the down payment? Or did you have to hand them $10k?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:25 PM   #63

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
After seeing the pic of your garage I have to agree with Mr Lynn. Depending on the ceiling clearance, raising the door opening would be the way to go. I'd do it in a heartbeat .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:40 AM   #64

Name: KC
Trailer: LiL Snoozy
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
After seeing the pic of your garage I have to agree with Mr Lynn. Depending on the ceiling clearance, raising the door opening would be the way to go. I'd do it in a heartbeat .
In a few years raising the garage door might be an option, but I do know that is not a cheap one. I spoke with the builder of the home about it recently. It will require another door panel, rerun the track on the garage door, etc etc.

We will store the Snoozy most every time we come back from a trip, unless we know we'll be going out the next week, etc etc. So I've just been brainstorming different ideas that will be the easiest, safest, and quickest. I have air tools to zip the tires on & off. I certainly have plenty of time to figure this out Thank you everyone for the input!
KCGuy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:05 AM   #65

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
[QUOTE=Tony R;651910]In a few years raising the garage door might be an option, but I do know that is not a cheap one. I spoke with the builder of the home about it recently. It will require another door panel, rerun the track on the garage door, etc etc. QUOTE]

Have to chuckle as I've got the depression era mindset from my Dad and am a DIYer even at my age now. The extra for the door is minimal $, a longer upright track and an extra door panel as long as the ceiling is good for clearance. Your siding is wood, not stucco, piece of cake for a larger opening. Your choice, but I'd do it and $ be danged .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:56 AM   #66

Name: KC
Trailer: LiL Snoozy
Missouri
Anyone who currently owns a Snoozy know if the Wesco Trailer uses 10" Hub & Drum assembly? Fairly sure it does......I think I can go with a 12" wheel to roll it in the garage giving it even more clearance for the garage :-)

https://www.etrailer.com/p-TTW240545SM1.html

Lifting the garage is an option down the road. Just not in the next year or so :P
KCGuy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:31 PM   #67

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Congrats Tony on chosing LS. Hope you love yours as much as I love mine.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:04 PM   #68

Name: Andrew
Trailer: On the market
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsedwebt View Post
I wonder if you would consider another kind of trailer? I looked at several options over the years and posted this in another thread but thought it might provoke some thought for you as well. ------- If someone wants a large quality travel trailer that is not too expensive, not too prone to leaks, well built, lightweight, etc....it can be done! I have looked into several options over the years. What I thought would be a good idea would be a large cargo trailer or a horse trailer converted by one of several companies that specialize in doing just this. Making an RV from a cargo trailer or horse trailer. These are available cheap and they are good quality. They are designed for INDUSTRIAL use so you know they are good. All the work is custom and you choose what the layout is, materials, colors, etc... You want all real wood, tile floor, granite countertops, house fridge, house sink, washer/dryer, full bath with tub, real toilet, garage door with parking for a car, drop down outdoor deck, etc... it can all be had for a reasonable cost and much better than the mass produced junk being shoved down our throats.

I thought about converting a horse trailer, also. The email I got from the owner told me that their trailers are not designed for this kind of thing. Does anyone know a company that does this kind of renovation?
saltydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:42 PM   #69

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
If you're looking at non-fiberglass, non-traditional, camping trailers, like cargo or horse trailers, you might want to take a look at the Timberline trailers, which they call 'camps', modeled after traditional sheep-herders' camp wagons. These are stickbuilt, to be sure, but don't look like they'd leak (with the rounded aluminum tops), and look a lot sturdier than the mainstream stickies; they are all-season, and claimed to be good for off-road. You can also get wood stoves in them!

http://www.wrcamps.com/wp-content/up...2017-Final.pdf

Timberline has been taken over by a company called Western. I've no idea of the prices, but if I were in the market for a 21-27' foot stickie, I'd sure be interested in these.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:19 PM   #70

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Those Timberlines are heavy!! Attractive interiors. Not sure I like the front door, seems like an invitation for leaks when driving in rain.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 04:38 AM   #71

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Congratulations Tony! It sounds like you put a lot of thought into your decision to go with Lil Snoozy. There's a lot to like about them. I'm sure you'll be happy with your decision.

We moved a year ago and looked for a home with a garage our trailer would fit. We had a Scamp 13 with a roof mounted A/C unit that I thought would fit in an 8' tall door. It turned out we needed 8' 5" clearance. We had a new door installed. The new 9' X 16' door and installation ended up costing around $2K. It would have been cheaper except the original door panels were no longer produced and the entire door had to be replaced, as opposed to adding another panel. It is so nice to have a clean, secure, place to store it between trips. An estimate doesn't cost a thing. Peace of mind will be priceless. I agree with Dave, Mike and Mr Lynn.

TomK
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lil snoozy