Tires for Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
Tires for Boler

Can anyone tell me the proper tire to use on a 1972 Boler? The ones I have on there are p155 80R13....The P is for passenger and is apparently wrong...I think trailer tires are st marked.

Wondering if I can fit an ST 175?

Thanks

David
dhwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:13 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Yes the correct replacement tire for your Boler is 175/80R13 ST My favourite brand is Maxxis M8008 ST Radial
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:33 AM   #3

Manitoba
Cool

Thanks Ian

Just checked out your site...this is going to be a great resource for me as I muddle through trying to restore my boler...I baught it last year and have done a bit to it but it needs a whole lot more.

Quick question I was looking at my tire and noticed the cap came off the end of what I assume is the bearing and a bunch of grease is coming out...I assume this is what you are refering to as the repacking the wheel bearing....Can you describe to me how to do this? Thanks

David
Old 08-11-2015, 10:33 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhwilder View Post
Cool

Thanks Ian

Just checked out your site...this is going to be a great resource for me as I muddle through trying to restore my boler...I baught it last year and have done a bit to it but it needs a whole lot more.

Quick question I was looking at my tire and noticed the cap came off the end of what I assume is the bearing and a bunch of grease is coming out...I assume this is what you are refering to as the repacking the wheel bearing....Can you describe to me how to do this? Thanks

David
Your welcome David
You will need to replace the bearing cap, it is important part in keeping dirt and moisture out of the bearings.
Here is a very good video from Dexter on repacking wheel bearings

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:48 PM   #5

Name: Kent
Trailer: 1974 1300 Boler
Manitoba
Just my 2 cents here, but ST trailer tires are not really needed for a 13' Boler.

Standard passenger tires such as 155/80R13 79T SL are more than sufficient for the weight of a Boler. The 79T is the load rating for each tire (963 lbs.).

So if your total trailer weight (less tongue weight) is less than 1926 lbs and it most definitely is (my 74 Boler weighs in "wet" at the scales at 1050 lbs, including tongue weight, as in not hooked to the TV.). When I say "wet", this is packed with food, coolers, bedding, camp chairs, etc. good for a 2 week run.

Further, I have run 155/80R13 79T passenger car tires on my Boler for the past 24 years (not the same set) with no problems. Always end up changing the tires due to age related cracks, not wear or failures of the tires.

Something like this would be fine: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....te&autoModClar=

Now if I was putting them on a utility trailer and expecting to dump a couple of yards of gravel or a hundred 2X4's on the trailer, I would definitely be recommending trailer rated tires.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:56 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmboler View Post
Just my 2 cents here, but ST trailer tires are not really needed for a 13' Boler.
Can you explain why you would run passenger tires instead of tires designed for a trailer?
Are they cheaper, last longer? What is your rationale for overruling the R&D departments of tire manufacturers?
Old 08-12-2015, 07:14 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I agree with Kent in post # 5, there is no real weight or work for these tires.
Really anything black and round outta about do it.
As for tires being designed for a trailer,, the tires on the back of every front wheel drive car do the same job as a trailer tire.
Passenger tires also give a better ride by flexing adding suspension travel and saving the Boler from the harsh ride of a tire designed for load carrying.
AS Kent states if the tire was to be actually loaded a trailer tire may be a better choice, but even a utility trailer seldom carries 2000 lbs.
I have a 74 Boler with many travels on it as well, never have considered a trailer tire for it and never will.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:28 AM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I believe that ST tire differences are mostly about improved tracking when towed, not about load carrying issues.
And, unless you have a Buick or other car that pivots in the middle, the question of needing ST tires on the back axle vs. passenger car tires is moot.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:49 PM   #9

Manitoba
Sidewall flex can contribute to trailer sway, but this is most likely to affect trailers with a high center of gravity and/or heavy units.

Neither apply to a 13' Boler or similar fiberglass RV.

I stand by my earlier statement.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:51 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmboler View Post
Sidewall flex can contribute to trailer sway, but this is most likely to affect trailers with a high center of gravity and/or heavy units.

Neither apply to a 13' Boler or similar fiberglass RV.

I stand by my earlier statement.
But, what is the advantage of passenger tires???
Old 08-12-2015, 03:07 PM   #11

Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Softer ride (easier on the trailer). Easier to find the right size. Lower cost.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:22 PM   #12

Name: Walter
British Columbia
Single axle less of a concern, tandem and triple axle trailers need ST tires or they chew up tires like popcorn

Sent remotely
EcoHeliGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:16 PM   #13

Manitoba
Thanks for all the input...one more question. ...does anyone know what size bearings the boler has?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 09-01-2015, 09:46 PM   #14

Manitoba
Just to conclude, Baught new ST tires 175 80r13 from princess auto...on sale for 89 each...put em on and looking good
Old 09-02-2015, 08:37 AM   #15

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13(sold!) & TDI tugboat
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
The advantage to passenger tires is they more closely regulated by DOT, and many are still made in countries w/ functioning civil court systems.

AFAIK all trailer tires are made in unknown chicomm facilities now, beyond the reach of DOT & the US civil court system.

Tags
boler, tires