Replacing 1974 boler hinges with new scamp hinges - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2015, 11:43 PM   #1

Name: Arne
Trailer: Boler 1975
Email
Replacing 1974 boler hinges with new scamp hinges

I've read where people have replaced original Boler hinges with Scamp hinges somewhere on the sight and had great success. I have received my new Scamp hinges in the mail and would like to do the same. However I'm not sure if I should use the same holes as the old hinges and drill the required third hole in the body required by each of the new hinges? Or should I be remounted the Scamp hinges in a completely different location and drilling new holes? To complicate things I've fiberglassed over the old holes so I can't even test the new hinges in the existing holes. I didn't think this through very well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1439185411.053253.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	87590

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
ArneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:47 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Although you can use the mounting holes in the door (the Scamp hinges will align to these) you still need to drill new holes on the body side because the hinge location will change because there is a different hinge offfset plus the Scamp uses 3 attachment holes on the body side.

Since you have to drill some new holes anyway I would recommend that you completly relocate the hinges. By measuring your door and dividing it into 3, I belive the total length of the door is 63" so mark 21" from the top and 42" from the top. By relocating the hinges to these locations it will allow the door to open fully without hitting the belly band.

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:39 PM   #3

Name: Arne
Trailer: Boler 1975
Email
Thanks Ian!!! Just completed the new hinge install and used your measurement. Door fits perfect. Thanks so much to you and this website.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
ArneB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, scamp